Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-23-2020, 10:23 PM

Default northwind intake on first gen firebird

Hello guys trying to find out if the northwind intake manifold will fit underneath a stock ram air hood on a '68 firebird with a 455 motor and kaufman high port heads.

I don't have a hood yet so i'm open to suggestions, thanks!!!

Old 08-23-2020, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

I've been told it will fit. I have one on the way for my 68. I'm going with an XFlow FI setup. I'm really hoping it fits.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 08-24-2020, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaco View Post
Hello guys trying to find out if the northwind intake manifold will fit underneath a stock ram air hood on a '68 firebird with a 455 motor and kaufman high port heads.

The High Ports will put you a bit higher than stock. E heads and NW would have gotten you in the right spot.
Not saying you can't make it work though. Folks have ran High Ports with Victors and first gen hoods and they had to mill the Victor a bunch which compromised performance.
The new E heads with LS chambers and a Northwind are the hot ticket for 1st gens and stock hoods.
High Ports are still a raised port head any way you look at it. You can see the spacer built into them. IMO running them with scrawny air cleaners or cut down intakes defeats the purpose of a raised port head.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you running a 4150 carb or 4500? That could make a difference as the 4500 is taller. A friend had E-heads and a victor topped with a Dominator under a flat hood. He had to trim the carb bowl vents and remove th hood reinforcement over the carb. The NW intake is shorter, but high ports raise it up. So it will be close.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
Are you running a 4150 carb or 4500? That could make a difference as the 4500 is taller. A friend had E-heads and a victor topped with a Dominator under a flat hood. He had to trim the carb bowl vents and remove th hood reinforcement over the carb. The NW intake is shorter, but high ports raise it up. So it will be close.
I'm running a 4150

Old 08-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That will give you a little more room.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have installed a Northwind and a 4150 style Holley on two different early Firebirds, for customers. One was a 67' and the other a 69'. With a drop base air cleaner you've got room for a standard size air filter.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 08-24-2020, 04:58 PM

What you call standard size I'm looking to use a 14x3 air filter

Old 08-24-2020, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

From Tin Indian's site the measurement from the valley pan to the carb flange on the northwind is 9.622" Add half an inch to that for use on high ports.

To give you an idea, I currently have a torker II with a fitech on top and a 14x3" non-drop base filter that "just" fits under my stock 1969 Firebird hood (non 400). When I say just fits, I do mean just, the top of the filter lid contacts the underside of the hood enough to cause scraping, but not enough to cause deformation of the hood.

By my calculations, the addition of high port heads and the northwind intake would add 1.725" to the overall height where the fitech is 3.25" (I believe same as a holley 4150) from base to filter flange. So a 2" drop base air filter should theoretically allow for room under the hood of a stock first gen bird. Ultimately it's going to be close enough that major changes in how the engine is sitting in the cradle could make a difference here, you should definitely measure.

FWIW I actually talked with Jeff today about this specific scenario and he claims it'll fit.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaco View Post

I run a north wind with a 4500 in a first gen - I do have a glass 400 hood though... run it with a large drop base air cleaner... everything fits and runs good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk