Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2023, 07:20 PM

Default 1970 L78 dual snorkel air cleaner (non-RA)

I'm looking for a correct dual snorkel air cleaner.
Application: L78 in a 1970 Formula, Norwood built, non-CA emissions, air conditioning.
Line code for the air cleaner should be RM.

I'm looking for advice on how to ID the correct one. I'll be hunting for one tomorrow.
Thanks

----------------
Additional details below:
I'm currently running a 1973 dual snorkel air cleaner, drop base, black lid, one heat duct on driver side, hole with grommet for carb vent. It fits well with a Quadrajet. Fits, but not as well, with Holley spread bore carb.

For years I thought the chrome lid was lost/stolen from the previous owner, and that the base was the original 1970. Recently I found the date stamp of 1973 on the base. So my lid and base fit, but are wrong for 70. I want to find a correct 1970 drop base dual snorkel (code RM) air cleaner.

To learn exactly what I should be looking for, I've read some dual snorkel threads here including Jonny's list of 5 types.

Assuming the "Keep your car all GM" label with line code is missing, what are the identifying characteristics for this dual snorkel application?

--One or two heat tubes? Which side(s)?
--Vent hole with rubber block off plug? Or solid metal there?
--How far apart is the valve cover breather tube hole from pass. side snorkel?
--Are the AutoThermAC units, vacuum lines, routing specific?
--Is there usually a date stamp? Where is it located?
--Anything else?