Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 PM

Default wanna try something crazy!

498 cubes+ wenzler intake+8.0 cr+twin GT45's T-88's rear mounted turbos. I saw some similar combo on a chevelle at the orlando street nationals this weekend, no computer, blow thru dominators and that thing ran 8.00s all day on a 10.5x29 tire at 3500lb, that thing was wicked!!!

Yes, no, maybe so?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Mike!!!! Turn off your caps lock!!!!!!

POCI.org
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be a kick ass combo. The trick is to keep the exhaust temps high going to the turbo. Not sure you would need twin dominators though. Sheck out the turbo section on Pontiac Zone. There are alot of interesting builds going on there.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been doing a lot of studying on rear mounted turbos lately. Check out a guy called onebadpontiac on the Pontiac Zone Forums. Also look at you tube for Sleeper Pontiac. He had a 63 tempest that had a BBC that was painted to look like a stock pontiac motor and it had rear mounted Holset turbos. It was bad, bad, bad. You could tell in some of the videos that it has some lag though. It will leave really easy and then go crazy on the other end. Smoke the tires for the second half of the track.

It made over 1200 hp at the wheels.

You really cant find out much about rear mounted. There are compromizes to it. But depending on your goals, the compromizes may not effect you. You can definitely get the most performance out of your turbos if you mount them right on the manifolds, but most street cars can use some lag to get moving without blowing the tires off. You can reduce the size of the turbos some to increase the spool rate at the expence of some top end power. But two small turbos are going to make alot more power than you can use on the street anyway.

Basically, I really like rear mounted for the street, but for a race car I would mount them in the front. For more performance, easier to work on, and cool looks.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

Regardless of how much people tell me otherwise, I tend to think the rear mount is too much headache

If you haven't built a turbo car in the past, stick to simplying things with the turbos in the front. Good 'ole gravity oil drain for the turbos...back into the oil pan

And once you've worked through the learning curve...you can deal with the oil scavenging pumps and other issues extra to the rear mount setup

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE