Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 08-09-2004, 10:33 AM

My friend has a 1979 Firebird with a 400 in it. We are looking to replace the headers, but we're not sure what ones to go with. The heads on the engine are not the original heads. they look like they are out of a 1970 because the date codes on the heads are, D230 and B240. I believe the head ID# is 13, and they are D-Port. Can anyone tell me what kind of headers to get for this engine? Any help would be great.
Thanks

Old 08-09-2004, 10:33 AM

My friend has a 1979 Firebird with a 400 in it. We are looking to replace the headers, but we're not sure what ones to go with. The heads on the engine are not the original heads. they look like they are out of a 1970 because the date codes on the heads are, D230 and B240. I believe the head ID# is 13, and they are D-Port. Can anyone tell me what kind of headers to get for this engine? Any help would be great.
Thanks

Old 08-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are alot of choices depending on your budget.
What are you willing to spend?
The least expensive with best fit are Hedman #28150.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:48 AM

I believe his budget is around $400

Old 08-09-2004, 11:08 AM

The headers that we took out of the car were 3 tube headers. Would it be better to go with 4 tube instead? or stick the 3 tube? Would the fitment be any harder with 4 tube?

Old 08-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomerCF:
The headers that we took out of the car were 3 tube headers. Would it be better to go with 4 tube instead? or stick the 3 tube? Would the fitment be any harder with 4 tube? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
definetly go 4 tube!
Check out the D-port headers list in the "TRI-Y" post from Ron.
For just a bit more than $400, those would be the way to go!
If not, then the Hedman #28150 will cost around $180, then ship them to airborn coatings for the aluminum thermal coating for another $200.