Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:53 AM
Suspended

I to agree with the comments about machine work VS building the engine. I have a shop thats very good that now has been doing my machine work for the past 10 years. BUT, as good as they are I still bring the engine in parts home & spend the next 5-6 days putting the engine together. Each piston is checked & the crank is checked & the rods. The last few engine I've put together don't leak & run great, but I can say I'd probably fell different if someone else put them together, as I've had bottom ends done by others & it ended up bad. Get the machine work done & put it together yourself.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Senior Chief

Default UPDATE

well, no matter how much I cropped my shots..to a minimum anyway I could not get them loaded to site. I know some of u wanted to see the bearings. The owner at Victory Motors in San Jose discussed the problems with my shop. They suggested getting distributor tested. As its a dual advance smog distributor they found the retard side not to be working. Don t know that's enough to cause detonation and eventually all these problems but some believe so. Also they sent out for a 2nd set of eyes and it came back clear. I ran a of the different scenarios by them that have been written here and they all check out ok. So, the block is back together and they I'll dyno with the holley carb again and a different distributor this week. Keeping fingers crossed!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Senior Chief

....they had a 2nd set of eyes look at the block. If the distributor is not the problem, I just have to believe they could not get tolerances right. Again wish me luck.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobully View Post
I've tried to upload pics of bearings as JPG files but they keep failing. And it does not give a reason that I can see. But, some are very dark and brown, others still silver. That is from when it let loose.
These pics you're talking about, are they from the last time you drove it (before this last repair) or what they looked like after the dyno session and tear down?

Did the shop pull the crank and do anything to it? Or just stick another set of bearings in?

I haven't used this but others here have to resize pics for posting.

http://jpeg-optimizer.com/

Good luck and keep us updated

Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Senior Chief

Default UPDATE

The motor was put on the dyno again, with a different carb and different distributor, ran thru 10 gallons of gas. After this, bearings checked and looked evenly polished and normal. Motor will go back in car this week, and will have new 8528 ready to run MSD distributor and a Holley. At this point all will be replaced except block itself, which was checked out independently. BTW got my pics cropped of bearings from when motor had let loose back in June. However the uploading of pics continues to fail. Oh well, Wish me luck!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post the pics on a Photobucket account, and they automatically resize for posting. If I can do it, most anyone ought to be able to do it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Photos- Cropping pics wont work. All you have to do is resize them in microsoft paint. Open the pic in paint, resize to 25% and save. That will reduce the file size small enough to load here.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
These pics you're talking about, are they from the last time you drove it (before this last repair) or what they looked like after the dyno session and tear down?

Did the shop pull the crank and do anything to it? Or just stick another set of bearings in?

I haven't used this but others here have to resize pics for posting.

http://jpeg-optimizer.com/

Good luck and keep us updated
Thanks but i use the one to resize pics for posting: https://jpegcompress.com

Old 07-07-2022, 06:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you check your torque wrench. It could be off.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twister View Post
Did you check your torque wrench. It could be off.
this is a 6+ year old thread that got bumped up by a spammer...

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: