Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to all about the side track

Back to topic

Congratulations to Big Chief breaking into the three second zone! Awesome achievement! I'm glad your basic, standard pushrod location E-heads got the job done.

Also quite the achievement dragging those Hemi and 481X (LOL) heads down the track... Not easily done.

It sucks you can't keep up with all the better Pontiac heads that are out there...like the Tigers, the Hi-ports, etc.

Disappointing you already went a bunch slower with all those other more expensive heads... I'm sure it was a suspension issue from all the extra power.

PS....if you need to up your game I would suggest reaching out to a guy on the West Coast named Dragncar. He is incredibly smart and knows all the ways to make big power...he even ran 10.80 once.

PPTFMF!!!..... 481XLOL

Old 12-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
If you need to up your game I would suggest reaching out to a guy on the West Coast named Dragncar. He is incredibly smart and knows all the ways to make big power...he even ran 10.80 once.

PPTFMF!!!..... 481XLOL
Post of the year.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

PS....if you need to up your game I would suggest reaching out to a guy on the West Coast named Dragncar. He is incredibly smart and knows all the ways to make big power...he even ran 10.80 once.

PPTFMF!!!..... 481XLOL
Also if he doesn't have a clue he'll just make something up and pass it off as fact. That's what makes him so smart

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It was my understanding that's the head stud in between the two exhaust ports would crush after repeated torquing's. Has the newer casting from Edelbrock been fixed? And if its still a problem how many sets has Chief gone through? He has more passes in one year than over half this board combined, me included Ha
What about his head gasket life?? I believe he was dry decked, copper gasket and double O rings at one point.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 tall deck View Post
It was my understanding that's the head stud in between the two exhaust ports would crush after repeated torquing's. Has the newer casting from Edelbrock been fixed? And if its still a problem how many sets has Chief gone through? He has more passes in one year than over half this board combined, me included Ha
What about his head gasket life?? I believe he was dry decked, copper gasket and double O rings at one point.
The "stud issue" usually isn't an issue if the head is prepped properly....it was never a "design problem"

Head gasket sealing is easily resolved by using the AP sealing rings which I believe were designed by Marty Pablikin (sp) and his team.

Last edited by PAUL K; 12-10-2019 at 12:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PAUL K For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fastest Pontiac

A lot of discussion and disagreement on the fastest Pontiac-powered door slammer. Not a door slammer, but here's the fastest Pontiac-powered car so far. ET 5.87 @ 250 mph. I was lucky to be there for this run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1zgMhSHcM

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
A lot of discussion and disagreement on the fastest Pontiac-powered door slammer. Not a door slammer, but here's the fastest Pontiac-powered car so far. ET 5.87 @ 250 mph. I was lucky to be there for this run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1zgMhSHcM
I was fortunate enough to witness that pass live also. I was standing at the big end and knew they finally got their well deserved five second pass as the car was hauling down the track. I had an excellent view and will never forget how the entire run looked...it was incredible!

Old 12-11-2019, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sorry to all about the side track

Back to topic

Congratulations to Big Chief breaking into the three second zone! Awesome achievement! I'm glad your basic, standard pushrod location E-heads got the job done.

Also quite the achievement dragging those Hemi and 481X (LOL) heads down the track... Not easily done.

It sucks you can't keep up with all the better Pontiac heads that are out there...like the Tigers, the Hi-ports, etc.

Disappointing you already went a bunch slower with all those other more expensive heads... I'm sure it was a suspension issue from all the extra power.

PPTFMF!!!..... 481XLOL
You are a learner like the rest of us. When you can stop going after pics and measurements of real head/intake guys on the down low then you will be a teacher.
IMO your know how came off the backs of others, one click away from dishonesty.
Not sure how you get anything done, you must monitor PY Race 24/7.
No one is a bigger fan of Justin and what he has done with little E heads that I. Yet you want to make it like I am ripping on him. Remember that "gasslighting" term ?
High Ports and Tigers are not great Nitrous heads, everyone knows that. Twin turbos do very well with smaller heads. There are guys putting out 900-1000HP with single turbos on stock blocks, 400 cranks with as cast D ports and log manifolds.
Your turn.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
You are a learner like the rest of us. When you can stop going after pics and measurements of real head/intake guys on the down low then you will be a teacher.
No one is a bigger fan of Justin and what he has done with little E heads that I. Yet you want to make it like I am ripping on him. Remember that "gasslighting" term ?
High Ports and Tigers are not great Nitrous heads, everyone knows that. Twin turbos do very well with smaller heads. There are guys putting out 900-1000HP with single turbos on stock blocks, 400 cranks with as cast D ports and log manifolds.
Your turn.
Really?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Really?

Stan
You shouldn't question him. He knows everything.
But it does make you wonder why BES choose Tigers to use on nitrous engines if they're such a bad head for it.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave me out of the p*ssing match, but our experience with the Grocery Getter was that switching from e-heads to off-the-shelf Tigers was worth 150 hp NA on the dyno and time slips suggested that same gain carried over to the nitrous use.

We're lucky to have so many choices for Pontiacs and I wouldn't hesitate to use e-heads for many applications.......but not every build.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Your turn.
Please stay on post....you like to derail every thread because you feel you are self important. If you want to continue start your own thread and tell us all about your accomplishments... I'm sure you have a lot to offer. You can tell us everything you learned by waisting other vendors time and the rest of your gained knowledge that came from a known liar that posts other folks dyno sheets as his own... I'm sure your new thread will be as good as the last two you started.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Leave me out of the p*ssing match, but our experience with the Grocery Getter was that switching from e-heads to off-the-shelf Tigers was worth 150 hp NA on the dyno and time slips suggested that same gain carried over to the nitrous use.

We're lucky to have so many choices for Pontiacs and I wouldn't hesitate to use e-heads for many applications.......but not every build.

Eric
That's good information. Did the Tigers respond to additional amounts of nitrous?

It's a great time to be into Pontiacs. We have several choices of good heads and each one shines in a different arena. Sometimes I wonder where our hobby would be if it wasn't for the aftermarket offerings. Had everything stopped with the Wenzler heads and no aftermarket blocks....

Old 12-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Really?

Stan
You dare question the "Great Dragncar" ? You do know he went 10.80 once?....I'm sure he waisted at least an hour of an unsuspecting vendors time to get that opinion and the fellow on the other end just agreed to agree to get him off the phone.

He also has a chit ton of experience with Tiger heads and power adder combinations....at least he owns a set of Hi-ports and his best friend Gach bought a nitrous system once...just never used it.

Last edited by PAUL K; 12-11-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ray Cox also ran good with Tiger heads on spray.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's good information. Did the Tigers respond to additional amounts of nitrous?
Yes, the Tigers allowed us to increase the spray. We were spraying about 600 hp of nitrous at the end and felt like the Tigers were about choked. We felt like some serious porting R&D would be the next step but didn't sink the money into that because the Boss Bird build was nearing completion.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Yes, the Tigers allowed us to increase the spray. We were spraying about 600 hp of nitrous at the end and felt like the Tigers were about choked. We felt like some serious porting R&D would be the next step but didn't sink the money into that because the Boss Bird build was nearing completion.

Eric
Thanks for the info....what seemed to be the limit of nitrous the E-heads were happy with?

Last edited by PAUL K; 12-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since this thread is about The Crow, he isn't running nitrous anymore (as far as I know?), how much better would the Tiger head be than the Ehead for turbochargers?

I would think a bigger port and possibly a bigger chamber would be able to cram more of that power making mixture in there for each combustion event?

Instead of a boom you could get a BOOM?
(about like nitro)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Since this thread is about The Crow, he isn't running nitrous anymore (as far as I know?), how much better would the Tiger head be than the Ehead for turbochargers?

I would think a bigger port and possibly a bigger chamber would be able to cram more of that power making mixture in there for each combustion event?

(about like nitro)

Bigger is always better specially in a PA application, maybe that’s why Tommy’s car made record breaking HP.......JMO!

GTO George

Old 12-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

(about like nitro)

If you're on a dyno you'd probably make more power...maybe a lot more. That doesn't mean the car will get to the finish line quicker. A lot of other variables need to be accounted for. How fast the engine will spool, what RPM will the bigger head work at, etc. You also have to tune the rest of the car to take advantage of the "better" heads.... and then you have the reliability factor to consider. Anytime you start tilting and twisting things you have the potential for more issues... If you want to win a race you have to win the rounds.

I have no idea if Chief uses nitrous. Sometimes turbo combination use nitrous to make up for turbo lag.