Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i like how you throw in the white top , kinda like she is wearing white on your wedding day. hahaha im sure she has been driven around the block a time or two and put away wet.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe i should get ahold of the guy that lives 15 minutes from me and see if he still has the five 70-72 GTO's stored since the 80's.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Maybe i should get ahold of the guy that lives 15 minutes from me and see if he still has the five 70-72 GTO's stored since the 80's.
By all means!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 09-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Underneath all swirl dash is ridge plastic. GTO package got swirl. Swirl was an applied item over ridge from factory or dealer or garage....

Jeff's car original owner lives in my hometown, and was a treat to meet. He wanted a "sleeper" and also wanted to "go fast" too!

If there was a decal or badge he would remove it. Next time I see him I will ask him about call outs on hood.
You got it Mike. No engine turning on the dash. I wish they had done it on the LeMans. That looks so cool and kind of gives that T/A look to the dash. I am sure many guys added it and that is why you see it at times.

I just found an old list of questions that I wanted to ask Gerald about the H.O. convert. The Ram Air hood decals was one of those questions. There appeared to be no trace of them but you are right, he would have removed them. A VERY ODD Duck from what I am told. Just my luck, the original owner of my car also has NO PHONE! I guess I still need to get down that way with you Mike and try to catch him at Burger King (was it?) with my list of questions.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My Lucy Blue

Since Chris has exposed his sweetie, here are a few sneak peaks of my H.O. It has 31,000 original miles and all original paint with the exception of the goofy silver stripe that the original owner felt the need to apply. I tried to remove it to no avail. (I told you that he was odd but he sure knew how to order a cool Pontiac in 1972!) It does have some typical laquer cracking and checking but pretty nice paint over all. Border line needing paint though. The original top was toast. The floors and trunk are absolutely flawless as is the interior. A total time capsule! I have an incredible amout of original paperwork for the car. Everything is there including the Protect-O-Plate, sales invoice, the thank you letters from the salesman, etc. Even the starting instructions for the visor were there! The PHS shows: 455HO, Safe-T-Track rear, body colored sport mirrors, trim rings, power disc brakes, power windows, air inlet H.D. (Ram Air), unitized ignition, under hood lamp, dual exhaust w/ splitters, 4 speed HD trans (M-22), G-70-14 white lettered tires, formula steering wheel, power steering, tinted glass, tach/ gauges, endura front end, firm ride springs and shocks, trunk lamp, glove box lamp, and HD radiator. The Y-99 rear sway bar must have been installed day 2 at the dealership since it does not show as being available on a convert. It has been on this car for a LONG time. All of these options and it is a NO radio car (delete plate still in place) and NO console. Not many of these 72's came without A/C either.
Not as loaded as Chris's but she is still a nice drop top H.O.!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110_1086.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	257604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07469.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	257605   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07754.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	257606  

Last edited by Uncle Judge; 09-22-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VERY cool HO LeMans, Jeff.

Odd duck the first owner was, for sure. Like you said, he darned sure knew how to order one FINE Pontiac nearly 40 years ago!

When you bought the car, wasn't it "entombed" in some kind of a shipping container?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice cars Lloyd and Jeff! Jeff, did you try wet sanding the silver? I've had some luck doing that to get old paint off. Especially if they just put it over the original paint.

What size is the Y99 sway bar, is that a 1 1/8?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good memory Lloyd! Yes. Strange story. The original owner (Gerald) had a new home built. At that time he owned a mid to late 70's Trans Am and the 72 H.O. convert. Both ordered and bought new by Gerald. Everything he ever ordered had a manual transmission.
Tom, the home contractor, wanted to buy the Trans Am. Gerald did not want to sell at the time. At some point someone saw the T/A in the garage aqnd was able to buy it from Gerald. During the building process, Tom and Gerald had become friends and Gerald broke the news to Tom that he had sold the Trans Am. He was pretty disappointed that the car was gone. Gerald then informed him that he had a much rarer car than that T/A hidden away. He took Tom out to look the the 72 H.O. Lemans Sport convert that he had ordered new. He told him that he wanted to to have it! That's right! He GAVE him the car! Tom was not a real car guy and was just starting a family. He knew that the car was quite rare and valuable so he built a wooden crate in the garage for the car in order to protect it until he could do something with it. It sat in that crate in the garage for 10 years or so.
Fast forward to 2007. Tom pulls it out of the crate and posts on this site asking what an H.O. convert is worth as it sits VS. restored. I made contact with him and drove down to look at the car. He absolutely knew the value of the car. I had to pay up but I got her!
What is even more strange is that Gerald never even moved into the new home. Tom ended up buying the new house from Gerald. Maybe he was afraid of anything new or modern? Again, this man has NO telephone!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
Nice cars Lloyd and Jeff! Jeff, did you try wet sanding the silver? I've had some luck doing that to get old paint off. Especially if they just put it over the original paint.

What size is the Y99 sway bar, is that a 1 1/8?
Thanks Paul. Yep. I tried that too. No luck. I think he scuffed the original paint underneath the silver spray bomb job to ensure adhesion!

The Y-99 rear sway bar is 1 1/8" diameter.

Sorry Chris. Did not mean to take over the thread but we do have twins! How does that Doublemint commercial go? A double pleasure is waiting for you.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Judge View Post
How does that Doublemint commercial go? A double pleasure is waiting for you.
Nope.

"Double your pleasure, double your fun . . ."

Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Default 72 conv GTO no way

I didn't read all the messages posted but if the guy thinks he has a real convertable GTO for 72 he's in dream land, NO 72 GTO verts in 72 , he would have 1 of none if he did. I remember when I was still judgeing for GTOAA a guy trid to bring in one who said it was real too. John Swarak was still alive then & told the guy to his face that NO 72 verts in 72 & it made him mad but he finelly gave up & said he put on the decals because he wanted a GTO but for some reason couldn't find a 72 GTO convertable. But some will if long enough make themself believe what they want.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good memory Lloyd! Yes. Strange story. The original owner (Gerald) had a new home built. At that time he owned a mid to late 70's Trans Am and the 72 H.O. convert. Both ordered and bought new by Gerald. Everything he ever ordered had a manual transmission.
Tom, the home contractor, wanted to buy the Trans Am. Gerald did not want to sell at the time. At some point someone saw the T/A in the garage aqnd was able to buy it from Gerald. During the building process, Tom and Gerald had become friends and Gerald broke the news to Tom that he had sold the Trans Am. He was pretty disappointed that the car was gone. Gerald then informed him that he had a much rarer car than that T/A hidden away. He took Tom out to look the the 72 H.O. Lemans Sport convert that he had ordered new. He told him that he wanted to to have it! That's right! He GAVE him the car! Tom was not a real car guy and was just starting a family. He knew that the car was quite rare and valuable so he built a wooden crate in the garage for the car in order to protect it until he could do something with it. It sat in that crate in the garage for 10 years or so.
Fast forward to 2007. Tom pulls it out of the crate and posts on this site asking what an H.O. convert is worth as it sits VS. restored. I made contact with him and drove down to look at the car. He absolutely knew the value of the car. I had to pay up but I got her!
What is even more strange is that Gerald never even moved into the new home. Tom ended up buying the new house from Gerald. Maybe he was afraid of anything new or modern? Again, this man has NO telephone!
OK - thanks for refreshing my memory! And . . . I now recall that WILD "what's it worth" thread! Can't find it now, though. I wonder if it got deleted?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
By all means!
Cant afford one, but think'n get a finders fee?
He's get'n up there, may be ready to retire and head south.
BTY, he has a beautiful restored 69 RAIII 4spd vert. Had to put my sleeve over my mouth

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Cant afford one, but think'n get a finders fee?
He's get'n up there, may be ready to retire and head south.
BTY, he has a beautiful restored 69 RAIII 4spd vert. Had to put my sleeve over my mouth
Well, even a few pics and some details to stir things up would be most fun!

Keep us informed . . .

Old 09-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks Paul. Yep. I tried that too. No luck. I think he scuffed the original paint underneath the silver spray bomb job to ensure adhesion!

The Y-99 rear sway bar is 1 1/8" diameter.

Sorry Chris. Did not mean to take over the thread but we do have twins! How does that Doublemint commercial go? A double pleasure is waiting for you.
Not at all Jeff, you know how much of a fan I am of a hot set of twins!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a theory about why the Y99 bar was not available on a convert. I think the body flexes too much. I have a set of HO Racing 1 3/8 bars at home, one guy I talked to about them told me not to put them on a convert, he had them on a convert and it caused his car to flex so bad that the door and fender made contact damaging the paint. Like I said just a theory.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is another non Lucy 72 HO vert:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...TO+455+HO+vert

Was this the one Matt had for sale?

Back to the Twins!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

jeff, interior pics please. especially since we have all looked down the top of chris new bride.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Here is another non Lucy 72 HO vert:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...TO+455+HO+vert

Was this the one Matt had for sale?

Back to the Twins!
Hmmmmmm . . .

It Could be, I suppose. Matt's car was maroon when he owned it, but it WAS originally a WG car . . .

Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt's/John's old car is still Burgundy/Maroon, is in Michigan and is enjoyed on a regular basis - the current owner is a member here although almost never posts - he sent me a nice e-mail after he saw the thread. The Green one in Mike's post is in NC now and sold for well over the auction prices.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978