Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Brian........... Ray Has no Supercharging experience.

He doesn't even have any Nitrous plate experience as he stated a long time ago in a post. So I don't think he is the blow thru brain trust on that end.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ray needs to smace it with a BFH...that'll fix it.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Ray that would be Nebraska...

Amber waves of grain would be Indiana...

Or Hoosier daddy...

LMFAO...that was good

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My eyes/head hurt from reading some of the previous posts.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
i was advised to install jet tube extensions and try that to lower the A/F ratio. for the next session. made them, carb actted totaly dif.
This should be done back when your running 10's usually.
Can't believe you didn't have any jet extensions.
Do you have the bowl extensions?
Or the PV out on the rear?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never mind all of that, John...what about removing the rear jets all together and not running anything in the holes?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
This should be done back when your running 10's usually.
Can't believe you didn't have any jet extensions.
Do you have the bowl extensions?
Or the PV out on the rear?
John,

I believe that he is referring to vent tube extensions into the blower hat. It's a common modification in the EV hats.

Quote:

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone connected the vent tubes with a hose?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Boost Engineer

"Has anyone connected the vent tubes with a hose?"

The "VENT EXTENSIONS MOD" is typically a set of tubes attached to the bowl vents that are placed at the entrance to the bonnet. Air Velocity acting on the vents forces more fuel through the jetting and power valve circuits compared to a naturally aspirated carb. Very large jetting can now be reduced to much lower numbers and still be fuel rich. Therefore the ability to add even more fuel to the system.

A Common trick (know in the 60s) to add fuel to the system covertly.
More recently discussed at great lengths on the Turbo Forum Blow-thru website.

I think that Brad mixes the terms up but has the basic concepts down pretty well. He can't TELL you what he did but he can SHOW someone what he did and describe how his car ran afterward.

Connecting the vents with a common hose that was slotted was a common mod for reducing fuel in the venturis when you dumped the throttle at the end of the quarter. Purely a fuel slosh mod for people who did not do the white plastic vent mods inside the bowls. The "Vent Extensions" is a CALIBRATION MOD.

Keep working at it Brad. Kevin has done some E-85 carbs in the past.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Suspended

"I do BOOSTED ENGINE DEVELOPMENT WORK full time as a job, what do you do??

I like your sig Tom! What your saying is........................ You've only ever done it, but never actually read about it. Everyone knows you can't possibly be of any help here since you don't have one of the fastest cars here!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Boost Engineer

I have had "experience" with some of the fastest "door cars" in the country whereas the fastest vehicle I have driven for any period of time was a 600+ hp "Pool Car" owned by the Ford Motor Company. I drove a high hp Baja 1000 off-road truck for a couple of hours in a couple of races (about 750 hp) but most of the time the truck was at lower speeds unless we were on the desert flats. I thought I was going to get to drive a 200+ mph Ranger (with a Roush NASCAR engine) at Bonneville one year I was there but it did not work out.

Agree, don't claim by any means to have a "FAST CAR" on this board.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom and brian are correct((i apalogize and meant no respect). i meant vent tube extensions. they were the only change we made and it totlay changed the carbs atittude.. went from way lean to way fat, i mean terribly fat. ray and i messed with it for 6 hours, i mean it changed everything in the carb. got it to come up on the break at a 10.00 a/f ratio.(actualy made more power, went from 4700rpm to 5100rpm on the break). so we figured it wouls be good to go. well it( vent tube extensions) did not work for my combo. haven't botherd keven yet because i can't fix it yet(no money so waste his time) but i will tell you guys what i am going to do to the carb based on my own exp with moving more fuel. the jets were.118 primary(with primary hs air bleeds) with .077/.088/.088 pvcrs. no jets in the rear (inner diameter was .140") with .077/.088/.088pvcrs. I am going to make all of the pvcr's .095"(plug the primary hs air bleeds totaly, drill out the rear jet-tube extensions to .175" and hope it will move enough fuel. if this is not enough i will use the notrius plate under the carb to ad more fuel. am i mad or upset about what has happened, not realy. it is the dum@ss comments from people on this board that piss me off more than anything else. as far as the consistancy of fuel, i bought 100gallons at 1 time to ilimanate that problemn. the fuel system will move more than enough fuel, it is just a matter of getting the carb to meter it correctly. as far as getting it squared away on c-16 before switching to a diff fuel for the new combo, hell i must just as well piss in the wind and let it hit me in the face. then enjoy drinking somehting that tasted bad. then drink somehing else and piss into the wind again and see if it tastes better. maybee one would be better than the other? but only my kidneys would know the diff. some of you guys on hear kill me me with you .5ars comments. I, WITH THE HELP OF RAY, KEVEN(CSU) AND OTHER POSITIVE INFLUENCES WILL FIGURE THIS COMBO OUT!. if i knew how to to use th quote button to capture peoples commit and reply directly, i would not be so so nice. i think in a pm i asked b.b69, what his boost was at a certain rpm on the 2 steap and what it was at the max rpm at the gear shift. i know neither of the questions were answered. but you all should just know right now, that when i start all of my rambiling and my 1/2 ananswered questions that i am on dissability and BI-POLAR.(this explianes all the problems with the ERK/1RM blocks and the probs my dad is having now) i can't afford 1/8 of the meds they want want me to take. but i can tell anyone that i know how to make a blow-thru pontiac run period.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchospidel View Post
if i knew how to to use th quote button to capture peoples commit and reply directly, i would not be so so nice. i think in a pm i asked b.b69, what his boost was at a certain rpm on the 2 steap and what it was at the max rpm at the gear shift. i know neither of the questions were answered.

Here is my response to your PM, via another PM (below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchospidel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69bird
Brad,

Good luck on Wednesday dude! Keep us posted!

-Brian

brain i just now got the blower hooked up(had a bunch of small problems) probably won't make it to the track till next wednesday with the holiday. do you know how much boost you have at 4500rpm on the 2-step and at max rpm? i had 7#. just trying to figure out how much boost it is going to make, don't want to lift the heads first time out. thanks in advance for any help.

hope you and your family have a great 4th of july,

brad.

Brad,

I went away for the holiday and got back late last night. Hope you had a good holiday too. I haven't looked to see what the boost was on the transbrake. I'm sure it is lower than what you are making, plus I don't leave that high because of the small tire. Good luck on Wednesday!

-Brian
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

You are correct, I didn't answer the boost at max RPM (my mistake). Since I changed the pulley over the winter, I have not looked at the boost reading coming off the brake. I haven't had the opportunity, nor the chance. When I'm at the line my boost numbers on the brake are the least of my worries. I'm more concerned about everything else when I approach the starting line. Again as stated in my PM, I'm not pulling as much boost as you because my launch RPM is lower. As far as max boost, it varies from pass to pass according to my shift points and the DA, but usually between 21-23#s.

Quote:

Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just checked my pm's. i asked if bb69new the boost on the b reak and iff he knew the bost at the max rpm. i guess not because there was no answer to either question.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad, I'll re-send the PM to you with my response (see above post). I DID answer your PM.

Quote:

Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you know it all realy don't to cry about dumb chit anyway. i hope brian runs 8.30's or faster sooner. fuc all the other sit. i have no prob with anybody and wish them the best. but when i post something and it is said to be BS i tend to get pissed off. i mean, should there be a new section in the race forum that says i think your comments are BS. becuase what i post is 100% the truthe as i know it. and as far as all the other crap that goes along with it, i could care less iff someone choked on it.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

It's cool Brad, we're all here to help each other.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LIL JACK(you have been quiet) my litle brothers truck is not runnig as good as it should. maybee you with your infinate wisdom could tell me how to fix or tune it??(1996 chevy truck), thqnks, brad.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Brad needs to get smaced by Ray with his BFH...he'll feel better.

Just saying Brad, with all of the problems you've had, trying to run it out the back door when you know up front the a/f ratio is 16:1, or even "better" at 14:1 is not a good move. Also glad to see you're not dicking around with E-85...might work for some naturally aspirated...but not consistently from tank to tank, and playing with it in your combo would be a major crap shoot. I dicked around with a methanol carb on my T/A when I was trying to get it to pass our state emissions test, it was a pain in the a$$ but I got it to pass (barely)...never heard of anyone from those I talked to locally in trying to set it up trying to run with no metering jets in the secondary's...seems any metering going on with the orifice in the plate would be uneven.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Had to go to see my buddy in Clearwater yesterday. You should see what's in progress in that shop.

3rd Gen Camaro. Stock suspension DR but in the losist of terms now-a-days. The rear set up and 3rd gen the only way to go.
540 BBC with aluminum heads.

F-3 ATI procharger driven off the crank front mount with a gear drive set up. You have over 65 different gear choices to drive for boost.

No cooler as it's on Alcohol.

Blow thru with a Dominator CSU carb. Extreme velocity hat. Trick set up with electric solenoids that control the fuel to the needle and seat. Has a sensor to tell it when the carb needs fuel. Never have to worry about loading up on the brake or shift. The carb is almost as long as the intake. Clean see thru end plates. dividers, etc. A true work of art. $1800.00

Some sort of another electric timed solenoid plumbed into the side of the intake to the blow off valve with a jet in it to control boost and bleed off on the trans brake.

A basic simple set up looking at it and explained to me. Takes a lot of the issues out of the equasion when trying to run it down the track.

Gonna get pics of this. They are looking for mid 7's. weighs 3120 with driver.

Closed Thread