73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, and POCI members can check out a picture of it's first (and last) trip ever down a 1/4 mile dragstrip...in the most recent issue that featured the "Pontiacs in the Park" event at VMP in May 2006 (it was one of the first issues that Don Keefe was part of). She ran a "blistering" 16.58 @ 85 MPH with a 2.7 60' time. Doesn't sound like much, but considering the car was in excess of 4500 lbs. with me and a trunk full of coolers and chairs on board, and that it was set to stock tune 2 years ago after having the carb rebuilt (with the only deviation being the dual exhaust)...I didn't think that was too shabby. I even left it in drive and let the tranny shift itself (no tachometer so I didn't want to tempt fate).

Old 01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks! A few things under the hood aren't "correct" and could use some detailing, but...the hell with it. The drivers seat has developed a ripped seam, which I intend on getting taken care of before the weather warms up.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Darn, I was hoping I could run you at Norwalk..Can Am Vs. Can Am..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's 3 more and then I'll stop (LOL). One of these was shot in 1999, with my father behind the wheel. Ironically, it's the only shot I have of my father with the car. He passed in December '04.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canam.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	80041   Click image for larger version

Name:	CanAmVMP.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	80042   Click image for larger version

Name:	CanAmVMP2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	80043  

Old 01-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman
If all goes as planned, I'll be too busy with Jon and the funny car.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up Very nice!

That sure is a great looking car. I see that you have very nice Pontiac snowflakes on the car. Were these wheels optional on a Can Am? Most Can Am photos I have seen have body colour painted Rally II Wheels. The snowflakes look absolutely awesome.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Snowflakes were optional, but only in 15x7. I have 15x8 Snowflakes. My father liked they way they looked on my 79 T/A, and thought they looked better than the 7" versions, so we bought a set, had them polished and mounted them up.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

The 1977 snowflakes were 15x7, and available on the Can Am. The wheels on Brian's car are the 1978-1981 15x8 snowflakes, which look better than the narrower rims.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I'd be willing to do a little bit of CanAm vs. CanAm racing.

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoatii
The gauntlet has been thrown down! GRUDGE MATCH!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoatii

Sounds like a plan..

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Senior Chief

I think it would be great if all the CanAms staged together. Imagine CanAms going down the track 2X2 for 15 plus pairings. It would be awesome!

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

That would be an attention getter for sure.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-19-2007, 10:49 AM

The website for the Tri Power Pontiac Nationals at Norwalk is now updated. If you have any questions please contact Andi or Pete.

www.pontiacnationals.com
andi@pontiacnationals.com
pete@pontiacnationals.com

Super Duty Promotions (419) 663-7383

Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Cool..

http://www.pontiacnationals.com/can_am_reunion.html

"The Ames Performance Tri Power Pontiac Nationals is pleased to announce that we have been chosen as 1 of the locations for the 1977 Pontiac Can Am 30th Anniversary Reunion.

We realize that many of you have never attended our event before so if you have any questions about the event please don’t hesitate to call or email.

Super Duty Promotions, (419) 663-7383 or sdpromo@pontiacnationals.com

Verne Howard is in charge of the Can Am Reunion and you can contact Verne at (816) 554-2099 or email CanAm77Man@aol.com

Here are some guidelines for the event and how you can participate

Special Can Am parking on the Car show field - everyone needs to purchase a Car show entry for parking. We have a car show class for Can Ams. A Pontiacs on Parade entry is not eligible to park in the Special Can Am parking.

A Professionally Judged Point Car Show is included - if you don’t want to be judged ask at Registration that DISPLAY ONLY be written on your entry.

All Car show entries included the Ames Performance Hospitality

A Special Can Am only race can be set-up and administered by the group to be run on Sunday. The special race is included in your car show entry.

If anyone wants to race in the regular weekend program they will have to pit on the race car side of the track. Due to safety reasons we cannot allow racer’s to pit on the car show side of the facility. A support vehicle is allowed in the pits.

We have the LARGEST Pontiac Swap Meet in the Country.

We have a Manufacturer’s Midway.

Show car truck & trailer parking is available inside the facility, there is no charge for that parking. No support vehicles can be parked with the Can Ams on the Car show field.

We have camping on-site. Motorhome with electric $50 or Camping $25. Racer’s can camp in the pits for free.

Go to Event Information for Hotel/ Schedule/ Golf Cart/ Camping information"

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to GTOken Send a message via MSN to GTOken Send a message via Yahoo to GTOken

This is where you will find all the Event information.
Hotel/ Motel Camping at the Track Prices for the Event Changes at Norwalk

Golf Cart or Wheeled vehicle policy

The Ames Performance Tri Power Pontiac Nationals offers:
3 days of Pontiac Only drag racing
2 days of Professionally judged Car show
2 days of Swap Meet & Car corral & Manufacturer’s Midway
All Race, Show, and Swap Meet participants receive 2 entries
for the Ames Performance Buffet on Saturday night

Directions to the Track & Summit Motorsport Park Information

The Closest Airport to Norwalk is Cleveland Hopkins - about 50 minutes drive

SUMMIT MOTORSPORTS PARK is located on St. Rt. 18 east of Norwalk, OH. The phone number is 419-668-5555.

From the North, East or West: Take the Ohio Turnpike to Exit #118 (Rt 250 exit). Head South on Rt 250 to Norwalk. When you get to Norwalk you will see a red & white directional sign on your right side (located by Arby’s restaurant on Rt 250). Follow the directional signs to the track. After you turn on to Rt 18 and follow Rt 18 over the bypass, the Rislone gate will be on your left side. Racer’s should use Linder’s Lot on Friday. On Saturday racer’s can go to the gate on Rt 601 - the next road past the Rislone gate and turn left.

From the South: Follow Rt 250 North to Norwalk. When you arrive at the Rt 20 bypass, take Rt 20/18 East. Get off at the first Exit (Rt 18) and make a right turn. The Rislone gate will be on your left side. Racer’s should use Linder’s Lot on Friday. On Saturday racer’s can go to the gate on Rt 601 - the next road past the Rislone and turn left.

www.summitmotorsportspark.com has a lot of great information about the park. Click on Fan Facts when you get to the Home page.

[Home] [Sponsors] [Drag Racing] [Car Show] [Swap Meet] [Car Corral] [Event Information] [Motel/ Hotel] [Prices] [Order Tickets] [Camping] [Golf Cart Policy] [Schedule] [Track Changes] [Manufacturer's Midway] [Ames Hospitality] [Randy Williams] [FAQ] [Contact Us] [2006 Pictures]

Super Duty Promotions, P.O. Box 714, Norwalk, OH 44857
(419) 663-7383 E-mail sdpromo@pontiacnationals.com

"Life is one big smokey burnout after another." -- me
Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to GTOken Send a message via MSN to GTOken Send a message via Yahoo to GTOken

AMES PERFORMANCE provides a shuttle service for anyone to ride at no charge

There are some slight changes to the policy from previous years.

All wheeled vehicles must be operated by a licensed driver.

A wheeled vehicle is a golf cart, atv, mini bike, bicycle, scooter, skate board, etc.

No wheeled vehicles should be in the Vendor midway, Car show area or Swap Meet area without permission from Super Duty Promotions. Arrangements can be made to move heavy parts. Non participant vehicles should not be parked in the Swap meet or Car show field.

People with a State issued handicapped placard are exempt from this policy. Personal mobility carts operated by the handicapped individual are allowed.

Spectators are not allowed to bring in golf carts, mini bikes, bikes, skateboards, or any wheeled vehicle.

Anyone camping on the spectator side of the track will be allowed to have a small wheeled vehicle for their personal use during non-show hours. This would be morning or evening so that you can cross-over to take showers. Before 9:00a.m. on Saturday & Sunday. 1 hour after racing is completed all vehicles need to be parked.

Racer’s are allowed to have these vehicles in the pits.

A crossover guard may be in place to stop you from bringing your vehicle on the spectator side of the track. If the guard is in place and you need to drive on the spectators side of the track you will need to obtain permission from Super Duty Promotions

Handicapped parking will be located in Wilson’s Lot. Personal mobility carts operated by the handicapped individual are allowed. Spectators are NOT allowed to drive golf carts or other wheeled vehicles into the facility from Wilson’s Parking Lot.

[Home] [Sponsors] [Drag Racing] [Car Show] [Swap Meet] [Car Corral] [Event Information] [Motel/ Hotel] [Prices] [Order Tickets] [Camping] [Golf Cart Policy] [Schedule] [Track Changes] [Manufacturer's Midway] [Ames Hospitality] [Randy Williams] [FAQ] [Contact Us] [2006 Pictures]

Super Duty Promotions, P.O. Box 714, Norwalk, OH 44857
(419) 663-7383 E-mail sdpromo@pontiacnationals.com

"Life is one big smokey burnout after another." -- me
Old 02-19-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The 1977 snowflakes were 15x7, and available on the Can Am. The wheels on Brian's car are the 1978-1981 15x8 snowflakes, which look better than the narrower rims.
Here's the only really decent picture I have of mine that you can see the 15X7 snowflakes on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carlisle06 035.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	83120  

Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am really having a hard time deciding if I am coming to the Reunion in Tulsa. I have a decent shape CA , but there are a few things on it that just piss me off, and I do not want to be embarrased or show mine with what could be some very nice examples. Bob Cook called me this weekend and kind of put me on the spot about it. I guess the best way to describe my CA is a survivor, it is all original, excexpt for the 462 in it, and it looks like it. I could probably try and get some of the things fixed on it before I bring it, but what needs to be repaired will require a little bit of welding, and I think it might screw up the paint(area where the hood bumpers hit the underside of the hood).

Do we have a count on how many are planning to be in Tulsa?

How about Hotel rooms? where are most everyone staying?

1969 Pontiac GTO - Back On Top - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

69-Goat...it's not about how many cars will be present in show quality vs. how many won't. It's about the celebration of the car that's largely been forgotten, and the gathering of enthusiasts that love it. Nobody is going to fault you for not having a show quality Can-Am present, at least not any of the show promoters and fellow enthusiasts. You might get some "sneers" from spectator jerks at Norwalk, but I wouldn't worry about that. I think a low mileage survivor, regardless of condition, is worht taking a look at.