Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-24-2022, 07:00 PM

Default Rebuild the original steering box or toss in the trash?

I have a 1971 GTO with 122k on the chassis and one of the oldest parts left is the original steering box. Every other component on the car has been rebuilt except the WW motor. On the highway I have a lot of play, which back in 1979 when I got it was normal, however it is time to tighten it up. Here are my choices;

1. Rebuild the original steering box so something on the car is original.
2. Toss in trash and install something better and what would better be?

Thanks is advance.

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
Old 10-24-2022, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Borgeson box, it is GREAT

Old 10-24-2022, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send your original to Turn One in Saginaw, Michigan for rebuild/enhancement. They did an excellent job on our 69 Firebird. 2-1/4 turns lock to lock. Very responsive, zero play. Very pleased.

Tim john---

Old 10-24-2022, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not an answer but another question to pose without hijacking….are parts available for rebuilds or only seal kits? Do these companies that rebuild just manufacture their own parts? I looked for parts to do more of a rebuild than a reseal and couldn’t find any. Though my box is still tolerable to me so resealing served my purpose.

Brian
Old 10-24-2022, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.powersteering.com/

Rebuilt mine and converted to Fast Ratio

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
The Following User Says Thank You to 67GTONUT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We got ours from Lee this year. Hokey Smokes, what a difference. The feel really is just like that of a modern car. If that's what you're looking for. So much easier to drive the car around town. I was really worried that it would result in a larger turning radius, and I told Lee that a couple of times. They have the same part number for an A-body or a 'Bird. But it's all good, same turning radius as before. Just way less turns of the wheel lock to lock.

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 10:24 PM

Who is Lee?

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
Old 10-24-2022, 10:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
We got ours from Lee this year. Hokey Smokes, what a difference. The feel really is just like that of a modern car. If that's what you're looking for. So much easier to drive the car around town. I was really worried that it would result in a larger turning radius, and I told Lee that a couple of times. They have the same part number for an A-body or a 'Bird. But it's all good, same turning radius as before. Just way less turns of the wheel lock to lock.
I had Tom Lee build me a fast ratio PS steering box for my 64 GTO Convertible some years ago. Very High Quality Work.

You did good.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went the budget upgrade route. Gambled and lost. I used a reman 3rd gen box. Great upgrade, but the reman curse got me. After about 6 months it started leaking at the input shaft. This summer I took it out which is a PITA with headers. Put a new seal on the input shaft myself and it still leaks. So it must have a notch in it or something.

So I would for sure say upgrade it. But as others have said, either have your box rebuil to more modern steering standards by Lee Power Steering or something, or go with an aftermarket box with a better reputation than Carquest.

The only cheaper option I would consider if I were doing i again would be a known good factory GM box out of a 3rd gen, not a remanufactured unit.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-25-2022, 01:22 AM

It takes a butt load of coin to get something better than a correctly built up box. Sent mine off to a shop in so cal, told them how I wanted it to drive and they delivered. You will never buy a reman again after having one set up the way you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
The Following User Says Thank You to Vroom_vroom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.borgeson.com/Borgeson-St...7-1-Ratio.html

Old 10-25-2022, 03:47 AM

Y'know how a lot of people suggest using a 3rd gen f-body steering box, what's the main benefit of them? Is that the box is physically the same as a 2nd gen one with just better ratios or something like that? Are they better than a 1978-81 WS6 steering box?

Old 10-25-2022, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthe222 View Post
Y'know how a lot of people suggest using a 3rd gen f-body steering box, what's the main benefit of them? Is that the box is physically the same as a 2nd gen one with just better ratios or something like that? Are they better than a 1978-81 WS6 steering box?
The boxes actually use metric O ring fittings, so they aren’t physically the same. It’s no big deal though as there are adapters available.

But yeah, better more modern ratio box is the selling point.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-25-2022, 08:29 AM

Ok so I see the quality rebuilds available. Is there any reason I would not get the 12:1 ratio steering box?

Old 10-25-2022, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just upgrade to a 69-81 Steering Box, and adjust the Lash/locknut (and wheel return feel).

Any other box is a upgrade-illusion.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:25 AM

So when you say 69-81 do you mean the 14:1 ratio box?

Old 10-25-2022, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the subject of road feel. See my posts #13 and #15 here:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&highlight=AGR

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-25-2022, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These guys did me right. You can buy outright, send your in as a core and buy, or have yours rebuilt:

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 10-25-2022, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks for this..in the same boat

Old 10-25-2022, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Goat View Post
I have a 1971 GTO with 122k on the chassis and one of the oldest parts left is the original steering box. Every other component on the car has been rebuilt except the WW motor. On the highway I have a lot of play, which back in 1979 when I got it was normal, however it is time to tighten it up. Here are my choices;

1. Rebuild the original steering box so something on the car is original.
2. Toss in trash and install something better and what would better be?

Thanks is advance.
Just reading your original post I need to ask this. If it drove OK in 1979, the likely wear parts since then are not the steering gear box. Now if you were unhappy in 1979, it's possible, I guess. A high dollar rebuild with a faster steering ratio will improve the steering for sure if you want to go that route. If you want it to handle like a 1971 GTO did in 1971, the steering box is likely not at fault. I would do a "dry park test" first to assess the steering linkage. With the car parked, steering wheel straight on the ground, have an assistant wiggle the steering wheel back and forth through the looseness until he feels resistance in both directions. While this is going on, you should be looking and feeling for movement in the inner and outer tie rod ends, up and down movement in the center link, idler arm and pitman arm. All of these items are far more likely to give you a loose, disconnected feeling from the steering system than the gear itself. If all those parts are nice and tight and you are still not happy with the steering, then a new box may be a good option. There is very little to wear out in a Saginaw steering gear. They are very rugged and reliable. The sector gear can wear a little and it is adjustable. It is extremely rare for the ball/rack to wear out, especially at only 122K miles. Good luck with it.