Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
That goes for just about every Carb builder out there, they all have different ways.

That main body looks like it comes from Bo Laws.

... it does ... BLP makes all the parts for my carbs, as they do for many other carb builders, they are bad azz !!! ...

Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
Im so confused - A tunnel ram on a street head ?????????

... I know, right ?? ...

Old 07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
... it does ... BLP makes all the parts for my carbs, as they do for many other carb builders, they are bad azz !!! ...
X2 BLP makes some nice parts for Holleys. (as does David Braswell).

Tom Vaught

So what parts do you actually call your own, Bill, outside of assembling the carbs?

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk View Post
... monster motor bolted to a slim jim...
Hey, any design of automatic transmission could be built for big power. Back in the fifties, driving 92 HP six-cylinder Chevies with PowerGlides, I never-in-my-wildest-dreams could have imagined what today's "PowerGlides" amount to!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill - FWIW. I saw in the other thread that your block is a raised deck IA1. I think you are planning on running a belt drive, it is my understanding (from a very knowledgable source) that the belt drive for your application may be difficult to find if you don't have one already.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post
Bill - FWIW. I saw in the other thread that your block is a raised deck IA1. I think you are planning on running a belt drive, it is my understanding (from a very knowledgable source) that the belt drive for your application may be difficult to find if you don't have one already.
its my understanding that if you take off the idler pulley on the AllPontiac belt drive it then fits the tall deck block. havent talked to them so i dont know how easy they are to get tho

Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Boost Engineer

Different Crank and Camshaft Pulley Teeth Count for the Tall Deck stuff.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"BOP kept the same belt, removed the idler, and reduced the number of teeth count on the pulleys, maybe 10 sets of parts in the world. Probably would be $1600-1700 each to have another 10 sets of parts made. Good luck on making that happen.

Tom Vaught"

so Bill is yor belt drive gonna cost $1600-1700?
whats up with the last sentence tom? did i say i was gonna have these made? i simply stated what i thought was true. thanx for the smart *ss comment

Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Boost Engineer

Not going to cost him anything because Wade doesn't have any of the Tall Deck parts, except for the one for his personal engine. When Wade puts "Call" on his website that means no parts typically on the shelf. If Wade did have some parts made, like I said in my PM to you, it will not be for Norwalk this year so Bill could use them.

Your handle says 535 tall deck. The assumption was that you might be interested in getting a set of parts for your own engine at some point. I was providing you with good info on the parts. No smart ss comment.

The parts normally are over $1000 for the regular deck pieces and were made in larger batches. Maybe 10 sets of parts were originally made for the tall deck stuff originally. So if another 10 sets were made the cost would be higher in small volume.

What part of this do you not understand?

Tom Vaught

Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i dont understand where the "good luck making that happen" comment came from. if thats good info then we apparently see things differently

Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 tall deck View Post
i dont understand where the "good luck making that happen" comment came from. if thats good info then we apparently see things differently
Pontiac Guys historically would like to have some of the items the Chebby and Ford guys have. A Belt Drive being one of them.

So years ago, a guy named Mark H started a company that sold products under the name BOP. They came out with several products for the Pontiac, Olds, and Buick guys, and most people know the story. Mark H being more of the Engineering type guy and Wade being more of the Sales type guy. Both were very good at what they did.

Eventually Mark H moved on to doing Boosted Engine stuff and sold the company to Wade.
So Wade has to run the company, care for his child, work on his castle, etc. Busy guy.
He really is building a castle. Seen the pictures at a PRI show some years ago.

So, in my opinion, unless you Tall Deck Guys do your homework, round up another 10 guys with the cash to have the parts made, and then work a deal with Wade on timing when he can make the parts, it isn't going to happen. That is reality.

Only other alternative is to throw cash at it and buy a set of parts previously made and installed on someone's engine. Why should they give up their extremely rare parts unless you give them a lot of cash. Few Pontiac Guys, except for Little Jack and the KRE Boys have a lot of cash just laying around, it seems, I don't. Langer has cash but he typically is using it to move his project forward each year.

So like I said, Good Luck with finding 10 guys with $1600+ dollars to get Wade to make the parts for you. I have been told the last Belt Drive Stuff for any Pontiac was completed in 2007, so 6 years ago. If I were building the parts I would not charge any less than that.

Giving you Good Info, so if you refuse to believe it, shame on you.

Tom Vaught

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats the big deal about a belt drive? (I may be prejudiced having 30+ years of working on equipment with some form or another of belt drive though.)

Actually the primary obstacle between raised cam tunnel and standard position is belt length if pulleys already exist.

However, a call to Gates or Dayco tech support and they should be able to get you the correct tooth pitch and a length/width strength that gets you where you need to be.

Gates might have pulleys close to what is needed that could be customized to fit. (they do offer custom built pulleys)

Toothed "pulley" ratio is a constant. Crank turns twice to one revolution of the cam.

There are sources for parts that could be adapted if you dont use the existing BOP pieces. As an example Ford 385 series(370-429-460) is but one that uses the same crank snout diameter though any Ford index mark would likely have Fords #1 as the reference(our #2) NBD to re-index. Might require spacing changes though.

A drive "plate" to replace the timing cover is not a very difficult piece to fab nor would it be terribly difficult to adapt a cam/crank toothed pulleys from another application to keep the ratio correct.

A tensioner is not much challenge.

If these blocks can fit a std timing cover(I never investigated) it may even be possible to fab a wet belt setup.

With equipment Bill has at his disposal I see no reason he couldnt fab the whole thing except for the belt and I'm certain the cost would be less than you might think if he decided to make a few extras.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Bruce, I am sorry but you do not have a clue what it takes to get a Belt Drive made for a Pontiac Engine, normal deck or tall deck.

The one who knows is Mark H at Luhn Performance and he could really tell the board how things work vs your theories which, from what I have read, has several serious errors in the basic engineering process. Things like proprietary belt and tooth designs, etc.

Tom Vaught

Old 07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom dont be so sure of what I know or dont know when it comes to pulleys and belting. I didnt mention my experience with timing belts that drove extremely high resolution encoders for functions that demanded extreme precision. Think I never had an issue with a worn pulley or stretched belt or defective replacement pieces? Think I never worked with engineering on prototypes of custom equipment and found mistakes? Think I mention Gates custom pulley capabilities out of thin air? Think I never had the opportunity to enlist Gates tech support trying to obtain a part locally because my company was out of stock? Alot of our stuff was custom... but std pieces often could be adapted if need be... When a company with a multi million dollar piece of equipment comes to a halt because you dont have a part needed to get them going you do what it takes to resolve the issue as quickly as possible... If it takes some re-engineering in the field to accomplish that then thats what you do... I've had those opportunities, I've had those customers breathin over my shoulder and I've come through for them... If you dont know how something works you better be a fast learner with the ability to be self taught. Fix the customer, fix the equipment, and deal with the corporate nonsense when your done.

What is proprietary in obtaining a longer belt?

Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ohhh Bazinga

Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Getting the proprietary owner to tell you which length. That's pretty much it. I don't need a license to be a plumber to plumb my own bathroom. I just need to know the building codes and which fittings/materials to use.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Bruce, I am sorry but you do not have a clue what it takes to get a Belt Drive made for a Pontiac Engine, normal deck or tall deck.

The one who knows is Mark H at Luhn Performance and he could really tell the board how things work vs your theories which, from what I have read, has several serious errors in the basic engineering process. Things like proprietary belt and tooth designs, etc.

Tom Vaught

... well, whether Bruce can do that or not, doesn't matter Tom, because Roland designed belt drive systems for the OEM's for years, and I can assure you that he has more than enough skill to design a belt drive, for just about anything, including my big dumb 572 ...

(((please read post below, again Tom)))

"""Originally Posted by JOHN MARCELLA !!!!!!""" View Post
This whole post is why you are on the list. This is just a drop in the bucket / lake of posts like this. Where you list accomplishments of others and imply to your involvement soaking up any available internet credibility all the while, after all these years of " helping people find the way" you have never done anything yourself.!!!!!!
No doubt you have a wealth of knowledge to share but it seems that most of it was obtained verbally or from observing from behind the rope, rather than doing.
Because you have never done anything of your own???

There is no doubt that you have left your "DNA" on every coat tail you can get your hands on.

So next time you want to bash someone "doing". Try actually taking a swing at your own project and see how you, yourself stack up. If not your just an internet racer ......

Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
ohhh Bazinga
X2 Though I would be more inclined to cruder comments about now.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As Bruce said, the cam/crank is ran 2:1, nothing proprietary there.

Fit whatever diameter pulleys you want (at 2:1 ratio) and figure the belt length.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
. When a company with a multi million dollar piece of equipment comes to a halt because you dont have a part needed to get them going you do what it takes to resolve the issue as quickly as possible... If it takes some re-engineering in the field to accomplish that then thats what you do... I've had those opportunities, I've had those customers breathin over my shoulder and I've come through for them... If you dont know how something works you better be a fast learner with the ability to be self taught. Fix the customer, fix the equipment, and deal with the corporate nonsense when your done.

Amen! That's when its the DOers' time to shine and the THINKers need to wait their turn! LOL! You are the most important person in the room, tech or engineer, when you are responsible for bringing equipment back online!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Closed Thread