Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"You also got to remember that they tear down on a schedule as to race event and not a long term deal."

The Keens tore the heads off the car after every other race.

The Keens were having head gasket issues until the dropped the static compression ratio JUST BELOW below the max cylinder pressure point where the failures were occuring. (9.0 CR would lift the heads at over 23 psi of boost with yates heads. 8.75 CR did not have any gasket failures at the same boost). The head bolts were 9/16" in both cases. The Yates heads do NOT have the exhaust ports next to each other. The gaskets were the best MLS parts at the time.

The Keens also watched their Timing more closely and made TINY timing changes. The Keen's had a 4.030" - 4.040" type bore.

This was knowledge learned over 10 years ago.

So one more comment on lifting the heads. I do not think it is just one thing. Marty lifted CAST IRON HEADS. Marty also ran lots of boost to make power with low flow ports. Marty ran less boost with better flowing heads.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A tight bore and a long stroke seems to be preferred...for both parties involved.

OK, that was off-topic.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Default Oh.............boy!

GTO George

Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Default Pro Mod Racing

So it might be possible to build a Pontiac engine to race in Pro Mod with the pieces we already have with just a few changes. May not set the world on fire in Pro Mod but one step at a time.

GTO George

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anything is possible with enough time and $$$$$

Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

E-head sections, as promised. The first picture is the dividing wall between #4 and #6 exhaust ports.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0520.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	155318   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0521.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	155319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0522.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	155320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0523.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	155321  

Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the Pics

Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

priceless pix!!!

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bolts/studs grow with heat.All metal does. The center studs are surrounded by heat and that bolt grows more than the rest. Thats where it blows.
The head we need is a head with RAV exhaust to keep it some Pontiac and the new Tiger 500cfm port. Maybe a solid head so extra bolts could be put where you can.
And put it on KREs billet block.
The Warp head will be king in the end I think.If they can get extra head bolts in it.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
So it might be possible to build a Pontiac engine to race in Pro Mod with the pieces we already have with just a few changes. May not set the world on fire in Pro Mod but one step at a time.

GTO George
I guess it would be possible. I would want to spend some time on a spintron with a set of Warp 6's before I just took it at face value that the valve train was perfect. Don't think you would win any races, but it would be the first step. Who has a competetive car?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Suspended

Default Pro Mod Racing

Scott,
As far as I know the Warp 6 heads are ready to go. They had them on 2 of their cars at Norwalk. Yes, only Bills car made it down the track but I'm thinking it was a tuning thing (remember going were no Pontiac has been before)! There is probably going to be a lot of that this year (more so then before). I sometimes have the same problem...........running carbs on a blower using Alky as a fuel. Although my engine has been great these last 3 years, it's a slow go (don't want to break parts).

GTO George

Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Thats where a Spintron can help alot asfar as valve train strenght and durability. Maybe they have already done that. Its a very useful tool. Just seeing that it looks good on a cad program and testing it on a car................... well, there are better and less costly (carnage wise) ways of doing testing on a product. Ever see a Spintron George? Its pretty cool. Everything else in the motor is a proven part. Its only the valve train That i would question. But then again, they may have that worked out to a tee already.
I know they did alot of testing with the Tigers and found some very valuable info when using the Spintron and had to make changes as a result.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A unique opportunity exists right now for IHRA. Pro Mod has no class sponsor. If a person or company with a deep checkbook would sign up to sponsor the class ($750k, I think) then said person would have the leverage to demand some additional blower overdrive for our favorite 4.62 bore space engine. I know Tom thinks that is hitting from the ladies tee; but you do what you have to do. After a few years of high-dollar development work, the Pontiac gets competitive, the other racers throw a fit, the blower overdrive gets taken away and everyone is back on the same playing field.

Fun to ponder....but I don't have the $$ to get involved.

Eric

Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Default Lets Go Pro Mod Racing!

Eric Quote: "unique opportunity exists right now for IHRA. Pro Mod has no class sponsor. If a person or company with a deep checkbook would sign up to sponsor the class ($750k, I think) then said person would have the leverage to demand some additional blower overdrive for our favorite 4.62 bore space engine. I know Tom thinks that is hitting from the ladies tee; but you do what you have to do. After a few years of high-dollar development work, the Pontiac gets competitive, the other racers throw a fit, the blower overdrive gets taken away and everyone is back on the same playing field."

Ladys Tee? LOL
Almost very class in the Pros have some sort of handy cap! It's just life. Non racers wouldn't understand.

Wish I had the "BIG BUCKS", I have a few ideas. Would love to try.

GTO George

Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Default Testing

Scott,
Spintron.....................interesting, I don't know if KRE has done any testing with that. I looked on their (Spintron) web site.

GTO George

Old 01-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
A unique opportunity exists right now for IHRA. Pro Mod has no class sponsor. If a person or company with a deep checkbook would sign up to sponsor the class ($750k, I think) then said person would have the leverage to demand some additional blower overdrive for our favorite 4.62 bore space engine. I know Tom thinks that is hitting from the ladies tee; but you do what you have to do. After a few years of high-dollar development work, the Pontiac gets competitive, the other racers throw a fit, the blower overdrive gets taken away and everyone is back on the same playing field.

Fun to ponder....but I don't have the $$ to get involved.

Eric

Too bad the Pontiac community is so split. I suppose there could have been the possibility of the "big Dogs" coming together for a cause just like the one you pointed out Eric. I suppose at some point it could happen but I don't think any one vendor or individual in this community could foot such a sponsorship.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Non racers wouldn't understand."

You are correct, except for one thing, You forgot that I have more race experience than you do George. You have raced in one venue Drag racing. I have raced in several. Many people on this board know that, you seem to always conveniently forget that fact.

Interesting that a big time racer like you had to look up what a Spintron was George. Sorry, forgot you were a low buck racer and would not know what the fast teams have used for many years.

McLaren Racing and Ford Research both have Spintrons, Scott.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Default Poor Tom

Tom Quote: "Interesting that a big time racer like you had to look up what a Spintron was George. Sorry, forgot you were a low buck racer and would not know what the fast teams have used for many years."

Heck yea I'm a low buck Drag Racer (key word is Drag Racer) I can't even afford a starter for my engine.............I'm using a hand crank and cranking it over!

More of Toms Quotes: "You are correct, except for one thing, You forgot that I have more race experience than you do George."

I'm not sure that racing your mouth counts. LOL

GTO George

Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Tom Quote: "Interesting that a big time racer like you had to look up what a Spintron was George. Sorry, forgot you were a low buck racer and would not know what the fast teams have used for many years."

Heck yea I'm a low buck Drag Racer (key word is Drag Racer) I can't even afford a starter for my engine.............I'm using a hand crank and cranking it over!"

Well we agree on the Low Buck Drag Racer part George. I think everyone on the board has heard that line at least 500 times now.

As far as using the hand crank, now that is really funny. You would have to climb on a step stool to kick a duck in the a$$, you really expect anyone here to believe that one George?

Quote:

"More of Toms Quotes: "You are correct, except for one thing, You forgot that I have more race experience than you do George."

I'm not sure that racing your mouth counts. LOL"

Then you had better stop posting George.

I thought the discussion was about PRO MOD Racing. Everyone has their opinion about that deal, even me. I said a while back that I was sorry I ripped on you, years ago. I had forgotten about the whole thing for years. You brought it up and I apologized. I have tried to get along with you, George. It did not take long before you were back to your attacks again. So be it.

By the way, did you get your phone call yet?

A guy named Thompson wants to set a Land Speed Record at Bonneville. Danny Thompson, Mickey's son. Needs some help.

Tom Vaught

I got my phone call. PM Bob C if you don't believe me on this.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 01-22-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Suspended

Tom have you sat behind the wheel and raced in all those sanctioning bodies? That's cool.

Last edited by Polar-Pontiac; 01-22-2009 at 11:25 PM.