Old 12-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Non-traditional 61-63 Customs

A 61 wagon on ebay got me wondering what this group thinks of pro touring, restomod, non-traditional 61-63 builds. About my only no-no is installing a 55-98 sbc, but that distain extends well beyond the Little Indian community.

Pics of the 61 wagon posted for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	345167   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57b.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	345168   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57c.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	345169  

Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice car, don't care for the wheels. as far as the mods, as long as it's traditionally powered it ok with me, although, I must admit, an LS3 in one would make a real nice package.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I would have done some things differently to that car.

Since you brought up the LS series I'll add that there are very few choices when it comes to building one of these cars into something that can compete head-to-head with modern street muscle. That said, how many pontiac irons are out there wrapped in coil packs, EFI, crank triggers, etc?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 PM

I personally love the idea of older cars with modern handling, braking and so on then again I also like stock vehicles. I have owned anything from '66-'67 Fairlanes, '70 Torino GT, '68 AMX, '71 Vette and '67 Nova SS to a '76 Porsche 911, VW's and even two Pinto's to name a SMALL few. I have a car addiction, forgive me. Now if I could only work on them as well as I bought and drove them.

I have owned modern sports cars as well to include a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport, 2010 EVO X, 2012 Challenger SRT-8 392 and 2013 Boss 302.

Now granted these rides have come and gone and have been substituted for a 2013 Ram 4x4 and my wife's Caliber. Also I have the '62 Tempest Vert and the '82 Mustang GT to toy with. Due to being medically discharged from the Army after 13 years in March and kissing a good paying job goodbye and the wife being back in school now I do not have the funds to get as crazy as I once did. Maybe that will change in the near future.

Sorry for the life story but I just wanted to share some background info to show I have owned a gambit of fast and well handling cars and butt-load of the opposite. It also serves to show that I don't care what make or model it is as long as it has wheels and an engine!

Now I do not have the same issue with say putting a SBC in my Tempest or even the Z06 chassis swap. wink, wink! If I had the money that would be awesome. Right now it is going to be fix my rust and try not to break my transaxle and blow up my 4 cyl! I am definitely not a fan of Chevy's in Ford's or vice-versa but to each their own. And to some here, putting a Chevy in a Pontiac might be just as bad or worse. I admire that loyalty and dedication. I for one am 39 and still haven't decided what kind of car guy I wanna be when I grow up. I only know that it has to be a car. As long as it doesn't have 10 foot wing spoilers, spinning hubcaps and an Auto Zone sticker pack pasted all over it I am good!

As you all know and I recently found out, these are not cookie cutter Mustang's or Camaro's where parts are plentiful. Be creative and change it up by thinking outside the box and adding your own touch and personality to them or keep them as stock as possible and drive them half a million miles! Either way, as long as these and other cars continue to be saved, restored, driven, modified or whatever then we can all enjoy them and keep pieces of American automotive history alive.

Again, sorry for the "rant". Keep the great advice and info coming!

Thanks and have a good one,

Todd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5e46c6d55.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	345181  

Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My restomod-blue oil pan -421sd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3892 - Copy.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	345269  

The Following User Says Thank You to beemergary For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default '62 Custom

Don't know if I've posted this one on here, but the guy lives near me and I first saw it at Cool Desert Nights 2 years ago. Fell in love with it when I saw he kept the 195 4 cyl. and added a Procharger, port fuel injection and a hand-fabbed long runner intake. I had the guys that did the paint and body on this one over last weekend to give me an estimate on my '63. Very impressed with their work
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	345270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	345271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	345272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	345273  

Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even has a touch of early 60's show look to it.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
A 61 wagon on ebay got me wondering what this group thinks of pro touring, restomod, non-traditional 61-63 builds. ...
I wrote restomod, but meant to write restorod. Restomod having original pattern interior and restorod not. At least that's how I'd define the difference if my arm was twisted --

Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho-V View Post
Don't know if I've posted this one on here, but the guy lives near me and I first saw it at Cool Desert Nights 2 years ago. Fell in love with it when I saw he kept the 195 4 cyl. and added a Procharger, port fuel injection and a hand-fabbed long runner intake. I had the guys that did the paint and body on this one over last weekend to give me an estimate on my '63. Very impressed with their work
I think this car was posted here before -- or I saw it on the Little Indians site. Perhaps both. I'm interested in what suspension is under it.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Senior Chief

Dave, if I'm not totally mistaken, this car has been converted to a standard axle and tranny. I say this because I think I remember seeing a custom console and shifter. EVERYTHING on the car is one-off.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No doubt. Wonder if air-ride and whatnot --

Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
My restomod-blue oil pan -421sd
One of the best wagons I've seen, Was what I had in mind for mine.
I'm having to much fun as a daily driver with mine to paint it yet.
I believe I'll keep mine the original color when I do decide to do it up.
Great job Gary.

GT.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
One of the best wagons I've seen, Was what I had in mind for mine.
I'm having to much fun as a daily driver with mine to paint it yet.
I believe I'll keep mine the original color when I do decide to do it up.
Great job Gary.

GT.
My original color was almond (No Way). Luv Pontiac Dawnfire Mist-but with the burgundy/red/white interior would be too much. Don't care for black (always looks dirty) but gives a care a rich bad a$$ look and most other people like it. Even left off the roof rack for a more racey look. Had it out of the garage only once this summer. Thanks for the comment bluegoast

Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
My original color was almond (No Way). Luv Pontiac Dawnfire Mist-but with the burgundy/red/white interior would be too much. Don't care for black (always looks dirty) but gives a care a rich bad a$$ look and most other people like it. Even left off the roof rack for a more racey look. Had it out of the garage only once this summer. Thanks for the comment bluegoast
I'll second BG's comments Gary, GREAT looking car.

Stan

Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I think this car was posted here before -- or I saw it on the Little Indians site. Perhaps both. I'm interested in what suspension is under it.
This is the rear suspension pic. Kinda low, but someone may recognize it.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkeebler View Post
This is the rear suspension pic. Kinda low, but someone may recognize it.

Looks like a typical Ford 9" with a Alston type four link but with air bags rather than coil overs.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Nice car, don't care for the wheels.
I think the wheels should fit the theme. That red 61 wagon is a restomod as it sits with potential for pro touring. The current wheels not being the right choice for either. Curious as to what wheel you'd put on it.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I think the wheels should fit the theme. That red 61 wagon is a restomod as it sits with potential for pro touring. The current wheels not being the right choice for either. Curious as to what wheel you'd put on it.

Hey Dave, IF STEEL, probably the same thing I am going to do to my blk cp. set of custom widened Rally 1's maybe with the "base" wheel color same as the car, that or a set of widened stock wheels with poverty caps.

OR if I was inclined to go billet, one of the kidney bean retro wheels out there similar to the old Hilbrant/laker mag wheels.

If it was to be more of a pro touring car, I would step up to some of the newer retro Cragars or Welds in a 17/18 setup.

JMHO

Old 12-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Hey Dave, IF STEEL, probably the same thing I am going to do to my blk cp. set of custom widened Rally 1's maybe with the "base" wheel color same as the car, that or a set of widened stock wheels with poverty caps.

OR if I was inclined to go billet, one of the kidney bean retro wheels out there similar to the old Hilbrant/laker mag wheels.

If it was to be more of a pro touring car, I would step up to some of the newer retro Cragars or Welds in a 17/18 setup.

JMHO
Something about kidney beans I like too. I'm putting a 63 wagon back on the road that came with a set of those.

17/18 is probably right for a small pro touring wagon. Would have to see 18/19s on it to rule it out. A popular combo, but don't think 18/20 would do it for me on that size car.

The Following User Says Thank You to 63Banshee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Something about kidney beans I like too. I'm putting a 63 wagon back on the road that came with a set of those.

17/18 is probably right for a small pro touring wagon. Would have to see 18/19s on it to rule it out. A popular combo, but don't think 18/20 would do it for me on that size car.
I don't think it would look "right" on a 61/62 but I COULD see a set of modded 8 lugs on 17/18 custom rims on a 63.

I know they arn't that much different (size wise), but to me, the 63's just have so much more of that "big car look" 8 lugs if done right might look pretty good.