73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

I must be in the minority. I am not bothered if I spend $405 on a set of wheel opening mouldings, or $100 for nice headlight bezels, etc...

I guess the whole problem with most '73-'77 owners is that they are concerned with the comparatively lower value of the car vs. the '72 and older modles. Most can't justify spending thousands of dollars on parts for a car that will have a tough time selling for $10k.

I am into these car because I like the cars. If you like the be a flipper, get into Mopars. I had $8k invested in my Road Runner for the four years I owned it, and sold it for $15k. I had $1,500 invested in my Dodge Monaco, and sold it for $3k. My Pontiacs have proven to be far better cars than those cars in many ways.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman
If you like the be a flipper, get into Mopars.
What's a flipper?

Quote:
I guess the whole problem with most '73-'77 owners is that they are concerned with the comparatively lower value of the car vs. the '72 and older modles. Most can't justify spending thousands of dollars on parts for a car that will have a tough time selling for $10k.
EXACTLY...

Quote:
I must be in the minority. I am not bothered if I spend $405 on a set of wheel opening mouldings, or $100 for nice headlight bezels, etc...
Yes, you are in the minority...as am I...maybe that makes us eligible for federal funds

Old 10-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

A flipper is a term to describe some in the hobby that only buy cars to promptly sell or "flip" them for a tidy profit. Otherwise called "flip whores". They are very common in the Mopar crowd.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool Tulsa Chamber of Commerce

Tulsa is an easy city to navigate, most of it is laid out on a straight grid, except of course the downtown area close to the river. There are several fun things to do there, aside from the Pontiac event. There is Bell's amusement park, Big Splash water park, a zoo, etc. These aren't necessarily world class entertainment venues, but they are on par for a city the size of Tulsa. So bring the whole family and have a good time.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear you, Rick. I've never been of the "what can I get for this car when I sell it?" mentality. I build what I like, the way I want to build it, and don't get concerned about resale value. If I were concerned about return on investment, I'd be putzing with Mopars if sticking with cars, or getting into something more lucrative for the return on my dollar. People that get into the car hobby, only to balk on spending money because they're worried about spending more than the resale value of the car, really should just find another hobby.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Before reproductions of parts such as a ram air system are produced, I think more worthwhile projects such as wheel opening mouldings, seat covers and buns, and quarter panels should be addressed.
I agree completely. I had a 68 Camaro; you could get anything you ever wanted for that car. Now you can even get a new body! I could've bought those Ebay moldings for $380, but I have other things I need to spend $380 on besides four pieces of tin to go around the wheel wells. For my 80's truck and that Camaro, you can get all 4 for about $100. Don't get me wrong, I do spend money on quality parts and service, but sometimes those have to be put on hold, till I can afford to buy them. Like others have said, I love these cars, I'm not worried about spending more than it's worth. David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Chief

If I was only in it for the money, I wouldn't have kept my CanAm for over 26 years.

My Dad's 59. The start of my love for Pontiacs!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard
Tulsa is an easy city to navigate, most of it is laid out on a straight grid, except of course the downtown area close to the river. There are several fun things to do there, aside from the Pontiac event. There is Bell's amusement park, Big Splash water park, a zoo, etc. These aren't necessarily world class entertainment venues, but they are on par for a city the size of Tulsa. So bring the whole family and have a good time.
Thanks for the info bastard!

Old 10-18-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblsprt68
I agree completely. I had a 68 Camaro; you could get anything you ever wanted for that car. Now you can even get a new body! I could've bought those Ebay moldings for $380, but I have other things I need to spend $380 on besides four pieces of tin to go around the wheel wells. For my 80's truck and that Camaro, you can get all 4 for about $100. Don't get me wrong, I do spend money on quality parts and service, but sometimes those have to be put on hold, till I can afford to buy them. Like others have said, I love these cars, I'm not worried about spending more than it's worth. David
Same here. I can only afford so much, so fast. I'm fortunate that I can set money aside each month to progress toward my goals. Then there's the decision whether to do it myself - with things such as bodywork, which I really haven't dome much of and have no tools at all - or to farm it out. But I'm not going to worry about how much it will cost, within reason, because I don't expect to get rid of the car. Also, I'm fortunate that there's no body panels to replace, and I can get the wheel opening moldings redone...

The wife is still deciding if she wants to go to Tulsa...so the park and zoo info might be helpful.

1977 Can Am (T/A 6.6, posi, Buckskin interior, tilt/AC/PW, 115K miles) - need sheet metal, care to help?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did they name this town Port Saint Lucie, when there's no port at all here?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoatii
Thanks for the info bastard!
Glad to help. Let me know if anyone needs any local assistance.
Speaking of local assistance, If anyone is planning to enter Oklahoma through Arkansas on Interstate 40, You should be aware of the MULTIPLE speed traps on both sides of the border.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Glad to help. Let me know if anyone needs any local assistance.
Speaking of local assistance, If anyone is planning to enter Oklahoma through Arkansas on Interstate 40, You should be aware of the MULTIPLE speed traps on both sides of the border.
Any words of warning coming through Missouri?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicDave
The wife is still deciding if she wants to go to Tulsa...so the park and zoo info might be helpful.
Bring the wife and kids. My wife and kids are coming. Tell your wife she can go shopping with my wife.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to GTOken Send a message via MSN to GTOken Send a message via Yahoo to GTOken

Here is a link to the host club in Tulsa for the 2007 POCI event.

http://www.indianationspontiac.frees...com/index.html

Hopefully they will make updates as the event gets closer.

"Life is one big smokey burnout after another." -- me
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoatii
Any words of warning coming through Missouri?
Coming from the North/Northeast, I would take I44 from St Louis to Tulsa. It turns into a toll road in Oklahoma, but it is worth it for the quickest route for you. That way you can go past (or stop at) the Gateway Arch in downtown St. Louis. It is a cool photo opportunity. There is also a Six Flags amusement park to the east of St. Louis right next to I44, if you are into that sort of thing.
As far as I know, the turnpikes in Oklahoma are all 75 mph. Highway 71 was a mess the last time I drove down from Kansas City. Lots of construction. Just remember to get your beer in Missouri.
The above warning about I40 is based on my personal experience of seeing where the speed traps always are. I don't think it is bad enough to keep anyone from driving through this area, just mind your p's and q's. Let me put it this way, there is always a K9 unit available for use on the interstate near the border.
Coming from due east or southeast, I strongly recommend NOT taking the route through Pine Bluff in Arkansas, unless you just like driving 55 for extended periods. That road was also well patrolled the last time I was through there. Coming home (to Fort Smith) from Florida, for instance, I always liked going through Atlanta, Birmingham, and Memphis. It is almost all interstate that way. I40 gets full of trucks west of Memphis, but it isn't too bad.
Here's a gem: if you are coming west through Arkansas on I40, unless you want to divert south into Fort Smith for your "last chance beer" you need to stop in Ozark Arkansas (in Franklin County) because there is no alcohol at all sold in Crawford County. Fort Smith is in Sebastian County. Also, there is no alcohol for off premises use sold in Arkansas on Sundays. I'm serious folks, you won't like Oklahoma beer. We call it "Oklahoma piss water."

Old 10-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I posted this link back on page 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOken
Here is a link to the host club in Tulsa for the 2007 POCI event.

http://www.indianationspontiac.frees...com/index.html

Hopefully they will make updates as the event gets closer.
Hey Ken, let me know if you want a hand getting your Can Am ready.

Last edited by bastard; 10-19-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to GTOken Send a message via MSN to GTOken Send a message via Yahoo to GTOken

Quote:
I posted this link back on page 5
Hey Ken, let me know if you want a hand getting your Can Am ready.
So you did... thought I had read every post. My memory never was very good. LOL.

I don't know if I want to just find a cheap running motor to stick in it or spend a couple grand rebuilding one. I don't really have much extra cash laying around. If Im going have it there I have to do one or the other.

"Life is one big smokey burnout after another." -- me
Old 10-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOken
I don't know if I want to just find a cheap running motor to stick in it or spend a couple grand rebuilding one. I don't really have much extra cash laying around. If Im going have it there I have to do one or the other.
If money is tight, throw a good running cheap engine in for now. You can always rebuild one later. That way the car will at least be driveable. JMHO.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

bump

Old 11-26-2006, 01:37 PM

Hi Guys,
I started a new thread listing current info on the Can Am Reunion but I am having a problem putting a picture in with the text. I also wanted to put a picture in of the 7 Can Ams together in Dayton (POCI Convention 1989). It puts a thumbnail picture in instead. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Verne

1 - 1979 10th Ann. Trans Am 4 spd
Blue Springs, MO
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Senior Chief

This one?