THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Senior Chief

I'm probably older than most of you guys and like the ol' Pontiacs loud..... just want to hear the ENGINE as it is music to my ears. I've tried all kinds of exhaust systems over the years on GTOs and found that with quiet exhaust you might start noticing noise ya don't want to hear such as squeeks, rattles, windnoise, or even Rhoads lifters may become irritating. Quiet, smooth, with no vibration whatsoever is fine on my regular cars, but for the musclecars, fast, loud, shakey, roaring, smelly (including tire smoke) high performance, v-8 is all part of the experience.

Last edited by AGTO8U; 12-05-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny this thread came along...My 455 Skylark is VERY loud. I'm getting old and wanted it quiet(er) so I bought a mandrel bent 3" "X" pipe exhaust and some Turbo mufflers with 2 1/2" mandrel bent tailpipes. Haven't put them on yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mi...XxP8Q&index=17

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdw8viZ0dSk

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I'll take fast & loud, preferably with a good stereo too.

BTW, around here it would seem, every Prius owner is an ***hole!
Same here! They stay in the left lane till they're forced out or they pass and cut in front of you, only to slow down again. Two years to retirement, then I won't have to deal with it much!

Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My car has always been very noisy. straight thru header mufflers,solid lifters,m22 rockcrusher trans and geardrive.

This summer I put quieter dynomax mufflers on with a full exhaust. Last month I got tired of the annoying geardrive and replaced it with a stock type timing set. Car has not run right since then...it hates me now. Yep,i'm over 50.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 AM
Suspended

When I brought my car home, (bought new) it was real quite & you could hear the AM radio real good. On the 2nd day I had it I went to a friends house & we went to a wholesale house & I bought a set of real set of Doug headers. Bruce had an eldo P4B intake & the adapter. I pulled the complete exhaust off the car, put the headers on & the intake with adapter & the Q-jet went back on. I started the car up with just the headers open. WOW was that loud. But it made me smile. Well i had to go all the back to VA as I was in the Navy & stationed in Norfolk VA on board ship. I drove it around town & knew I would be in deep DO-DO if I tried to go back that way. It's a wonder I didn't get stopped at that time. Well I broke down & put on some Thrush header mufflers on it & drove it that way for about 2 years. Loved it the entire time. Even though VA had a car inspection & it was required to get my base sticker I had a friend who helped me out with the inspection & got my base sticker. After I got married I put on full exhaust with RA III exhaust manifolds for about 10 years. It was quite , & it was ok , but I went through a couple of engine upgrades & now I'm back to RA IV manifolds & exhaust that ends at the axle with again some Thrush muffles that are the noisey type but the car sounds so good I don't ever want to change it back. I'm 60 years old & have almost all of my hearing too.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread brings to mind a Road & Track road test of the Porsche 911 Turbo from a while back. I read it when it came out and it has stuck with me.

They were playing with the 911 Turbo and it's launch control system and cranked off over 60 (!!!!) back to back 1/4 mile blasts, with a best of 10.9! Surely impressive stuff… but this what they had to say-

"And yet, is that really what we want? One could argue that speed has become ubiquitous. Perhaps not 911 Turbo speed, but base Corvettes now sprint to 60 in under 4 seconds. Maybe what we really crave is more of an emotional connection. By that measure, the Turbo is a little wanting. It's clinical, simply asking what sort of speed is desired, then providing it while the driver steps aside. Maybe we want to be more than just a guy ordering off a menu...

... The current Turbo is no longer the thrill ride it was in the 1970s and 1980s. It's matured into one of the most quietly capable machines available. For that, it earns our highest respect. But not our love."

Full article here- http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-65-7-roa0314/

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 12-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing sounds finer than the exhaust roaring, the intake moaning and the rear tires screaming. Or an idle with a bump to it.

Age 57.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm in the fast/loud group. The sound of a lopey idle gets my heart racing. One of my bucket list projects is to build a sleeper type car with electric cutouts to get the best of both worlds. If you like being noticed on the street, being loud will get you noticed whether you're cruising 35 mph past the local burger joint or if you're mashing the pedal headed out of town. Quiet cars have to be seen to be noticed.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the fast and loud crowd. But I'm also in the quiet, fast and smooth crowd, and I'm also in the rough and crude crowd. Oh, and I'm in the "nearly 50" crowd, which is "old" according to my son, that whipper snapper!

That's why I have three VERY different vehicles and love each one, differently, sort of like kids I guess. LOL

But nothing does it more than this...

https://youtu.be/9SS9MaYCynU

This is fun too...

https://youtu.be/xlvjXHDetJo

But overall, I must say that i love driving this as a daily more than any DD I've ever owned:

469, M21, 3.42

Old 12-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

Got tired of loud/fast/choppy by the time I was 19. Give me a quiet/slow/floaty of a stock Darksider.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
This thread brings to mind a Road & Track road test of the Porsche 911 Turbo from a while back. I read it when it came out and it has stuck with me.

They were playing with the 911 Turbo and it's launch control system and cranked off over 60 (!!!!) back to back 1/4 mile blasts, with a best of 10.9! Surely impressive stuff… but this what they had to say-

"And yet, is that really what we want? One could argue that speed has become ubiquitous. Perhaps not 911 Turbo speed, but base Corvettes now sprint to 60 in under 4 seconds. Maybe what we really crave is more of an emotional connection. By that measure, the Turbo is a little wanting. It's clinical, simply asking what sort of speed is desired, then providing it while the driver steps aside. Maybe we want to be more than just a guy ordering off a menu...

... The current Turbo is no longer the thrill ride it was in the 1970s and 1980s. It's matured into one of the most quietly capable machines available. For that, it earns our highest respect. But not our love."

Full article here- http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-65-7-roa0314/
Wow, that's a little harsh but I can completely understand why that's the decision they came to and the words they chose to express it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Nothing sounds finer than the exhaust roaring, the intake moaning and the rear tires screaming. Or an idle with a bump to it.

Age 57.
Perfectly put!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

loud is a very subjective term.

For the people that say they like it loud can they still carry a normal conversation driving down the road without yelling? And do your ears buzz after driving for an hour strait. To me that is loud.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again, it's not an either-or proposition. With all the different mufflers and choices for exhaust systems out there it's entirely possible to have an exhaust that sounds great but isn't setting off car alarms down the block.

That said, I really like the sound of the Flowmaster system on my Formula and it does set off car alarms in enclosed spaces like a parking garage but it's not super loud. I love that Flowmaster sound but the general consensus is that it's a fairly restrictive setup so I'll be changing it in the near future. I just hope what I end up with isn't any louder.

I want to hear the sound of the cam and I want to hear the V8 making music at WOT, I just don't want it to be so loud I can't hear anything else. I like the mechanical music of the engine and transmission, too and I don't want it droning and drowning out conversation or the radio on the freeway.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

Loud is good. I'm almost 53, my GTO is LOUD. It has Hedman headers, 3" pipes with X-pipe, and Pypes Violator "mufflers". Plus three 2-barrel carbs. At WOT you can hear it 2 miles away. And it is f'in awesome.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

My Ventura is the loudest of my cars. It has only 3" header mufflers for exhaust as I wanted to keep the car light as possible. Went to the annual cruise in Vernon, Tx and just idling in traffic around for a couple hours the car got alot of attention from its dynamic thumping sound. On the way home, crusing at 2000 rpm I like to hear the wife's voice distort in conversation...yeah. At a stop sign by a frontage road I floored it, immediately reved to 5800 rpm, quickly shifted to 2nd and it stayed 5000 rpm until it got up to the 75 mph speed limit some 500ft later. The interior filled with smoke and it took awhile for it to blow out the open windows..........sweet!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 PM

I'm 61 and still like the fast and loud. My 67 Chevelle has Flowmaster 80's on it and I can't even talk to my passengers until I get above 35 mph. The radio (AM) doesn't work but I couldn't hear it anyway. I once had a cop tell me that my car should be illegal, unless he was driving it! If I want quieter I drive the Grand Prix. Between my Chevelle and my son's diesel truck, I also had a neighbor tell me, "Doesn't anyone have a damn muffler in that family!" They were all happy when he sold the truck!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 PM

My GTO has tri-power, cut-outs and a M22. I'm not sneaking up on anybody

Old 12-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took the mufflers off my '09 challenger R/T....

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

I love driving my buddies 70 fb , straight pipe off the headers. But I will say I'm torn on what to do with my formy. It's stock, original low mile car, that I want to keep orginal as possible. I need a new muffler as I blew a hole in it coming home from the nats. I would like an nos muffler, but then no rumble, or do I go for the rumble? Or maybe I should go stock and just buy another fb.lol