Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

Just got off the phone with Brain Crower about the cranks and he said if the billets ($1400-$1700) sell they would make a forging for pontiacs. Now this is different than what David told me but who knows just have to wait two months and see.

Mike m.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A $1400 billet from Crower?

Wait, lemme' get my checkbook out. While I'm at it I want to place an order with someone for a $200 plasma screen TV and a $75 PC for home use.

The next thing you know they'll be selling a pound of ice cream at Norwalk for a dime.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK what is it a billet or a forging?Also what main size?If a stock 455 we will still need the Dude bearing kit if we want to cut them down.Tom

Old 11-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Baker:
A $1400 billet from Crower?

Wait, lemme' get my checkbook out. While I'm at it I want to place an order with someone for a $200 plasma screen TV and a $75 PC for home use.

The next thing you know they'll be selling a pound of ice cream at Norwalk for a dime. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Brain 1400-1700 for a billet that is what Brain and David Crower said that is all i can go on what they say. He said he can sell you the 2800 one if you want(metal from USA), they are getting the metal from some other country (asked if it was china and he said NO). Call Brain at crower and ask him, I can only type what they have told me over the phone thats it .

mike m.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You mean to tell me that the price of foreign steel is so much cheaper that they can knock 50% off the price of a finished crank?

Yowza!

Old 11-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thats what i said to them, i even asked 4 times now that for a billet one right he said yes. So just what I am getting a new billet crank.? And a new block, maybe I will get that regal really going after a new motor

mike m.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This truly is great news. Look at the hits on this thread and tell me that there isn't a need or want for forged Pontiac cranks.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

Definitely a need! Talked to Crower on Monday and they also told me billets were going to down in price, said to call in January as they were getting a good deal on semi machined pieces.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keep the calls, emails and posts coming and someone will take a chance and answer the demand. Sounds like Crower has an open ear to the cries.

Emailed Eagle and will continue to till a forged crank enters the market

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10", Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" & Borla Pro XS 3", Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump, 12 Bolt, 3.73, 33 Spline
Old 11-25-2004, 08:12 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Baker:
You mean to tell me that the price of foreign steel is so much cheaper that they can knock 50% off the price of a finished crank?

Yowza! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

American steel worker wage $20= hr versus gook slave labor $5 a day?
Kinda helps with the profit margin for the corporation!!!!!

Old 11-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Suspended

Chuck:

You speak as though "Corporation" is a filthy word, and that a corporation is some greedy money pit into which capital flows and disappears.

A corporation consists of shareholders; the sole reason the corporation exists is shareholder wealth maximization. Don't lose sight of that fact.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It aint the 20 dollar and hour labor is all the other cost companies are saddled with here in the US vrs the rest of the world plus the big dogs in the tall buildings that make 7 figure salarys + perks ....

Old 11-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't be suspect of metal coming just from China, another popular source is South Africa. Sent alot of metal back there this past week.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:57 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Misus:
Chuck:

You speak as though "Corporation" is a filthy word, and that a corporation is some greedy money pit into which capital flows and disappears.

A corporation consists of shareholders; the sole reason the corporation exists is shareholder wealth maximization. Don't lose sight of that fact.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No not really . But as a machinist at a company that is also a foundry making die castings. It is everyday life trying to figure out ways to make it faster/cheaper just to stay remotely competitive.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:43 PM

I am not a expert but I do know that Gary McGlasson who build my engines has his act together and if you need a engine build and you qualify for Gary's expertise then he will build you a Motor thaty flys.
case closed as I am lol
His Phone number is 505-865-0059 . By the way don't leave your number for Gary to call back as he works 24/7 and you must call him until you get Gary live . Lol

Old 11-29-2004, 04:12 PM

my local junkyard, that crushes cars everyday said alot of our scrap is going over to some other country recycled and sold right back here

Old 11-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have to be a dealer to get one of these billets at this price?Brian

Old 11-30-2004, 05:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Misus:
Chuck:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Corporation can be a dirty word.
When you take the profits and invest them in other markets instead of investing in newer updated programs and equipment to compete down the road in your own business....... then wonder why Foreign trade is increasing?????

That's what happened to the steel industry.

Investing in Southern Condo's or Wall street comodities market and not in your own company has it's downside. Especially when it goes back to stockholders and management only.
Philosphy back then was. I won't be around so I need to make it now.

Well............ it's now.

Case in point. Nothing like Getting rid of the President of Ford a few years back and giving him a million dollar bonus to leave.

And you wonder why the price of American goods is going up?

Anyway, Glad to hear that an <span class="ev_code_RED">affordable</span> aftermarket Billet steel crank is in the works

Old 11-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nassar was overpaid to begin with and he made too many mistakes along the way getting there. Hell, he is the reason so many Fords have the gas fill lid on the wrong side of the vehical. That is so stupid. I get p.o.'ed about it everytime I've ever had to get gas in my 95 t-bird.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I called Crower today to see what was going on.

They recieved 2 foriegn made semi finished billets yesterday and hopefully will have 1 ready for PRI.

Because of the lower demand the foriegn company told Crower they would produce the billets instead of a forging. But the price will most likely be $1900, and of course I will handle these.

The forging is still a possibility, but not in the near future.

So far what Crower now has looks good. By having the cranks semi finished, Crower will control the finished product quality, just like they do with their rods. I like that.

I did add, a lower cost (in the $1400 range) crank would sell much better, and is such a missing piece in the whole Pontiac puzzle. The $1900 crank, if kept on the shelf, will help a great deal.

The cranks available look like they will be 3" mains. Strokes discussed most likely will be 4.250 and 4.500 strokes. I feel a 4" stroke would sell nicely as well.

This is pretty encouraging news, but like most, I was hoping to see a $1400 forging - some day hopefully.

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform