Old 08-11-2023, 08:32 AM

Default T-top question

I bought an 81 TA with t tops. How can I tell if they are factory or aftermarket?

At first I thought factory but now I'm not sure. There is no painted metal between them on the roof.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it have 1 latch in the hatch or 2 one at each end?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-11-2023, 09:04 AM

Handle is in the middle.

2, one latch at each end.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No trim on the roof, roof is stamped not cut , what’s your glass code say?
Do you have the factory bags? They say fisher on them, date coded inside too

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 08-11-2023, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSZR View Post
I bought an 81 TA with t tops. How can I tell if they are factory or aftermarket?

At first I thought factory but now I'm not sure. There is no painted metal between them on the roof.
Post a pic, will be easy to identify.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s what fisher trim looks like, just found these at a garage sale.
Best, look at your Build Sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	617878  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 08-11-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This shows what each type of t tops looks like, pretty easy to identify them. But a pic of yours would determine for sure what they are.

https://www.hitmantransam.com/Pages/ttops.htm

Old 08-11-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
This shows what each type of t tops looks like, pretty easy to identify them. But a pic of yours would determine for sure what they are.

https://www.hitmantransam.com/Pages/ttops.htm
Thanks for the link!

They are Cars and Concepts aftermarket.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:17 PM

Next question is I don't have keys for the T tops. My mechanic picked them open.

Any ideas on replacements? Or do I need to go to a locksmith?

Old 08-11-2023, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they are CnC there good luck finding parts. Would love to see pics though as I have not seen a pair with locks, but then again I havent seen a lot of them. If they do have a lock, I would imagine it would be a simple tumbler that a competent locksmith could re-key.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:20 PM

Hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3516.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	617892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3515.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	617893  

Old 08-12-2023, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am pretty sure they are Cars n Concepts. I know a tiny bit about these but not enough to know if a lock was available. I think that is something that may have been added. Looks like it is drilled into the plastic cover. In the day it was not uncommon to have the tops stolen off of these cars. If these were mine I would eliminate the lock and fill the hole. Mine have a small sticker in the front outboard corner of the driver top that has the CnC logo. In the second picture it looks like you have one as well. Again parts are from scrap only, no way to get anything anywhere else. Hopefully the seals are good on yours.
Is there a sticker on the door jamb that says something to effect of 'this car has been modified by cars n concepts'?

I have done a bit of research on Cars and Concepts which is ongoing. Pontiac shipped the car to the Detroit area where CnC had a factory doing the roof conversions. They were then shipped to the dealers. I have confirmation from a reputable engineer that worked there, as well as have seen his personal pictures. Some say they were installed locally by the 'sunroof doctor' type of outfits but from what I have found I strongly disagree. Cars n Concepts was started and owned by Dick Chrysler who at one time vice president of Hurst. C n C bought Hurst.

Old 08-12-2023, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Bag for a C&C is harder to find, saw one at the Dustoff swap a few years ago.
Back I the day, a buddy bought a 1 year old Z28 with them in, his leaked and rattled bad. He never did resolve the issues.
If you can find a blank key, it’s possible to make keys,
Below is a print I found somewhere years ago
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	617936  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 08-12-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:28 AM

Interesting guys, thanks!

It does have a sticker in the door jam that the car has been modified, but where it probably said cars and concepts is blank. Probably just worn off. And yes each top has a small Cars and Concepts sticker, I should have mentioned that in my first post.

You might be right about removing the locks, may require some adjustment because one side the handle like to start to release. The locks hold them in place.

I do like the look of the glass all the way across.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s a tag
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0723.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	618045  

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 08-13-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I am pretty sure they are Cars n Concepts. I know a tiny bit about these but not enough to know if a lock was available. I think that is something that may have been added. Looks like it is drilled into the plastic cover. In the day it was not uncommon to have the tops stolen off of these cars. If these were mine I would eliminate the lock and fill the hole. Mine have a small sticker in the front outboard corner of the driver top that has the CnC logo. In the second picture it looks like you have one as well. Again parts are from scrap only, no way to get anything anywhere else. Hopefully the seals are good on yours.
Is there a sticker on the door jamb that says something to effect of 'this car has been modified by cars n concepts'?

I have done a bit of research on Cars and Concepts which is ongoing. Pontiac shipped the car to the Detroit area where CnC had a factory doing the roof conversions. They were then shipped to the dealers. I have confirmation from a reputable engineer that worked there, as well as have seen his personal pictures. Some say they were installed locally by the 'sunroof doctor' type of outfits but from what I have found I strongly disagree. Cars n Concepts was started and owned by Dick Chrysler who at one time vice president of Hurst. C n C bought Hurst.

You may be right on the locks being added. Took the trim off and looks added from the way its cut and ground to make the lock fit.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a little bit of adjustment that can be made so the latch will stay tight when closed.

I too like mine. I like the 'targa' look when they are in place. Then again my car is black so they kinda blend in. Most will poo poo about the looks of the frame when the tops are off, but it is not unlike a third gen car. These are very similar to what is on the third gens. I was going to get a set of bags for those to see if they would fit, I would bet they do.

I had to rig up the new door weatherstrip to meet up with the top frame trim weatherstrip. It is ok, but not great. On the to do list to try and make it better someday. Yes, with the settup I have they leak like a sieve!

Old 08-14-2023, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are a period correct mod, I never mined them, I know one guys brother who got so much negative comments he sold his 79. Bought a cutlas, but I like louvers and side pipes on these cars. Next C&C bag I see, I’m going to snag them.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 08-14-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
There is a little bit of adjustment that can be made so the latch will stay tight when closed.

I too like mine. I like the 'targa' look when they are in place. Then again my car is black so they kinda blend in. Most will poo poo about the looks of the frame when the tops are off, but it is not unlike a third gen car. These are very similar to what is on the third gens. I was going to get a set of bags for those to see if they would fit, I would bet they do.

I had to rig up the new door weatherstrip to meet up with the top frame trim weatherstrip. It is ok, but not great. On the to do list to try and make it better someday. Yes, with the settup I have they leak like a sieve!
I'll try that.

Mine don't seem to leak.

Yea, the look off isn't as good off but oh well, still fun to drive with them out.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2023, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always tell my wife on stuff like that, at 160 MPH no one will notice!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates