Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 04-25-2008, 04:37 PM

Unhappy Blue T/A

An appeal to new owners, from former owners like myself who really miss their cars a whole bunch!
I'm sure there are people like me out there, who would love to hear news, or maybe see pictures of their old car. And why not, maybe even reunite.
I realize that most owners are very protective of their car, and like to keep their where about's private, but there are some, I'm sure that would be willing to show what they have accomplished with their car, and some who maybe even interested in selling it. Why not offer an opportunity to former owners, and give them first dibs!?

Let me tell you guys how I "lost" my T/A. I was coerced into selling it, by my dear ex. She proposed that I'd choose between her and my car, like a jerk I married her, and sold my car. A man shouldn't have be forced to choose between his woman and his car! I'm no longer married, in retrospect, I should have kept her. I dearly and truly miss her, my car, I mean...

The T/A in question is a blue 70 1/2 with black interior (originally blue) and a four speed, VIN 228870N104350
sold 22 years ago in Brooklyn, NY.

Would love to know if she's ok, maybe see a picture... my dream is to one day reunite with her again. Thanks, you guys

Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 PM

I feel for you man!! I had a 68 Firebird that was fast, sounded good, and had a great dark blue metallic paint finish. I would go for a drive around the block and come back 3 hours later. Anyway, my ex made me sell the car to fix up the house. Got new windows, new roof, siding on the soffets and new eves along with a 1990 Tempo. Now I'm restoring a 70 judge and the new wife knows exactly what the pecking order is!
Dan

Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always traded in the wife/girlfriend & KEPT the CAR!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's hard for "normal" people to understand our feelings toward those cars. I am not afraid to say (here at least) that I do have feelings for my cars (67 Bird, 68 Bird and 68 Camaro) and they are sincere. They are timeless, like an Elvis Presley or a Frank Sinatra classic song. Besides, they don't make them anymore...they still make cranky women by the million... Frank.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

go to the dmv in the state of the last known owner and do a title history search, they usually cost about $30 and go back 15 years or so and it may get you back on the trail of the current owner or if it was ever salvaged, etc. in that state.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Chief

I thought I may have seen your car at an auction last week but the vin # did not match yours. RM Auction sold a 1970 Blue 4-Speed TA from Brooklyn last week end. The vin on that car was 228870N128489. The car sold for $32k + fee's. It look good from far but was far from good. There was considerable rust that had been covered up by mediocre body work and undercoating.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM

sorry to hear this but my cars aint going no where

Old 04-28-2024, 10:35 AM

Default 1970 TA Lucerne Blue - Burnweit Pontiac Nyack NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakepowell View Post
I thought I may have seen your car at an auction last week but the vin # did not match yours. RM Auction sold a 1970 Blue 4-Speed TA from Brooklyn last week end. The vin on that car was 228870N128489. The car sold for $32k + fee's. It look good from far but was far from good. There was considerable rust that had been covered up by mediocre body work and undercoating.
Funny! Just looking through the very old Lost & Found and see this quote and it’s my car! Obviously, the auction details caught my attention, because I was standing next to my good friend who bought it that day… I purchased it in Dec 2022 from the guy he sold it to in June 2020, who had the entire car repainted.

I know the history of the car obviously from 2008 on and a little detail from mid-2000’s when Unique Corvettes - Jason Scorsone supposedly took it in trade and then flipped to Frank Mecum - supposedly but I know no history prior… it’d be fun to find out this info….

Old 04-29-2024, 03:45 AM

Hi silver79toi, I was pleased to hear from you and had hoped it was "my " TA you had written about. You would basically like to find out more about your car's history previous to 2008, although you know a little about it's history in 2000; when the car was turned in for trade to Unique Corvettes. And we're talking about VIN 228870N128489, the TA you ended up buying correct?
These are some photos of "my" TA ( hope the new owner doesn't get offended), hope you like them:

https://i.ibb.co/rkfwWDv/IMG-0812.jpg - the day of pickup from Detroit from private owner (sorry, I lost recollection of that day/date, including the year!)
https://i.ibb.co/sJLgcm5/IMG-0807.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/VM2cB1j/IMG-0808.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/26RVhms/IMG-0809.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/8PkfhjR/IMG-0810.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/qn2r8xS/IMG-0811.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/RPX0wW1/IMG-0813.jpg

I've moved since to:
Carini PA, Sicily. (Italy)

Last edited by abarone300; 04-29-2024 at 03:50 AM. Reason: wanted to add that I've moved since
Old 04-29-2024, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck finding yer car....if she really understood you this wouldn't have happened

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 04-29-2024, 02:05 PM

Hey thanks! For a while yer got me there, and said to myself "I wonder what Side of the Mason Dixon Line He's from?" But then I remembered you Aussies love TAs almost as much as we do!

Old 04-29-2024, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Canadian cousin here...

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 04-29-2024, 06:58 PM

I beg your pardon good buddy. But the Australians do love their TAs, it must be them big V8s. and some of them still order parts all the way from Australia, it must be real love. I can no longer afford to order parts from here, I'm going to have to put aside my '79 TA project for another ten years I think. I'll be 80 before I can drive my TA again, that is if they'll let me keep my license. Ok, you take good care of your self kingbuzzo.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ya tuff times for sure...

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-04-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarone300 View Post
Hi silver79toi, I was pleased to hear from you and had hoped it was "my " TA you had written about. You would basically like to find out more about your car's history previous to 2008, although you know a little about it's history in 2000; when the car was turned in for trade to Unique Corvettes. And we're talking about VIN 228870N128489, the TA you ended up buying correct?

I've moved since to:
Carini PA, Sicily. (Italy)
Hi Aldo - thanks for sharing the photos of “your” car which as you noted unfortunately is not the “same VIN” as my car which just happened to be randomly mentioned in a earlier reply to your post. I appreciated you sharing your early photos, it’s neat to see and I can imagine and would hope that the original owner of my car may have taken photos day one or early years as well…

I do wish they were the same because they “mysterY would be solved for both of us….

Near as I can tell my car spent it’s first 30 years in the Long Island area until it came to TX in mid 2000’s… I won;’t hijack your thread further, but wish you all the luck in finding the rest of the story as well on your car!

Ciao’

Bryan

Old 05-04-2024, 03:06 PM

Thank you Bryan, it's funny how many "common denominators" these two cars have; both have the same color combination, both have seen Long Island ( I think the guy who bought it from me was from Long Island) , and my brother in law Brian accompanied me in the trip to Detroit to pick up the TA. Maybe if you get the opportunity it woulbe nice to se a picture of your TA. Thanks
Aldo

Old 05-04-2024, 03:11 PM

Thank you Bryan, it's funny how many "common denominators" these two cars have; both have the same color combination, both have seen Long Island ( I think the guy who bought it from me was from Long Island) , and my brother in law Brian accompanied me in the trip to Detroit to pick up the TA. Maybe if you get the opportunity it woulbe nice to se a picture of your TA. Thanks
Aldo

Old 05-04-2024, 03:27 PM

PS I just happened to see you're seven hours behind . You or do you live in
the Great Lakes Area (or it's possible I've the whole thing wrong...)

Old 05-05-2024, 08:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarone300 View Post
Aldo
Hi Aldo,

I am in TX which if I remember is about 7 hours behind Italy. Happy to share some photo's...

The first pic is the car in the RM (now RM Sotheby's) catalog March 2008 when it was sold at the Wayne Davis auction as the gentleman mentioned in his old post to this thread which is what caught my attention. Sports Guide Magazine in July 08 published the car resulting from the auction and they were kind to it...

The 2nd Photo is the car the day I brought it home in Dec 2022... As mentioned, it had since been repainted from the pre-2008 paint job. A reputable D/FW painter, Stuart's did the work (same guy who painted the Fast N Loud F40 years back). He normally would probably not have touched it based on what usually is in his shop, but as a favor to the former owner from 2020-2022 he did, and I am glad... I later went back to him and had the scoop painted, because it had the Ram Air decals on it from decades earlier (see photo).

My buddy sold it on Bring A Trailer in June 2020 to the guy who I later purchased it from, and the Pontiac faithful did not disappoint with the usual BAT replies doing their best to pick it apart.... One has to be thick skinned to sell a car there. The car's not perfect and I am OK with that... It makes a great driver....

I did closely look at the photos of the MCACN Award winning 70 TA that sold on BAT for $171K (which made me happy I had a driver for far less!) and made a bunch of improvements to the overall correctness and look of the car, some simple things some not (like the Rosette Clock Knob as well as the grounding lug from the scoop to the firewall that one I found in a wrecking yard!)

The car definitely has some NY History - the transmission is not numbers & was replaced in 1986 based on the casing stamp by Richie's Transmission in Ozone Park NY and the 8 Track was repaired at Model Electronics Inc located Nanuet, NY in June 87 based off the sticker still attached to it as well. The guy that owned it before selling to Jason Scorsone in mid 2000's lived in Wading River on Long Island and said he bought it from what he thought was the 2nd owner in a neighboring county as a partial resto and that's all I know about it.

Anyhow, like most of us on this Forum it's not my only Pontiac but it's up there as one of the favorites!

Hope you enjoy the photos - the last photo should bring a laugh. It's from the preview night before the auction at RM in 2008 and we joked it was a chick magnet! My buddy and I had a blast that night, made some great memories and when the car was one of the first to roll early on Saturday AM, he was there to nab it for below the catalog estimate. Wayne called him a Thief! LOL Regardless of the critics about what's right and what remains wrong, the car is fun, always gets looks and thumbs up when I drive it.

Again, good luck with your search, I do hope perhaps some of the recent activity between us on this thread will cause someone to go out in their shop and look at their Vin to see if it's your old car.

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Blue TA - Davis RM Auction 2008.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	633282   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221216_231527844.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	633283   Click image for larger version

Name:	1000003357.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	633286   Click image for larger version

Name:	PN 8900232 Grd Strap Receptacle 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	633287   Click image for larger version

Name:	T&A_on_TA.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	633288  

Old 05-06-2024, 03:06 AM

The car looks great Bryan! Great looking shots. I love the last shot in particular. kidding...
My car was in a totally different category, for one, it was a "driver"! To a point that I used to drive it anywhere ( I didn't realize the value the car it had at time, and the potentially enormous future value)
One night I even took it to the movies in a not so great neighborhood in Brooklyn, to find out at end of the movie that the TA was gone! It turns out, some kids had takin it for joy ride and planned to dismantle it and sell for parts. I was lucky enough to get all the pieces they taken off back (the TA was reduced to scrap to a point where I had have towed back to my house) the "friend" who helped me get the pieces back was so "convincing" that one morning I found ALL the parts lined up on my (of course I was amazed more than surprised).
After a couple of months of work, I was able to put the TA back together and "drive" it again. Yes, I didn't the lesson!
I did have a few other TA's before that, but that '70 really touched my heart and left a big void in it, when I had my arm twiisted and was "persuaded" to sell it.
One of greatest regrets I have, was not having enogh sense to not only look for it sooner! To think that in the mid-eighties not only you could still find a '70 TA for under 6,000, but you could also find an SD for under 8,000 ("Hemming News" was full of those ads), now you'de be lucky to find a a junky Firebid for that kind of money. Yes, I admit 8,000 dollars was a lot of money to spend for a used car in the late seventies and mid eighties, but it would have been worth it, don't you think?

Last edited by abarone300; 05-06-2024 at 03:16 AM.