Old 04-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, thank you for the thumbs up! Glad you like your window sticker.

On the topic of 1973 Trans Am window stickers, all originals had "CR" on them for the Ram Air credit. PHS reproductions use a minus sign, which is incorrect.

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.

Last edited by MikeNoun; 04-17-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Which switch did you find?

Old 04-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found the Distributor Vacuum Advance Solenoid that mounts on the throttle bracket bolt. I still need thermo switches for the front of the manifold.

Also, I looked back at the bulletins JohnTA posted and everything is pretty clear on the vac lines other than where the air cleaner tee's in, and the color of the vac line stripes. I think I'll run with the colors in Karl's pictures.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bob,
The red car looks great!
As a possible vacuum hose source, years ago I was heavily into Corvettes and had to replace the vacuum heat/ air control system that the 69's had and found that one of the vacuum hose replacement kits had many different combinations of colored hoses in decent lengths ( because they had to go from center console to actuator valve in the firewall). If you can't find a source from Ames or other Pontiac sources, try Dr. Rebuild under a Corvette search.
BTW, the left brace was painted when I purchased the car so I am no help there.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought I'd seen in the Ames catalog, vacume hoses with various color stripes on them.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Bentwheelbob;5563578]Thanks Jim. The window sticker would not show an upgrade from the Rally II wheels or a change from manual to TH400 transmission. Those were no cost options for TA's and only showed up on the build sheet.

So a little got done yesterday. Got a battery topper installed and quick connect for the battery tender. I had to remove the left strut brace to do so, and the core support has definitely been painted. Not sure why??? You can see on the battery pics the extended length battery cable bolts that are necessary when installing a battery tender quick connect on a side post battery. We also put the original painted valve covers put back on, and the air cleaner semi fit. I still need a little info before the air cleaner is considered nailed down. On the valve covers, I left the paint as it was with no touch up painting. WCG was so meticulous, I was thrilled when I took them out of their boxes and the original painted valve cover bolts were inside. Thanks Mike.

Part of the info I still need to finish up the air cleaner relates to the TCS solenoid and vacuum hose routing. I found a used TCS that is in great shape. I'll have to admit the part number is different than the one posted here by Karl, but the part looks identical and mounts in the same manner. We were able to find the original wires for it taped up in the harness, but unfortunately the special three wire connector had been cut off. We found a couple connectors that are the correct color and used them to "hook" it up, but we didn't strip the wires so it's not really functional.

Now I need to get the vacuum hose routing figured out, and need to find the two thermo vacuum switches for the front of the manifold. If anyone can help find the thermo switches I would really appreciate it. A few good pictures of the switch on the left side of the manifold would be very helpful. Also, I need to figure out the vacuum source ifor the air cleaner. The technical bulletins John posted references a "T" fitting, but it get fuzzy from that point.

Lastly, an exhaust preheater shroud is now installed. The cars exhaust manifolds were swapped for Ram Air manifolds so I had to use a 455 HO shroud, but it looks good.

Bob,
That TCS looks to me like the early production TCS not the later. I can get a better picture of mine if you need. It only has a 2 terminal connector, two of the wires are crimped together. I have been trying to find out an exact location for the Air Cleaner Tee also, looks like a Tee goes in right before the manifold vacuum goes into from ported vacuum (Thermal) switch.

I'll look, because I had a picture of that switch somewhere.

Karl

Old 04-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob,
Here are the some pictures of my switch. I did just punch the number up in ebay and found a guy in NY that has 6 of them for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-1974-1980...lWTRal&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	494510 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	426485   Click image for larger version

Name:	494510 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	426486   Click image for larger version

Name:	494510 3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	426487  

Old 04-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Karl - Thanks, got one bought. I'm sure the seller will wonder what happened when all these sell in 6 hours. Looks just like the switch in the right head of my W72 engine.

On the TCS solenoid, here are the two pictures you posted that makes it look like a three wire connector. What does the other side of that wiring harness connector look like?

Old 04-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob,
Sorry, you are correct. I was just trying to go by memory. Won't do that again, must have been thinking something else. It is a 3 terminal connector, I can take a top view picture, there is nothing on the other side of the connector.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TCS Pics

Bob,
Boy was I ever off. Looking at the connector, it looks to be a 4 terminal connector with only 3 of them having wires, in which only 2 are used. The connector has A B C D and then a 3. I don't think the center was used for anything. Now I remember once wondering if it went on the other way and the hose went through the middle. I'll have to look through some information I've collected over the years to see if I have any other pictures.

I took the hoses off and the connector so you could see what everything looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TCS 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	426490   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCS 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	426491   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCS 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	426492   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCS Connector.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	426493  

Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Air Cleaner underside pics

So while I had it off, I took some pictures of the underside because I remember there where questions about how many clips underneath.

I don't have any underneath. I see where 3 used to be. I have owned the car since it was 9 years old with only about 50,000 on it. I would be very surprised that they would have been rusted off by then, the rest of the air cleaner looked good. I repainted it back in the 90's and didn't do too much to it. Has anyone else noticed theirs removed?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Cleaner 1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	426494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Cleaner 2.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	426495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Cleaner 3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	426496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Cleaner 4.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	426497  

Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He are a couple pictures of my TCS solenoid. You can see the plastic part with a the third connector blade. Also note that the hole which is in the front of the bracket ( toward the firewall actually) is designed to hold the male protrusion from the plastic part. The two blades on the actual solenoid switch are extra long to allow them to slip through the plastic part and still have useable length left.

Karl - thanks again for the tip on the thermo switch.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to order a set of date coded plug wires for the Red Car which is an 04A build date. My choice on dates codes is either 1Q-73 or 3Q-72. I would like to be year correct, but given the car was built the first week of April I am concerned the 1Q-73 wires might be a little late. Any thoughts on this?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I am going to order a set of date coded plug wires for the Red Car which is an 04A build date. My choice on dates codes is either 1Q-73 or 3Q-72. I would like to be year correct, but given the car was built the first week of April I am concerned the 1Q-73 wires might be a little late. Any thoughts on this?

I am curious too. I did order a set for mine and used 1Q-73, just going by the dates of everything else on mine. I'll have to look for my paperwork I started and show you the dates. It seems as though my car was assembled at the last minute. I know alternator is IIRC 4-4-73, carb was 3-28-73 some of the seat belts were early April, heads and intake were I think late March early April.

I'll look and try and find my notes and post dates.

Why not 4Q-72, or did they not make them in the 4th quarter?

Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2Q and 4Q are not reproduced, just 1 and 3 Q wires....at least at lectric limited, where I buy my wires.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
On the topic of 1973 Trans Am window stickers, all originals had "CR" on them for the Ram Air credit. PHS reproductions use a minus sign, which is incorrect.

Mike
Thanks for the clarification. I have a few '73 WS's that were given to me as originals with the minus sign. Looks like I've been hood-winked! Also, looks like I need to have you make me a new WS. Do you have a website where you sell them?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Rick - can you put up a couple pictures of your whole air cleaner if the scoop is off? Got my new old one on today, but want to see a true original in place.
What, specifically would you like to see? Installed or not? Any particular angle?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Also, looks like I need to have you make me a new WS. Do you have a website where you sell them?
Look at his signature lines and click on the windowsticker link.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Look at his signature lines and click on the windowsticker link.
Right under my nose the whole time & never noticed. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, sorry for the delay, the link is in my signature, but I will place it here too.

http://www.musclecarfilms.com/PontiacWindowSticker.html

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.