Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-31-2020, 10:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rock Auto and Brakes

Hi Guys, want to swap in some new front rotors/pads and brake hoses. Just stock equivalent parts. As far as fitment issues, will I have any getting stuff from Rock Auto. I have a big store credit with them I need to use.

Do I need to get new bearings with this job.

Anything else I need to know.

Thank you!

Old 12-31-2020, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rock Auto sells many of the same parts as other suppliers and I've never had fitment issues so I assume you'll be fine. If your bearings are fine now, I vote to just clean and repack them.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 01-01-2021, 12:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you. So do most rotors have the race with them. And can I use older bearings with new races

Old 01-01-2021, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
Thank you. So do most rotors have the race with them. And can I use older bearings with new races
Any time I've bought rotors that have hubs integral, they came with races and lug studs.

Yes, you can re-use the bearings IF (big IF) they're otherwise in good condition.

Don't forget wheel seals. Brake fluid flush. Calipers in good condition?

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You should not put used Bearings even if they seem fine into new races!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

make sure you do the correct year on their parts. one time they sent me the bearings for the 79 that were the wrong size. but overall they send me the correct parts

Old 01-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm NOT a fan of ordering those type of parts on-line. Sure you can save some money but when the wrong parts show up or they don't fit well, piss-poor quality, damaged in shipping, etc, the lift is tied up and I'm shipping chit back hoping the next time it will be the right parts, fit well, etc.

It's also a death sentence for our local auto parts stores and even worse now with the pandemic upon us. I have an account at NAPA, have for decades, and they don't have any problems getting me what I want, and when it's the wrong parts, or doesn't fit, etc, I just throw them on the counter and they get me the right parts no questions asked.

About the only time I order some auto parts on-line is when the price difference is absolutely ridiculous, or something that's not available locally.....FWIW.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Their cataloging is pretty damn good, their cheap parts are pretty damn bad (as are most). Stick with quality names and not their "value line" of parts.

Shop local now.... or you may never be able to again!

Old 01-01-2021, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I'm NOT a fan of ordering those type of parts on-line. Sure you can save some money but when the wrong parts show up or they don't fit well, piss-poor quality, damaged in shipping, etc, the lift is tied up and I'm shipping chit back hoping the next time it will be the right parts, fit well, etc.

It's also a death sentence for our local auto parts stores and even worse now with the pandemic upon us. I have an account at NAPA, have for decades, and they don't have any problems getting me what I want, and when it's the wrong parts, or doesn't fit, etc, I just throw them on the counter and they get me the right parts no questions asked.

About the only time I order some auto parts on-line is when the price difference is absolutely ridiculous, or something that's not available locally.....FWIW.......
As a business owner who repairs cars for a living, I decided to create a policy for myself and customers. I am a NAPA master dealer, and get some extra discounts and perks as being such. I always go to the NAPA commercial site and look there first, and buy through them when possible. But I also look at Rock Auto too. They have a fantastic web site IMO, and my NAPA store also uses the Rock Auto site all the time at the store because the NAPA sites and their software isn't nearly as good as the Rock Auto site. (Sad). If a comparable part is within 25% of the Rock Auto price, I buy it from NAPA. That's because the shipping from Rock often eats the difference. Also, NAPA treats me like a king, always handles warranty professionally and generously and the people there are real parts experts with the three main employees having nearly 75 years of parts experience. That has value. But often Rock Auto blows NAPA and everyone else out of the water on some pricing. 1/2 price to 80% lower than NAPA on some items, especially closeouts. So I buy around 15% of my parts from Rock Auto. I will say other than a few lost items and a few things coming in freight damaged, Rock Auto is a solid business. Their return and core process is very smooth and I have never had an issue.

I do install some customer supplied parts, many shops do not. I find it to be a good source of return business as the vast majority of them are low quality Chinese white box parts. I warn them before installing and note on the invoice the parts are being installed without any warranty of any type. In the last three months, I have installed for the second time, 2 sets of front struts, 3 sets of front wheel bearing/hub assemblies, numerous lower control arms, idler arms, ball joints, tie rod ends and other parts. I get paid twice, they are easier to replace the second time because the bolts are not rusted, and I usually get to sell a quality part the second time. The customer also gets to learn a life lesson. You get what you pay for. In the case of Chinese white box parts, 6 months to a year, max.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I refuse to let customers supply their own brake, front end, suspension parts, etc. I reflects poorly on my business and many will often forget the fact that you told them when you were installing that junk that it wouldn't last for chit....FWIW.

When I do brake or front end work I want the job on and off of my lift in less than one day, if it's on here for days waiting on the right parts it's not making me money. So doing mail order parts for most jobs just doesn't cut it. I've found with this sort of thing that you can get the WRONG parts pretty easily, as the manufacturers made multiple changes during model year runs and changes within certain models. It's actually come to a point with some makes that the VIN is required to help get the right parts for them, and even then once in a while you get the wrong chit and have to return it.

In any case, I concur that Rock Auto's prices are tough to beat, even with shipping added in. Even with that said IF we continue to follow the current trend and let "Google" do all our research and buying for us, especially when it comes to auto parts, you will LOOSE the ability to shop locally as mentioned above.

I still remember when Walmart came into that deal decades ago. We no longer have a Harts Family Center, or a Kmart, and Sears finally closed it's doors recently. So Walmart is basically the "last man standing" and I absolutely HATE that place, and go there more for entertainment than anything else. Where else are you going to see a gal who's backside is wider than her shopping cart wearing Spandex, or the guy walking beside her in his pajamas with an oversize pair of hunting boots on his feet that aren't laced up!......LOL......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-02-2021, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I buy from the local NAPA about 50% of the time. Other than NAPA, the only other local retailer's are Advance Auto and Auto Zone - which sell the same parts as Rock Auto - only less of a selection. The convenience with Rock Auto, as mentioned above, is the very easy to navigate website and one stop shopping for everything. NAPA's website leaves much to be desired...

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 01-02-2021, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

+2 for NAPA's website not being up to par.

The average age of the counter help at mine is about 55 years old. They still use books to look things up for older vehicles and a LOT of them can walk right to the part you need without looking up anything!

Not sure what's going to happen when those guys retire, but I just filed for Social Security this morning so not worried much about it.

I almost NEVER use Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. The purple headed kids behind the counter with those big round expanders in their ear lobes don't know a starter solenoid from a wiper blade and rely on their computer screen to tell them the difference!......LOL....

Old 01-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I refuse to let customers supply their own brake, front end, suspension parts, etc. I reflects poorly on my business and many will often forget the fact that you told them when you were installing that junk that it wouldn't last for chit....FWIW.

When I do brake or front end work I want the job on and off of my lift in less than one day, if it's on here for days waiting on the right parts it's not making me money. So doing mail order parts for most jobs just doesn't cut it. I've found with this sort of thing that you can get the WRONG parts pretty easily, as the manufacturers made multiple changes during model year runs and changes within certain models. It's actually come to a point with some makes that the VIN is required to help get the right parts for them, and even then once in a while you get the wrong chit and have to return it.

In any case, I concur that Rock Auto's prices are tough to beat, even with shipping added in. Even with that said IF we continue to follow the current trend and let "Google" do all our research and buying for us, especially when it comes to auto parts, you will LOOSE the ability to shop locally as mentioned above.

I still remember when Walmart came into that deal decades ago. We no longer have a Harts Family Center, or a Kmart, and Sears finally closed it's doors recently. So Walmart is basically the "last man standing" and I absolutely HATE that place, and go there more for entertainment than anything else. Where else are you going to see a gal who's backside is wider than her shopping cart wearing Spandex, or the guy walking beside her in his pajamas with an oversize pair of hunting boots on his feet that aren't laced up!......LOL......Cliff
Cliff, my neighbor says that when he needs that entertainment and he's low on gas, he goes to this website instead of the real W/M:

https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/