THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that is so cool. like my mechanic says those old cats are hard to kill they definately have nine lives.

The Following User Says Thank You to muscle_collector For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the ride. Oh I thought you were going to buy it! Congratulations. Now on to what next?

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
that is so cool. like my mechanic says those old cats are hard to kill they definately have nine lives.
Yeah, I was really surprised that it operated as well as it did after sitting so long. Testament to a quality Made in America machine!

Old 01-11-2024, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Thanks for the ride. Oh I thought you were going to buy it! Congratulations. Now on to what next?
Well, I have to finish my '68 Lemans convertible (GTO clone, 455/TH400) and sell it, get my '69 Bronco barn find back on the road again, finish my '72 Alfa Romeo GTV and sell it, get my '91 F350 crew cab diesel dually back on the road again, and finish my '71 Javelin road race project...

Old 01-11-2024, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm interesting projects. Yes it's amazing how older equipment was designed and engineered. As I said my Cub Cadets with general maintenance not abused will work and work.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Today was another out-freaking-standing day!

Picked up my buddy Will at about 7 am; 35 or so degrees, which is frigid for south Texas! On site at about 9 am, sun was shining and it was warming up nicely! Ended up in the mid-70's by early afternoon; just a gorgeous south Texas "winter" day!

Worked on fluids first -- added another 5 gallons of diesel to the tank, then topped off the oil in the winch; turns out it was only a few quarts low. Next step was to add several quarts of 30W to the steering clutch booster.

At that point, our "tech advisor" Craig, showed up on site, with his lovely wife, Helen; they drove in from 2+ hours away. Craig has been running Cat dozers for 50+ years, so it was a huge help to have someone with his knowledge and experience as we tried to get the tractor moving.

Next, I managed to get the tractor started, but it wasn't as easy as I had expected. Anyway, I let it idle for 5-10 minutes to let everything warm up. After it was warm, I killed the engine, then started it up in Forward, 1st gear. I was half expecting it to jump, but it didn't do anything until I engaged the clutch, then it moved forward immediately and out of the hole that it had been sitting in for 10+ years which was a huge relief.

I didn't have much room to move forward, so I killed the engine and shifted into reverse, still in 1st gear (I wasn't able to shift while the engine was running because the clutch was still dragging).

Once I started the engine and started moving in reverse, I tried the steering brakes and clutches - both worked! I was able to steer without any problems. From there, I killed it again, put it in forward, 1st gear, and did a lap around the area (a few acres) where the dozer had been sitting. All went well, so I parked it for now, and topped off the engine oil (a few gallons low!) and the final drives (each took a few gallons of 90W).

I suspect I have culminated on this tractor. I did what I set out to do, did right by the old girl by getting her running and operating again, and now there's a decent chance that she'll get sold to someone who will put her back in service.

Will and I thought about making a stop at the Dusty Saddle Saloon on the way home, but I'm not a huge fan of women that chew Red Man, so we headed back to San Antonio!

Thanks again for all the input!

Scott
When does video #3 go on You Tube?

The Following User Says Thank You to tigergto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
When does video #3 go on You Tube?
Posted about an hour ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kAAxw6aMAs&t=6s

Old 01-13-2024, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For those of y'all who are familiar with old Cat dozers, since it looks like I'm done with this one, what should I look for if I wanted to buy one to tinker with? I'm thinking another Cat, something old (1960's vintage?) but in decent shape, pony motor would be great, and something that could be moved on an equipment trailer behind an F450 or something similar.

Any ideas?

Old 02-05-2024, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, it's back up for sale, this time for $8k. It was originally listed non-running for $5k, so $8k running/moving/steering doesn't sound unreasonable. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks