Old 02-05-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
Yes, the famous notched fan blades with a code TT on the radiator build sheet.
I wondered about that too, but as I understand it, the notched fan was only used on factory power steering cars, with the notch needed to clear the ps hose. Can someone please confirm?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Nice find and acquisition. What's the plate on the front bumper?
The original owner liked the German word for a butterfly, which is "schmetterling" if I am not mistaken. Might have been distantly related to Baron Von Zeppelin, especially since his car is essentially a sister car to mine.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeltempest View Post
I wondered about that too, but as I understand it, the notched fan was only used on factory power steering cars, with the notch needed to clear the ps hose. Can someone please confirm?
Negative.

My car is manual steering/manual brakes but came with the 19.5" notched fan.

The interpretation is that they only made one large diameter fan to cover both manual and power steering usages, in order to curb part proliferation.

We make those types of tradeoff decisions all the time.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
My 11th birthday...
Let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday this year!

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The car was ordered locally. I will post a copy of the original window sticker in a few days. Paint/Interior/Options: starlight black, parchment, red pinstripe, red line tires, rally ones, exhaust splitters, 3:90 Posi with close ratio 4 speed, tri-power, rally gauges, wood wheel, am radio with reverb, all light group components, rear defogger, full transistorized ignition, vanity mirror, quick ratio steering and semi-metallic brakes. Order date - 1/1/1965; built 2/17/65, delivery taken first week of March, 1965.
Perhaps I missed it but did you say what final assembly plant?

K

Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
and whatever #702 would be ?
Standard axle.

Seems like a lot of these '65s were equipped very similarly. I can think of four or five on this site that are nearly identical.

K

Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Perhaps I missed it but did you say what final assembly plant?

K
Keith, thanks for the clarification. Not exactly sure why the incorrect fan blade is there but it may be due to the early accident (1966) that the car was in. To answer yours and a few other reader's questions, the fin assembly plant was Pontiac and the car was ordered and purchased through City Motors in Valdese, NC. Guess I'm in the market for a notched fan.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Keith, thanks for the clarification. Not exactly sure why the incorrect fan blade is there but it may be due to the early accident (1966) that the car was in. To answer yours and a few other reader's questions, the fin assembly plant was Pontiac and the car was ordered and purchased through City Motors in Valdese, NC. Guess I'm in the market for a notched fan.
HIT, wow that must have been some accident for it to need a new fan.
Sounds like a head on collision.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Many years ago I was 2nd owner a 65 3.90 equipped with the large notched fan and I exchanged many engines in and out of that car, the notches are there to clear the hub of the pulley on the P/S pump. The longer blades necessitated the notches.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed View Post
HIT, wow that must have been some accident for it to need a new fan.
Sounds like a head on collision.
Not a head on collision, just a one sided low speed hit that replaced the driver's side fender, hood, and a few other items. I have the estimate from the body shop in 1966. I'll have to see exactly what was listed as needing to be replaced. Right side of car unaffected.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to hear the whole story myself. How you found it, how you talked them into selling it to you, etc....and of course, MORE PICS....When you get a chance.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whoever ordered that car new - and kept it all these years - knew what they were doing and what they had all along.

Very possible they switched to smaller fan to reduce engine load a wee bit.
The wee bits added up here and there.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They might have even sourced a 66-67 non-air fan shroud at some point and switched fans to fit ..... or something like that.

Would go in hand with finger guard being uninstalled too.
just random thoughts

Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Could it be?

Quote:
hit that replaced the driver's side fender, hood, and a few other items
I wonder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 GTO Crash.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	351965  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
the notches are there to clear the hub of the pulley on the P/S pump. The longer blades necessitated the notches.
Yes this is true, but as I mentioned in post #16 and Keith elaborated on in post #23 this HD 19.5'' notched fan also came on the manual steering 65's when the 3.90 or 4.33 rear end was ordered.
This 65 notched fan topic has been discussed many times on the forum.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Yes this is true, but as I mentioned in post #16 and Keith elaborated on in post #23 this HD 19.5'' notched fan also came on the manual steering 65's when the 3.90 or 4.33 rear end was ordered.
This 65 notched fan topic has been discussed many times on the forum.
My response was to a part of this question that no one else answered to my knowledge, in any posts in this discussion.

Quote:
Even though many people have discussed it in these forums before, no one answered his incorrect assumption that was about the actual reason for the notches to clear a PS hose, so his question was only partially answered. No they didn't make a separate fan for non PS cars, that portion of the question was indeed addressed by Keith. No, the notches were not to clear a hose, they were there to clear the hub of the pulley on the P/S pump. That was the portion that hadn't been addressed and I did address it in my post, I wasn't was not contradicting Keith in any way as Keith has his fathers car right at his house to refer to and in quite knowledgeable about 65 GTOs as well as many other subjects................................ Have a nice day!!!

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
... Keith has his fathers car right at his house to refer to...
Sidebar (a little comedic relief to this tense domestic scene):

I was visiting with one of the manufacturing managers and we started talking about cars. The conversation came around to the GTO, so I showed him a few pictures.

He asked (I thought a kind of odd question): "...where do you keep it?"

I thought for about a nanosecond and this popped into my head: "Under my bed!".

(lol)

This is actually true, since my bedroom is above the attached garage. Since the GTO is in the front garage, rather than back in the barn with the other collector cars it is, in fact "...under my bed."

K

Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Excellent find, these stories are great. Nice choice on no full resto. Hope to see it around NC someday.

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Thank you. I just found a correct 19.5" notched fan and dug out the correct finger guard to add as soon as I finish some major cleaning and assessing what needs to be done to safely crank the car. The last NC inspection sticker is 1971-72 and I doubt that it has been cranked since then.

The Following User Says Thank You to tarheeltempest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Nice find! I like the color combination. Please post some more pictures after you get it cleaned up
Mat