THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default rant - can anyone recommend a quality k cup coffeemaker other than Keurig?

We bought the one that just quit on 2/19/23 from Bed Bath and Beyond. The Keurig that died necessitating the purchase of this one was about a year old. I don't remember how old the Keurig before that one was but it wasn't ?? three years old. I called the Keurig "service" number and got someone from Bangladesh (I guess?) and had to give my wife the phone because I couldn't understand the woman. OK end of rant.

Can anyone recommend a good k cup coffeemaker? One that lasts several years.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used to use Keurig but I like espresso more so now we have a Nespresso. Not K cups though, it's their own proprietary type cups. They do make a machine that does both regular coffee and espresso. but we have an espresso only machine. I have no complaints about it, makes good espresso. We got the first one probably about 6 years ago, maybe more? It died after the warranty expired but they sent me a new one no charge anyway. I guess they'd rather have me continue buying coffee.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 11-20-2023, 09:02 PM

Everything these days seems to be more temporary than before! That keeps the 'Demand' in the Supply and Demand chain going! My Keurig is working fine but I'm considering giving up the convenience and going back to brewed coffee. Save a little cash and quit sending so much plastic to the landfill.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:56 PM

Try a Cuisinart. Mine does a pot with the K-cups next it for the one-hitters. Pricey, but has lasted years.

Old 11-20-2023, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The k cup coffee makes dont brew a fresh cup, tastes stale, s d I like to buy bean coffee to grind fresh daily, I found a black and decker coffee maker, takes ground or grinds beans from one cup to a pot fresh. It’s all I use.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by Stuart; 11-21-2023 at 07:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just started buying kureig coffee makers used on FB. $20-$50. If I get a year out of them I'm happy.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 11-21-2023, 02:54 AM
Senior Chief

I use a perculator or a cafetiere to make coffee.
We have a boiling water tap in the kitchen so it doesnt take long to make it eitger way and both ways produce a really nice coffee.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a kuerig when they first came out for Christmas. It crapped out after about 2 months. I cannot remember now what went wrong. Kuerig replaced it promptly and was great to deal with. I finally upgraded about 3 or 4 years ago and bought one that brews a pot of coffee as well. I have the reusable cups that you can put your own coffee into. We also have a bun coffee maker that brews by the pot only. It all depends on how fast I want a cup, and how much trouble I want to go through. Just a few minutes ago I didnt want to make too much a mess, threw a pod in and had a cup o joe. Was it the best coffee, UHM, thats a big negatory snowman! But it was coffee. I just saw an ad for an old fashioned percolator coffee maker (the kind mom used) and am planning on getting one of those.

To answer the op, I have used only kuerig and am happy with them. I understand your frustration with the customer service. I have been in that situation before and I politely will ask the person if they can speak any clearer or transfer to someone that can as I cannot understand what they are saying.

Old 11-21-2023, 05:28 PM

I have been using the same one now for about 3 years. I filter the water through a Zero water filter first. I was told that was the secret to longer useful life with them.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Weather you know it, that is a trick question.

K-cup = Keureg

So you will not be able to buy (outside of chinese black market knock offs) any K-cup brewer that isn't a Keureg.

Now, the new machines are definately not the same quality level as the older ones.
What makes matters worse is the water being used;
They foul up pretty quick, and if you use water that has extra "nutrients" they foul up even faster.

We bought ours (not a word of a lie) about eight years ago;
We bought it used, and pretty quickly I had to dismantle it to unclog it.
My wife is pretty vigilant on doing cleaning cycles with white vinegar when ever it seems to start giving funny dosage sizes.

We also don't use ours every day as we start the day with our conventional drip coffee maker - and brew a full batch;
The cost per cup of Keureg vs a conventional drip machine might frighten some... but the cost for convenience is sometimes worth it...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well Keurig is sending us a new coffee maker. I sent them the required information to prove we bought the defective one in February and it took back and forth with emails but they are standing behind their product.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that's great to read!!

In a similar manner, my wife had bought a pressure cooker, and it had issues early on - she inquired with the company, and they sent her a brand new one.

Although it's rare to hear of companies standing behind their products these days, it is really nice to read (or hear of it) once in a while!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I did t like about the one I had was the water sits in there getting nasty.
We have a one cup K at the shop, but the brew doesn’t taste fresh like grinding fresh,

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱