Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Guys that lived the 60s and 70s era...please step in

So i'm kicking around some ideas for my 67 GTO. Its a pro-touring car but I kind of want to keep the late 60's early 70s feel if I can. So i'm curious as to what was cool then in the aftermarket, swaps, parts etc in that era. I might use some of these ideas as an incorporation into my design if any of it works. Here is the car in question.

Thanks!

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 11-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wheels were important. Cragar SS's, alum slots and Keystone classics were big. Sun Tach on the column afixed by a hose clamp.. Aftermarket stereo with Jensen triaxles were hot.

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 11-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing says old school like Glass Packs.

Some Holley, Hooker, and Crane stickers on the quarter glass

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 11-29-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A "THRUSH" woodpecker, Budwiser "BUDMAN" & STP sticker.
Air shocks pumped up so high you had to use your feet to brace yourself.
Pioneer "Super Tuner" stereo.
As mentioned Red Glass Paks.
N-50's in the rear.
Wheels already mentioned.
Shag Carpeted dash.
CB & whip antenna.

Tim john---

Old 11-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingn View Post
Wheels were important. Cragar SS's, alum slots and Keystone classics were big. Sun Tach on the column afixed by a hose clamp.. Aftermarket stereo with Jensen triaxles were hot.
Pretty much sums it up. Cragers were popular but very expensive. Many kept their stock wheels. You have to remember that aftermarket parts were very few and far between, not like today at all. Definitely 14" or 15" wheels only. Air shocks with car raised up, that's about it.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ladder bars
Textured carpeting on the package tray with the speakers cut through.
Playboy air freshner

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most people ran fairly close to stock. If you went big cam, aluminum intake and holley with headers, your car better be fast.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good comments on wheels. Cragar S/S or Keystones or even American 5 spoke then their 200S. Aluminum slots Ansen also. N50s. Air shocks. "Blowup proof" clutches Weber, Zoom or Sheifer, Lakewood scattershield. Air Lift Airbags or Gabriel Hijacker air shocks.

My 409 Impala in 1970 had Keystones various clutches under the Lakewood scattershield. Air lift air bags. Mr Gasket Vertigate shifter. Hooker headers into Thrush header glasspacks. A "cool can" to ice the fuel line before the carbs and a Carter electric fuel pump. The Sun tach fit perfect in the factory tach pod on the dash.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Adding to what has already been mentioned....

STRIPES

My '76 Ventura "back in the day" with slotted aluminum rims, 70 series radials, Gabriel Hi-Jackers, and factory black stripes...

Another shot from my first day with my first brand new car (pre rims and air shocks)...

Old 11-29-2016, 05:27 PM

There isn't much you can do at this point, really the only thing '60s about your car is the body styling.

It's a perfect car, leave it be.

Add-ons from that era will ruin the theme of your build.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Good comments on wheels. Cragar S/S or Keystones or even American 5 spoke then their 200S. Aluminum slots Ansen also. N50s. Air shocks. "Blowup proof" clutches Weber, Zoom or Sheifer, Lakewood scattershield. Air Lift Airbags or Gabriel Hijacker air shocks.

My 409 Impala in 1970 had Keystones various clutches under the Lakewood scattershield. Air lift air bags. Mr Gasket Vertigate shifter. Hooker headers into Thrush header glasspacks. A "cool can" to ice the fuel line before the carbs and a Carter electric fuel pump. The Sun tach fit perfect in the factory tach pod on the dash.
Skip's comments reflect my recollections from late 60's very well! Except American Racing Torque Thruster D's were the wheel of choice here in our part of Texas. Had to have the glasspacks, headers, and electric fuel pump to make any splash on Friday nights.
Mike Pearson

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post

"Rich Kids" or "Rich Daddys" had the "Cragar S/S or Keystones or even American 5 spoke mags". Poor Kids like me had GM 15" rear wheels cut on a old WW-II school lathe in metal shop and a section added and welded in to make them work with L-60-15 Tires.

Air Shocks got the body above the fender lips for some but the guys in the know used the adjustable Air Lift spring bags. One hose for each side to preload the spring forces.

A few, like me, tracked down a rear sway bar and lower control arms (like my brother-in-law) had on his 65 442 Olds chassis.

Stewart Warner "3 pod" gage pack under the center of the dash. Oil Pressure, Engine Water Temperature, and AMPs.

Dual Stewart Warner Electric Fuel Pumps pushing the fuel forward to Tri-Power Carbs and Mechanical Linkage carbs.

McKeller #10 Solid camshaft/lifters installed vs the 1963-64 421 HO 9770543 "L" camshaft (that was installed by the Zone People or Factory when they also installed the Mechanical Secondary Tri-Power Carb components possibly).

Cut-outs welded on the header pipes to free up the exhaust under Blacktop Racing conditions.

Piece of hose on the points for higher revs. Rich kids got the race points.
Mallory Dual Point distributors for the rich kids and modded Corvette Dual Point Plate on the Pontiac distributor for the average guys. No Vacuum Advance.

Front Sway Bar Links "Bolts" swapped for a longer bolts to allow the front suspension to "move".

7" Cheater slicks in the trunk on other wheels if you had the dough to purchase them.

Kill switch on the points to keep others from taking your car for a Fun Ride.

Cushion on the console so the the ribs did not hurt the young companion's posterior.

Driving Gloves if you were a P"ssy TV Star wannabee. Fuzzy Dice, a skull, or a class ring hanging off the mirror.

Hurst Shifter Ball/T-Handle with the Hurst Name on it.

But the coolest of all was the installation of the Smitty STEEL PACK Mufflers which had the greatest sound at any rpm that you drove at. "Music" from the exhaust constantly and quiet enough that the local cop would leave you alone.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom my Keystones were very used before I got them! Mike the guys over in Dallas on Forest Lane liked the Cragars but as Tom said not too many could afford them. I also had some Torque Thrusts one for awhile also-and they were very used.

Oh and a tunnel ram style scoop n the hood too so you needed a co pilot to see on the other side-even without a tunnel ram.

We had open header day one day a month at my high school. Had to shut it off and coast past the cops.

The '09 had a big Crane solid cam in it also, smoothed out about 2500 or so. And cheater slicks if no rain in the forecast. All those BBC Chevelle and Camaro guys forgot about '09s and figured the Impala had a 327 Tires and 4.56 we would smoke them off the line! Stewart Owens(Owens Country Sausage) had an aluminum head 427 Chevelle but never would race me,heard from other North Dallas guys about the Impala.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post

It's a perfect car, leave it be.
Couldn't agree more!

The look the car has now would have been a "to die for" look in the early 70's.

Clay

Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For all of the 2.5 months that I lived in the 60's...

I've always been a curious fan of the sidepipes. Never had them, but I always thought they were cool when I would see them.

I run Cragar SS's, and have always been a fan. Hood pins, maybe? I don't care for those personally.

I've owned cars with ridiculous air shock setups. Air shocks and a ridiculous ride height in back is probably not for the OP. I laugh now when I remember how cool it used to be to have it all jacked up in the back.

If you owned an early 2nd gen Formula and were considering cutting a hole for a shaker scoop, I'd probably have to track down where you live and punch you in the nutz for your crimes against humanity. But the nuggets are safe since it's a GTO.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty much have all the 60's/70's looks covered already but one I didn't see (that was popular in our circle) were tow tabs to give that street car the look of a strip car.
That said your car is awesome as is!

Old 11-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rear window Louvers! An 8 track player, and BEEGEES, FOREIGNER AND EAGLES tapes. Big yellow Accel Super coil. Bias ply tires. Curb feelers. Heavy metal flake paint. Big side burns. A big lapel light blue leisure suit. Doing the HUSTLE!

Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Royal Bobcat stickers on the quarter windows.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thrush side pipes were big, the Hush Thrush mufflers as an alternative to stock that could get through inspection. Gabriel Strider shocks, Ansen slots; my current 65 has new Ansen Slots, (your girl friends bra hanging from your rearview mirror...aye was a good time to be a kid).

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to agree it was a set of craigers. As someone stated they were expensive but just made those late 60 muscle car look nice. I would also say how the car sat . Some liked it level but a lot like a good rake. Doug

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD