THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You mean to tell me there ain't a descent shop within a 30 mile radius of you ,for repairs ? It's a Pontiac...not a Porsche... And I have a Pontiac.....lol

Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David

As I mentioned earlier - Hagerty will pay for temporary repairs to make the car driveable.

With your adjusters approval, drive it with the 10 year old spare (1 time) and have a body shop carefully manipulate the fender so your regular tire won't rub.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andrews Paint and Body.
I am now waiting on Hagerty's estimate.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just make sure the shop of your choice gets an agreed estimate of repairs with the Haggerty appraiser......you don't want any out of pocket expenses on your behalf. An estimate is just that....one guys guess at how long it should take vs the actual guy /body man that is making the repairs. And make sure there is room for a supplement (hidden damage not found on the initial inspection). I've been arguing with appraisers for 40 years. Some are ok....and you think the other appraisers are paying the claim out of their pocket. Those guys are shown the front door.....or I refuse to do the work. I have Haggerty too.....so I have some skin in your outcome.....Best of luck.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry for you and the car, Its a real Jungle out there. I often tell my wife the insurance company should be sending me checks each month for all the accidents I avoid. Hagerty is a Class Act. Years with them, I had one small claim and they seemed more concerned about the car getting fixed fast and proper than I was.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope it goes well for you.
Be patient. I posted here a few years back when my Formula was hit. The whole ordeal was painful and took months. It was his insurance.

I had to find the Quarter panel as it couldn't be saved. The shop just didn't or wouldn't devote the time to looking for a good used panel.. I had heard terrible things about the reproductions and did not want to use one..In the end it worked out ...ok... All the best to you.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 12-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

not as bad as my 68, still have it though after all these years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1828[1].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	443185  

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 12-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
not as bad as my 68, still have it though after all these years
I believe you win Bill!

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I believe you win Bill!
Bill win, but his neighbors are the losers here! LOL Unless they like old american iron "artwork."

469, M21, 3.42

Old 12-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

David,

Sure am sorry. How do you go about finding someone who cares enough to fix it like you would. Bummed out.🤔

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - K (from MIB)

1972 LeMans Sport convert (T41) '70 XF 455, TH400, 3.31 12-bolt Posi
Old 12-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Sorry about your car, interesting to see your experience with Hagerty though, hope the repairs come out to your satisfaction!

Old 12-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I received the Hagerty estimate this morning.

$3607.09

They list $71.90 in parts. That's for 2 hinges. They don't show a rear wheel well molding, which was destroyed.
They list $720 for paint and materials.
They list $79.19 for tax on parts and materials.
They list 33 hours @ $48 hr for sheet metal repair/replace. $1584.00
They list 24 hours @ $48 hr for sheet metal refinishing. $1152.00
If the rain holds off I'll run it over and see what the body shop says. In a phone call to the body shop this morning Tommy noted that "we'll see how bad the estimate is".....

Last edited by David Jones; 12-28-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The body shop guys chuckled. Right off the bat the labor rate ($48) is way off. They don't feel the rear quarter is saveable and that its bent up under the vinyl top. If that's the case it'll need a new vinyl top. They feel the door needs a skin. They say blending the paint will require covering way more car than the estimate allows. The shop is going to work something up and get with the local adjuster next week.

Having fun now......

Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmmmm........it doesn't look that bad to me, from the photos. Looks like all the damage is at or below the body line, not into the C pillar of the roof. $48 an hour? Out where I am, it's $100-$120 per hour for this type of work. I agree that blending the Verdoro will be a challenge.....the whole car may need painting. Keep in mind, you need the car in 'pre-accident condition', period. You didn't do anything wrong here, so you don't have to settle for a sub-par job. It's the insurance company's duty to fix it right, and IME, insurance companies are all about saving as much money as they can. Don't let them cut corners on you. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sheesh. hit a deer in my 2002 Tahoe This fall 295000 ish miles. Took out grill, headlight, small dent in hood and front quarter. $3800 and change for 2 pieces of plastic and a little bump work, no panels, and a front end respray to blend dents. . This was on a 14 yr old piece of crap. From State Farm
Seems like a lowball. Would have never expected it from Hagarty.
Watching with concern. Keep on em!

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The body shop guys chuckled. Right off the bat the labor rate ($48) is way off. They don't feel the rear quarter is saveable and that its bent up under the vinyl top. If that's the case it'll need a new vinyl top. They feel the door needs a skin. They say blending the paint will require covering way more car than the estimate allows. The shop is going to work something up and get with the local adjuster next week.

Having fun now......
See post #6.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Having fun now......
Saw that coming. The going labor rate up here is 46-50.00 for insurance work. What is the shop trying to get per hour ? If you decide to get it repaired at that shop ...you might have to cough up the labor difference cost. The shop should be able to get your car what it needs...with some back and forth with the Appraiser. Some shops don't deal with insurance companies...it's their rate or go some where else.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw this scenario coming on December 10. Been through it several times and in the end I always got paid what the bill was. I've done repair claims for classic insurers ranging from $3500 to $54,000. Did I make buddies with the insurance people? Probably not. Did I do quality repairs and have satisfied customers? Yes.
Guys, do not assume that Hagerty or the other classic insurers have full time damage appraisers on staff to travel the world and will look at your car. Do not expect the representative who looks at your car to have knowledge of classic cars. Often they do not have a clue about parts sources. They are employed by independent appraisal companies, who in turn contract with the big names to take pictures and throw together an estimate. They are not "car guys". They file the estimate with a supervisor, who in turn sends it to Hagerty. During that process, the numbers will likely be trimmed before Hagerty gets it.
There really is so much about this process that most guys are not aware of. David's is the classic example of how it can go once the wheels start turning.

The burden for a correct repair lies with the shop it goes to, and Hagerty WILL pay for correct repairs, and at a higher rate than collision rate.

I could go much deeper, but I think that's enough. Again, wishing good luck to you David.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One more bit of trivia that I should mention regarding appraisers and adjusters.
There are differences. An appraiser only documents the damage or loss, and the condition of the vehicle. He/she may or may not write the estimate that you get. That person may be paid a flat fee per claim. Period. They are not paid to care or spend endless hours locating parts for you. Often they want the shop to do the leg work so they can submit the information to higher-ups. They do not negotiate with the insured or issue checks. Sadly, this the person who often physically represents the company that you pay money to.
An adjuster has the authority to negotiate and financially settle the claim. That's who the shop ultimately relies on for approval. That's the P.C. way that they want to operate. How it goes after this is what separates the winners and losers.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let the body shop work with Hagerty on the errors on the estimate. I'm sure that this will be resolved to your satisfaction.