THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We should combine this with the Kelly Ripa thread. Pretty sad times at PY when this gets over 2000 views in a few days. Liked some of his music OK, but he wasn't a positive influence on how people should live their lives. He was a talented junkie. Move on.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Kelly ripped a what?

Agreed - way, way too much butt hurt...and

This just in - Dr Bob Dillion's prognosis proves correct and corroborated by Autopsy and MSM -

Drugs detected...shocker!!! Who knew?

Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The story I've heard is that he was in chronic pain - needed at least one of his hips replaced, maybe both.

People who want to put him down should try living like that for awhile and see how well they tolerate constant pain. And then they should realize that everyone's different and people react differently to different situations, different drugs, etc. That's why some people get addicted to stuff and some don't, why some people have side effects from some drugs and some don't, etc.

Why be so judgemental? It's not like he was some kind of child predator or something. By all accounts he was a well liked and respected member of his community. If he got hooked on pain pills because of living in constant pain, then all I can say is "there but for the grace of God go I."

Old 04-29-2016, 12:19 AM
Suspended

Focus here => http://zoomquilt.org/ <= enjoy the trip!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Picked this up last night:

Prince "Purple Rain" tribute.

Gotta head to the range and see how it runs. Then I'll know what it sounds like when doves cry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_191034.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	427669  

Old 06-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Red face I'll be darned...

Prince died of opioid overdose, Medical Examiner's Office reveals

www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/06/02/prince-died-opioid-overdose-medical-examiners-office-reveals.html

Prince died of an accidental overdose after he self-administered the powerful painkiller fentanyl, the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office reported on Thursday.

The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.
He was wearing a black shirt, black hat and black pants when he was discovered in the elevator of his home Paisley Park estate in Chanhassen, Minn. Deputies and medical personnel found the music icon unresponsive when they arrived at his home, and they performed CPR but it was unsuccessful.
Following his death, many of those closest to the music icon denied he used drugs.
A former assistant to the star, Mariah Brown, told the Associated Press Prince didn't even drink. She said during the two years she worked for him she never saw him take any pills, nor did she get any on his behalf.
However, since the singer's death, details have emerged about medical treatment he was receiving.
In the weeks before Prince's death, the musician met twice with Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg, a 46-year-old family care physician who worked at a Minnetonka clinic a few miles from Prince's Paisley Park studio and home, according to search warrant documents. The warrant documents say Schulenberg prescribed Prince medications in recent weeks, but what they were and whether Prince took them is unknown.
An addiction treatment doctor, Howard Kornfeld, has also stated he was in touch with Prince's representative the day before Prince died.
Prince's death was less than a week after his plane made an emergency stop in Moline, Illinois, for medical treatment as he was returning from an Atlanta concert. The Associated Press and other media reported, based on anonymous sources, that Prince was found unconscious on the plane, and first responders gave him a shot of Narcan, an antidote used in suspected opioid overdoses.
Two weeks before he died, Prince canceled concerts in Atlanta, saying he wasn't feeling well. He played a pair of makeup shows April 14 in that city, and then came the emergency landing in Moline. He was scheduled to perform two shows in St. Louis but canceled them shortly before his death.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, Fentanyl is powerful stuff. My son works at a company that makes it. When he was on the production floor, he had to wear 2 Tyvex suits just in case one ripped. They also had a Medical person on the floor too in case of a failure and some got released.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
We should combine this with the Kelly Ripa thread. Pretty sad times at PY when this gets over 2000 views in a few days. Liked some of his music OK, but he wasn't a positive influence on how people should live their lives. He was a talented junkie. Move on.
Why don't you move on Idiot ?

Prince had talent & contributed most of his life

Towards the end he had to deal with pain caused by years of public performance

He chose poorly

He was not an addict

You Idiot ...

Jim

Old 06-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a chronic pain sufferer, I've always been EXTREMELY cognizant of the dangers associated with opioide pain killers. Thank God I no longer have to use them since my SCS was implanted. Fentanyl is a one way street: once on it, you do NOT come off. It's incredibly addictive. WHY any doctor would put ANYONE on that garbage except as a last resort eludes me.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a chronic pain sufferer also, I have tried the fentanyl patches and suckers. I'm not aware if it's available in other forms or not. The patches were aggravating and didn't seem to help much, but the suckers gave me the absolute most relief ever. That being said, I had to make sure I was at home and not going back out when I used one. They will put you out. I could also see where it would be very easy to get addicted to these and use too many in a short time and overdose.

Evidentally the misuse of the suckers got so bad that the FDA restricted the use of them to cancer patients only and my doctor could no longer prescribe me any. Sometimes I miss having one to use at night when my pain is severe, but the oxycotin will usually eventually take care of the pain.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-02-2016, 11:41 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
As a chronic pain sufferer also, I have tried the fentanyl patches and suckers. I'm not aware if it's available in other forms or not.
Fentanyl was first used for induction of anesthesia and was available for injectable use only. Also known as Innovar. Some minor surgery could be performed while the patient was under the sedative effect alone. We used a similar drug, Nisentil, in VN for dressing changes on burn patients. I've only heard of the lollipops and patches recently.

It's a heavy-duty, dangerous drug that really should only be used under a physician's supervision in a hospital, with resuscitation equipment readily available. Like all opiods and opiates, it causes respiratory depression that lasts long after the seeming effect of the drug has passed. Not to know this and dose yourself again because you feel "straight" (or pain again) is often, as we see here, fatal.

This is why it's so dangerous. Obviously, the story didn't state in which form he took the drug, but if he self-administered it IV, he took a chance with his life, and lost.

TrulyVintage: I respectfully disagree. He was in fact an addict. There's a thing called "surgery" for bad hips and joints, or spinal problems. To choose to self-administer dangerous drugs for years instead of having these maladies treated and recover leads me to this conclusion.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
As a chronic pain sufferer also, I have tried the fentanyl patches and suckers. I'm not aware if it's available in other forms or not. The patches were aggravating and didn't seem to help much, but the suckers gave me the absolute most relief ever. That being said, I had to make sure I was at home and not going back out when I used one. They will put you out. I could also see where it would be very easy to get addicted to these and use too many in a short time and overdose.

Evidentally the misuse of the suckers got so bad that the FDA restricted the use of them to cancer patients only and my doctor could no longer prescribe me any. Sometimes I miss having one to use at night when my pain is severe, but the oxycotin will usually eventually take care of the pain.
Jerry, after my SCS implant surgery, my doc gave me a choice of painkillers: Dialudid or Oxycotin. Considering I'm allergic to morphine, neither is a good option but I went with Dialaudid since I've had severe reactions to Oxycotin. I will NEVER let anyone give me Dialaudid ever again! Severe nausea , a headache from hell and the inability to sleep made the night after surgery a long one. I watched Fentanyl destroy my late BIL's life. Gordo lost all will to live on that stuff. When the docs at the VA finally took him off of it, he turned to alcohol AND Oxycotin to control his pain: not a good mix...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always have a odd reaction when we hear of someone living well, personally "against drugs", and turns out they fell in the trap of opiate or pseudo opiate-like something addiction. In past lives decades ago been around the back parts of towns and seen / been around stuff. The opiate pharma scrip scene sends a person to the same physical / mental place as shooting smack, same high, same dark world. I know people try to chase away depression, problems, pain mental and physical, there is usually a driver. I always think jeez, if they just smoked a little herb instead might have played out different. Legalize medical pot everywhere and some of the pain sufferers might not go the dragon route. Although I'm sure Prince could have rounded up some pot somehow. But he was led astray by someone degreed and certified to help people in his spirit of being legal maybe.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's big news here in Minneapolis, of course. I heard someone on the radio this morning who had an interesting theory about why he died: a few days beforehand, he was flying back to Minnesota from a concert and they had to make an emergency landing in Illinois, where doctors treated him with another drug that more or less 'cleared out' the fentanyl from his system. As a result, his tolerance for fentanyl would have been lowered greatly, so if he gave himself the usual amount he had been using prior to that it was almost certainly going to be an overdose.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
Why don't you move on Idiot ?

Prince had talent & contributed most of his life

Towards the end he had to deal with pain caused by years of public performance

He chose poorly

He was not an addict

You Idiot ...

Jim
Wow, you called me an idiot twice. My feelings are really hurt...not.

Too bad you're not mature enough to have a thoughtful discussion without resorting to name calling.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Somewhere in the 1990's Big Pharma started producing opioid-based pain killers in massive quantities and it became a high priority policy in the medical industry to treat pain at the same time. Doctors prescribed the stuff at will, patients took the prescribed drugs and got addicted. Non-patients got ahold of it for self-medicating purposes and got addicted. Prescription drugs are expensive, heroin is cheap. Prescription addicts transform into heroin addicts. Voila! Look at the massive drug problem we now have with MILLIONS of opioid\heroin addicts in the USA alone.

And it all started with a little collusion between big pharma and the medical industry...

Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Pontiac View Post
Somewhere in the 1990's Big Pharma started producing opioid-based pain killers in massive quantities and it became a high priority policy in the medical industry to treat pain at the same time. Doctors prescribed the stuff at will, patients took the prescribed drugs and got addicted. Non-patients got ahold of it for self-medicating purposes and got addicted. Prescription drugs are expensive, heroin is cheap. Prescription addicts transform into heroin addicts. Voila! Look at the massive drug problem we now have with MILLIONS of opioid\heroin addicts in the USA alone.

And it all started with a little collusion between big pharma and the medical industry...
I wouldn't call it "collusion". What does the Hippocratic oath say? "Relieve suffering". Doctors were simply (and somewhat ignorantly) complying with their oath to "relieve suffering". Many were told the new opioid pain killers were NOT as addictive as morphine. Now, we know the opposite to be true.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Jerry, after my SCS implant surgery, my doc gave me a choice of painkillers: Dialudid or Oxycotin. Considering I'm allergic to morphine, neither is a good option but I went with Dialaudid since I've had severe reactions to Oxycotin. I will NEVER let anyone give me Dialaudid ever again! Severe nausea , a headache from hell and the inability to sleep made the night after surgery a long one. I watched Fentanyl destroy my late BIL's life. Gordo lost all will to live on that stuff. When the docs at the VA finally took him off of it, he turned to alcohol AND Oxycotin to control his pain: not a good mix...
I have a prescription for a low dosage of Dialudid for break thru pain. My doc gives me a script for only 10 pills, and I get maybe 3 scripts filled per year, that's how rarely I use them. I use them mainly to deal with the phantom pain I get where my toes are missing.

One point I will make. There is a BIG difference between addition and dependence. I am dependent on my opiods to relieve my pain but I'm not addicted to them. If I miss a dose I start hurting like hell and feeling like crap in general, but I don't have withdrawal symptoms. I've been on opiods for almost 20 years and have never taken any other than what were prescribed. That's the problem, a lot of people get prescribed them and then think 1 extra will help that much more and so on.

BTW, I wish you good luck with your SCS. I went through that with my wife. her's did great for about 2 years and then it started to lose it's efficiency until the point she had it removed. Later on she had a morphine pump implanted and it worked great for about 3 years until she went thru the same scenario with it. Now she's back on oral meds.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have a prescription for a low dosage of Dialudid for break thru pain. My doc gives me a script for only 10 pills, and I get maybe 3 scripts filled per year, that's how rarely I use them. I use them mainly to deal with the phantom pain I get where my toes are missing.

One point I will make. There is a BIG difference between addition and dependence. I am dependent on my opiods to relieve my pain but I'm not addicted to them. If I miss a dose I start hurting like hell and feeling like crap in general, but I don't have withdrawal symptoms. I've been on opiods for almost 20 years and have never taken any other than what were prescribed. That's the problem, a lot of people get prescribed them and then think 1 extra will help that much more and so on.

BTW, I wish you good luck with your SCS. I went through that with my wife. her's did great for about 2 years and then it started to lose it's efficiency until the point she had it removed. Later on she had a morphine pump implanted and it worked great for about 3 years until she went thru the same scenario with it. Now she's back on oral meds.
This was Dilaudid via IV, 1 mg every 4 hours: Nasty stuff. Apparently, they don't use Demoral (very effective with zero side effects in my case). Your medication habits were like mine; take the required dose to alleviate the pain and no more. Chronic pain is a terrible thing to live with. One of my SILs became addicted to oxycodone after surgery because she had the mindset that one more pill couldn't hurt. It DID. It killed her. As for the SCS, it's nice to have substancially reduced "foot flop", actually feel my right big toe and not be in constant pain anymore.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anybody that has had a serious injury that has required opiate pain killers for any length of time totally understands how a person can get hooked on them.

There are millions and millions of people in opium dens around the world that have succumbed to the ... hate to say it ... peace ... that it can provide.

I liked the man, not going to second guess him. He did what he did, he paid the price. F anyone that feels the need to belittle the man after his death. It could just have easily been your wife, your child, your friend.