THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Funny Red-Light Camera Situation

As sent to me by the National Motorists Association via e-mail:
www.motorists.org

Oh, The Irony -- A Red Light Camera Encounter

Sometimes a story crosses our desk that is so good, it needs little input from us. Tom Chamberlain submitted the following photo-narrative that truly illustrates a set of pictures is worth a thousand words. Enjoy.

I stopped to take pictures of a red light camera being repaired and the repairman called the police. I was lucky the Gurnee, Illinois police were very professional and allowed me to stay and take pictures. They did not even ask my name or for identification.

It is ironic that Redflex cameras take millions of pictures of unsuspecting motorists every day, but the Redflex repairman calls the police when someone on public property is taking pictures of their equipment and him.

Inside of RedFlex box.

Closer look at Redflex box.

Do not look behind the curtain.

You can't take pictures, only REDFLEX can take pictures here.

Calling police.

Now I'm in trouble.

Mr. RedFlex man learning that photography is legal.

Reinforcements.

Officers posing with red light cameras that make millions from unsuspecting motorists.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a joke,he calls the cops!
I work in the next town over from Gurnee (Waukegan) Il., and have to drive through one of these monitored intersections everyday,on the way to work. One of my co-workers got a handful of tickets in the mail,for hundreds of dollars,and as far as I know,he just paid it! If I came up to the intersection on a red light,made a complete stop,and turned right,it would "flash" and take my pic! Even though it was a legal turn. Wanting to avoid a court fight (I fight everything,even if I am at fault),I ended up just sitting there at the red light not turning right on red,even though I could legally turn. So did everyone else after awhile. GREAT for traffic flow!!!
One of my other co-workers cut through a parking lot at that intersection,so he could avoid it all together. No hazzards there.
Big Brother is watching!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm surprised there haven't been any stories of these being vandalized or covered with a garbage bag. I guess we're all afraid of big bro or maybe they have security cameras watching them.

If we're coming up on one of those intersections I tell the wife to hang on, because If I see yellow, I'm nailing the brakes.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
I'm surprised there haven't been any stories of these being vandalized or covered with a garbage bag. I guess we're all afraid of big bro or maybe they have security cameras watching them.
I have every expectation that if the camera stops transmitting, they'll be looking very closely at the last minute or so of footage it DID send, along with the output of the other cameras at that intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
If we're coming up on one of those intersections I tell the wife to hang on, because If I see yellow, I'm nailing the brakes.
Yep, I'm told the red-light cameras slightly decrease the number of T-Bone collisions; but dramatically increase the number of rear-end collisions. Overall, the intersection is LESS safe with the camera than without.

Especially since shortening (sometimes ILLEGALLY shortening) of the yellow light time is itself a hazard, and without short yellow lights, the cameras don't generate enough revenue.