Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-16-2021, 11:57 AM

I run staggered tires on my cars and don't carry a spare in either one. I DO carry a toolkit that includes a 12V air compressor and tire plug kit and have used them twice over the last 30 years.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
The cure for that if a flat was on the rear, was to put a front tire on the rear and run the space saver up front.
Ok I see you get a left rear flat on a busty interstate. All you have is your bumper jack. You take off the flat tire and install the space saver. Now you jack up the front take off the tire and put on the flat tire. Then you take off the space saver and put on the front tire. Now go back to the front and take off the flat tire and put on the space saver. Got It. Then proceed to the nearest saloon and refresh yourself.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 02-16-2021, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by track73 View Post
Ok I see you get a left rear flat on a busty interstate. All you have is your bumper jack. You take off the flat tire and install the space saver. Now you jack up the front take off the tire and put on the flat tire. Then you take off the space saver and put on the front tire. Now go back to the front and take off the flat tire and put on the space saver. Got It. Then proceed to the nearest saloon and refresh yourself.

Call AAA?

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 02-16-2021, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I run 225/70r14 on the front of my GTO and 275/60R15 on the back. Rear has a true trac. I am about to get new tires and I have an extra 14 inch rally 2 wheel.

I was thinking I would take one of my old 225/70r14 tires and put it on the extra wheel to use as a spare. But I was wondering - would that work if I got a flat on the rear? Could I drive the car, say, 10 miles with a 225/70r14 on one side and a 275/60r15 on the other side, or would the truetrac cause issues?
Thanks for starting this thread A lot of info here I hadn't really given much thought to. (255-60-15 rear, 225-60-15 front here)

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 02-16-2021, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread A lot of info here I hadn't really given much thought to. (255-60-15 rear, 225-60-15 front here)
after all this, I am tempted to start another thread about swapping out my rally II’s for some aluminum wheels so I can bump the fronts up to 15’s!

Old 02-17-2021, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I can tell you guys haven't done this before. You don't take 3 tires on and off.

If you get a rear flat, you first take a front tire off and put the space saver up there. Then you go to the back and change your flat with the front tire you took off. It's really not that hard. As long as you're running the same height tires on the car front and back, which you are according to your first question, this trick works perfectly fine and will get you where you need to go to buy a new tire.

And for the record I never use the bumper jack, those things screw up the bumpers. I always carry a cheap scissor jack in the cars you can buy at Walmart. But that doesn't matter, the process is still the same.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 02-17-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't carry a spare, but it's not often I am in an area too far from a tow (cell service).

I also run new tires, never let them get past 4-5 years regardless of tread.

You need to rotate, or repurchase a spare tire on roughly the same interval of the other tires, even if it is an added cost. To me, a tow is cheaper, I flatbed everything.

That still doesn't mean I won't get a flat, but that certainly reduces the risk level.

My cars are so low, I would have to carry a low profile jack, not very practical, but at one time I did carry a cheap scissor jack. Those can break and fail, don't just get the cheapest one you can find.

With diff height tires, just be careful, you should be able to deal with it for a short distance. Just don't try to drive 300 miles home.

That said, try to run the same height tires, if you can, if you choose to carry a spare. If you can't carry a spare that works on both front & back, pick one, and if you run on end that is a diff height, be careful.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-17-2021, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i've been running this tire size combination since like 93 or so. I kind of like the rake and don't really want to change tire sizes. I thought about dropping down to a 255/60R15 on the back since technically a 275 is too wide for my wheels, but I've never had any problems with the 275. I just hope the tire shop doesn't give me any grief about mounting the 275 on a 7 inch wheel.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can do any rake you want with springs. Run the same size and put a 1/4" spacer in the back.

I would think that 15" tires have a fairly limited selection these days, and prob sit in warehouses for long periods of time. You would really do better all around if you went to a 17 or even 18 wheel.

But I understand many want to stay with more of an original look. You would be shocked what a diff it makes tho.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 02-17-2021, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would sell my car and just drive a Prius before I'd ever put big wheels on it. I try not to harsh on other people's choices, but never in a million years would I try to modernize my GTO with big wheels or an LS, anything like that. I want it to sound, smell, look, run, and feel like an old car. Just not my deal.

It's like blue cheese. I know there are perfectly normal, happy, reasonable people that eat blue cheese. But I don't want it in the same room with me, much less in my food!

Last edited by i82much; 02-17-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I do the same thing. roadside coverage is less than $5.00 per month on my policy and it covers me for more than just a flat tire.
I heard Clark Howard on the radio a while back saying to never use the roadside coverage on your regular auto insurance policy because they effectively count that claim like an accident, and use it as an excuse to raise your rates. It also goes into the database like an accident so other insurance companies count it that way and will rate you accordingly making it hard to change insurance companies.

He was basically saying that if you need a tow, your are better off paying for it yourself. I do not know if this applies to AAA.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator2 View Post
I heard Clark Howard on the radio a while back saying to never use the roadside coverage on your regular auto insurance policy because they effectively count that claim like an accident, and use it as an excuse to raise your rates. It also goes into the database like an accident so other insurance companies count it that way and will rate you accordingly making it hard to change insurance companies.

He was basically saying that if you need a tow, your are better off paying for it yourself. I do not know if this applies to AAA.
I used to work for State Farm Auto Insurance Company, more specifically in subrogation, but broadly in auto claims. I can tell you that at least from a standpoint of State Farm, they don't play those games.

If you're putting **** insurance on your car, yeah you may see those types of shenanigans. Technically speaking the laws would allow for it. That said, it's really bad business to be charging a fee for something like a roadside hazard rider, or a windshield rider and then start jacking up rates immediately after it's used.

In the insurance biz, if you play those games, start rapidly raising rates, dropping coverages etc. you can guarantee you'll lose that coverage as well as any other coverage you have on the books for that insured, to a competitor. Point being for small fry stuff like road side and glass, you'd have to be a pretty habitual offender to start seeing those things happen, assuming you're dealing with a reputable agency.

Edit: Wanted to point out that Clark isn't wrong in the strictest sense. Every incident will of course go into your policy records, otherwise how does it get paid out? The problem with the statement is it's overbroad and a generality that would of course be different company to company. I haven't heard the segment, but I would also guess he may be talking about filing a roadside claim on a policy that doesn't specifically have a roadside rider on it. That's different and asking the policy to do something it's not indemnifying itself against. So if you want to have your insurance policy cover roadside, it absolutely needs to have a roadside rider on it. Same thing for glass coverage, uninsured motorist coverage etc.

Last edited by JLMounce; 02-17-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
In 1979 the Pontiac Trans Am came with 225 70 15 tires and a Space Saver spare. Which wasn't as tall.
If I remember correctly, for 1986, if you did not get limited slip, you got a high pressure mini spare. My Trans AM WS6 with limited slip came with a folding inflatable spare so that it would be the same diameter as the 245/50R16 Gatorbacks.

The folded spare and inflator have never been removed from the trunk, but I only have 33k miles on the car so far. If I get a flat, I will get towed because I an sure it is no good any more.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I would sell my car and just drive a Prius before I'd ever put big wheels on it. I try not to harsh on other people's choices, but never in a million years would I try to modernize my GTO with big wheels or an LS, anything like that. I want it to sound, smell, look, run, and feel like an old car. Just not my deal.

It's like blue cheese. I know there are perfectly normal, happy, reasonable people that eat blue cheese. But I don't want it in the same room with me, much less in my food!
Well, the factory didn't mix and match sizes.

New Prius' come with spares.

I draw the line at blue cheese.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I'm in the same boat regarding wheel sizing. It's a personal choice and many people like the pro-touring look, but I personally draw the line at 15" for muscle cars. Sure, you're giving up a lot of tire options by not using a 17-18" wheel, but I prefer a more period appropriate tire appearance.

But then again, I also think the Prius is a perfectly fine car for its intended purpose and do eat blue cheese on occasion (it's great on burgers!).

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 02-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll just leave this here to stoke some flames.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8996.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	560991

Old 02-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I'll just leave this here to stoke some flames.

Attachment 560991
All I see is a picture of some gorgonzola???

Old 02-17-2021, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
All I see is a picture of some gorgonzola???
It's fine aged guda...

Old 02-17-2021, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it may be guda, but it would be bedda if you put some smaller wheels on it

Old 02-17-2021, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

man, i've been on this forum for years and thought most of you guys were ok. now i'm hearing all this about eating blue cheese and driving around on 18 inch wheels and thinking that I seriously misjudged you people. THIS IS NOT OK!!!