THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
I remember the "Vr-room" motors! I only knew one kid that had one, and we were all jealous. We used the poor mans motorcycle sounds, we taped baseball cards to the forks of our bikes, and they slapped against the spokes.

Here's the Vr-room!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0dK42wOOA

My friend had the Cox Vega Funny Car. Remember how those Cox .049's started? On the airplanes, you hooked a little spring on one of the prop blades, turned a few turns, then let it kick back, and hopefully it would start. On the Cox cars, you flipped the rear tire, and they seemed much harder to start.

I sometimes see guys flying their R/C planes at a Forest Preserve by us, with a dedicated runway and area for R/C planes. I sometimes stop to watch, always looking for scale models. Not too interested in the stunt planes. Anyway, when one of those starts up, I smell that wonderful Cox engine fuel, and it really takes me back.

I found a box of old Cox stuff that I have, but everything is in pieces, nothing complete. An old 3-wheeled motorcycle in metallic purple, parts of a VW Dune buggy, and a blue front engined dragster.
I never would have remembered that vroom motor if you hadn't posted that commercial. I do remember those. That clip brought on a flashback. I remember the fact that it had a key. That thing was beyond any dream of me ever getting one. In fact, my first tricycle was a hand me down bike...lol

I've still got a quart of cox glo fuel, an engine on a wooden pylon that I used to fly gliders with as an adult and the battery starter wires.
As for being hard to start, they were ALL hard to start. You never forget the smell.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I had a VW beetle, my brother the dune buggy, although I don' remember it looking like Steve's ad. Both our cars had a teenie pull cord to start, and the glow plug/battery setup...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I had a VW beetle, my brother the dune buggy, although I don' remember it looking like Steve's ad. Both our cars had a teenie pull cord to start, and the glow plug/battery setup...
Pull cord must have been later. I remember starting the cars by flipping a bike over on it's seat and handlebars, pedaling up to some speed and placing the drive tire against the spinning bike tire.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are pics of my car when i was a teenager. This is the same car that own today that it is a stock Judge convertible replica(the car in my avatar) The first pic
is from 1972, the second is of me changing the oil in my folk's driveway Thanksgiving
day 1973, the third was taken during the car's second of four complete restos. It was taken
in 1980.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0008.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	250696   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0010.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	250698   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0009.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	250699  

Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I found a box of old Cox stuff that I have, but everything is in pieces, nothing complete. An old 3-wheeled motorcycle in metallic purple, parts of a VW Dune buggy, and a blue front engined dragster.
I had one of those trikes! They had a pull start. Mine was red. Had those big squishy slicks.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
I remember the "Vr-room" motors! I only knew one kid that had one, and we were all jealous. We used the poor mans motorcycle sounds, we taped baseball cards to the forks of our bikes, and they slapped against the spokes.

Here's the Vr-room!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0dK42wOOA

My friend had the Cox Vega Funny Car. Remember how those Cox .049's started? On the airplanes, you hooked a little spring on one of the prop blades, turned a few turns, then let it kick back, and hopefully it would start. On the Cox cars, you flipped the rear tire, and they seemed much harder to start.

I sometimes see guys flying their R/C planes at a Forest Preserve by us, with a dedicated runway and area for R/C planes. I sometimes stop to watch, always looking for scale models. Not too interested in the stunt planes. Anyway, when one of those starts up, I smell that wonderful Cox engine fuel, and it really takes me back.

Mike, If you ( or anyone else ) would consider selling the Cox front engined dragster, I would be interested. Any Condition considered.

Yes, the Vega and Pinto funny cars, and probably others, did start by spinning the rear tires. I remember in 6th or 7th grade attending the AHRA Winternationals at Beeline Dragway. Hanging out in the nitro pits ( where else ?) I noticed all the enclosed trailers that were becoming popular. So, at wood shop in school, I built an enclosed trailer for my Cox Vega funny car. It had a hinged roof in the front to store my battery , fuel , tools, etc. Wish I still had it.

One of these days, want to get one of my old Cox control line planes running, or just buy another. I want to fly one again. They are a lot of fun.

On the Stuka- I forgot about the bomb but, do remember their wings made out of a blue, thin foam like substance? They were quite fragile and the life of mine was quite short.
I think the Mustang was the fastes, perhaps because it was the smallest. My fav is the P-40 Warhawk. Second is the Corsair. My complaint with the Corsair was the way the main landing gear was molded into the wing and quite fragile.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
Mike, If you ( or anyone else ) would consider selling the Cox front engined dragster, I would be interested. Any Condition considered.

Yes, the Vega and Pinto funny cars, and probably others, did start by spinning the rear tires. I remember in 6th or 7th grade attending the AHRA Winternationals at Beeline Dragway. Hanging out in the nitro pits ( where else ?) I noticed all the enclosed trailers that were becoming popular. So, at wood shop in school, I built an enclosed trailer for my Cox Vega funny car. It had a hinged roof in the front to store my battery , fuel , tools, etc. Wish I still had it.

One of these days, want to get one of my old Cox control line planes running, or just buy another. I want to fly one again. They are a lot of fun.

On the Stuka- I forgot about the bomb but, do remember their wings made out of a blue, thin foam like substance? They were quite fragile and the life of mine was quite short.
I think the Mustang was the fastes, perhaps because it was the smallest. My fav is the P-40 Warhawk. Second is the Corsair. My complaint with the Corsair was the way the main landing gear was molded into the wing and quite fragile.
Now that you mention it...I had the P-40 too.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, that may have been a different version of the Stuka, as I remember mine was all black plastic. I found a pic on the web, and this was just what mine looked like. Note the red interior!

Many considered the Stuka an ugly bird, but I liked them. The gull wing just looked cool to me. The F4U Corsair was my other favorite back them.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Thanks for the pic. I forgot the Stuka had gull type wings. The German Cox plane I had was different than a Stuka. It did not look like a 190 or a 109, at least I do not think it did.
The plane I got had blue wings that were wide and flat. I do not remember them tapered either and it was larger than the Corsair. Just drawing a blank.

I never had a Stuka.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 07-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Pull cord must have been later. I remember starting the cars by flipping a bike over on it's seat and handlebars, pedaling up to some speed and placing the drive tire against the spinning bike tire.
Dang! Why didn't I ever think of that? Would have been much easier than flipping that wheel by hand!

BJ

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Dang! Why didn't I ever think of that? Would have been much easier than flipping that wheel by hand!

BJ
That's ok...It was a major event whenever I got any of those Cox engines to start by any means.
....and the Stuka pictured above is definitely the one I had. I remember the sliding canopy and red pilot and gunner.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the blue version of this car, with the Cox .049. Sucked to start, I wish I had Greg's ingenuity at the time.
This was in the '60s, and I had to sell umpteen billion greeting cards to get enough points to order it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-COX-Teth...-/270729262513

Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greeting cards! Now that brings back some memories too. Sold a blue million of them myself.

Anyone remember the old balsa wood gliders, with the wind-up rubber band motors and wire landing gear with plastic wheels? Rat Finks? How bout those pictures or cards - maybe they were stickers, but they had big blown engines in cars with oversized wheels with a monster looking cartoon character shifting gears with a giant shifter way above his head? What were those things called?

BJ

Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a Cox dune buggy that very rarely started.

I have a black 57 Chev that has never been run.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sold greeting cards to get my 049 powered Hovercraft.
And those Ratfink characters you're talking about...they even made plastic models of the cars and montrous characters. I had several of them.
And how about the CARtoon magazines? It was in a MAD Magazine format but all Hot Rod and street car related.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I still have a few CARtoons mags.Unk and them varmints.Pappy Lemmons.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
I still have a few CARtoons mags.Unk and them varmints.Pappy Lemmons.
I couldn't find a thing about that mag using Google. I guess because the word "cartoons" is kinda hard to narrow down to a single magazine.

EDIT- Did find it in Wikipedia...I had no idea that it was still around until '91.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARtoons_Magazine

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-24-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I sold a weekly newspaper, call Grit (I believe...???), it was 20 cents a copy, I had a route. Boy Howdy I was raking in the greenbacks in those days...LOL

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

George Trosley did most of the cartoons in CarToons magazine. It was one of my favorite magazines growing up.

http://www.georgetrosley.com/page822.html

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
George Trosley did most of the cartoons in CarToons magazine. It was one of my favorite magazines growing up.

http://www.georgetrosley.com/page822.html
Cool site. I see that you can purchase a drawing or your car on a CARtoons cover.

I was a big fan of Millar's style too-
http://www.laffyerasphalt.com/

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-25-2011 at 06:31 AM.