Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA
Angry Problems w/ the tow truck

Called AAA, had them take the car to the muffler shop for a new exhaust. Got there no problem, I requested the same driver for the return trip but they sent a different driver from a different shop. The car gets back to my shop, and that IDIOT had torqued the hooks SO HARD he bent the holes in the frame where he put the hooks in, which chipped the paint! I point this out to him, he tells me
1) I didn't do that
"Yes you did, it wasn't like that when the car got to the muffler shop"
2) Look at the rest of the car, all those chips and dents.
"I haven't restored the rest of the car, only the engine bay"
3) Why did you call AAA and not a towing company?
"Uh, that's why I have AAA"

So, I filed a claim with AAA, and I'm waiting for an adjuster to come look at it. I called the towing company, and the owner tells me "we don't do towing, only road side assistance."

A$$holes!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
Yup. Sort of, I guess. Depends on your definition of "clone". From an interior and exterior perspective I plan for it to be a complete clone where the only real difference will be the vin tag. Only departure thus far from a '66 is that I'm using '65 pedals, which are very slightly different at the mount, but not visibly. All badges, interior, markings, grab bar, etc will be GTO.

As for under the car and under the hood, that's a different story altogether. Suspension will be from Mark Savistke - adjustable pro-light tubular UCA, tall Howe screw-in NASCAR type rebuildable ball joints, Pro-Touring springs, Bilstein shocks, Currectrac billet lower and billet adjustable upper control arms in the rear, etc. I should be starting to install the suspension the week after next - hopefully frame will be done powdercoating by then. Tranny will be a rebuilt original M20 from a '66 GTO. Engine will be a stroked 462, KRE heads, hydraulic roller cam, forged crank, double roller timing, 4 bolt caps and dual quad intake. Working with Dave Hillard on it - should be mid-upper 500's for hp and tq. Still deciding on what rear end. Leaning toward a Moser bolt in 3:55. Discs up front, drums on the back.

So, I guess it's kind of a clone on steroids. BTW, I continue to pay homage to both Mark for the suspension stuff and Dave Hillard for the motor/tranny. Those are both really good guys that I would have no reservations recommending to anyone. I'm just doing the grunt work based on lots of advice - much of it free (if you don't count the checks I'm writing for lots of parts)

That is going to be one SWEET ride...what color are you painting ext/int?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
That is going to be one SWEET ride...what color are you painting ext/int?
Interior will be black. Exterior I think will be some sort of relatively dark candy or pearl red. I'm still deciding, but I've got time. Plan is to have the entire frame and suspension done by the end of Sept. I'll hopefully get tranny at Norwalk. Engine probably done by end of Oct. Body starts in earnest around Sept/Oct or so. I think hopefully everything will be painted by March. Then wiring, plumbing and interior starts. Last effort will be convertible top.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Called AAA, had them take the car to the muffler shop for a new exhaust. Got there no problem, I requested the same driver for the return trip but they sent a different driver from a different shop. The car gets back to my shop, and that IDIOT had torqued the hooks SO HARD he bent the holes in the frame where he put the hooks in, which chipped the paint! I point this out to him, he tells me
1) I didn't do that
"Yes you did, it wasn't like that when the car got to the muffler shop"
2) Look at the rest of the car, all those chips and dents.
"I haven't restored the rest of the car, only the engine bay"
3) Why did you call AAA and not a towing company?
"Uh, that's why I have AAA"

So, I filed a claim with AAA, and I'm waiting for an adjuster to come look at it. I called the towing company, and the owner tells me "we don't do towing, only road side assistance."

A$$holes!!!!
That stinks. Hopefully it won't be that bad to correct. I'm lucky - I have a car trailer to use so I don't need to rely on anyone else. I'd be ready to kill the guy if it were me.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking STARTED HER UP YESTERDAY!!!

And she sounded great! The starter needs to be shimmed, it's not disengaging so I'll get that sorted out Monday...break in the cam, time it, and I'm GOOD TO GO!!!

Adding the oil...

Bumper back on...

Seeing sunlight...

Old 07-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's pix of the plumbing for the tranny cooler

Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Looks great, don't sweat the small stuff, touch it up and be done with it.
In regards to the starter, use a paper clip, open it up and use one of the ends as a guide, once it can fit in between the gears (snug not loose) you should be good to go.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Nice clean work. You're doing a great job.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks sharp BC... and I bet it sounds good too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys - she sounded GREAT, even with the starter noise! Can't wait to drive her!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Houston, we have a problem...

Started up fine on Monday, a noise developed, the builder thought it was detonation...very erratic and intermittant. When the noise became constant, we shut off the engine...lo and behold this is what we saw...

Spark plug cyl #8

Spark plug cyl #...WTF, does it matter?!?!

Here's the culprit...

No, not the guitar pick...a washer got down into the engine...
That came out of cyl #8, and 3 other cylinders are banged up. Looks like no damage to the cylinder walls, but...after a compression test, cyl #8 is only at 140, the rest are 160 so we started pulling the engine apart and time for a rebuild. SON OF A BITCH!!! Oh well, I did get to drive her down the street - she runs fine, strong, sounds GREAT...give me about another week or two. The rear main seal is leaking, so that will get taken care of, the tranny is leaking so that'll get taken care of...I did take video of the engine running, I'll post that later. She sounded great AFTER we dug that piece of washer out!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 AM

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Man, I'm really sorry to hear about this.
Thanks - not nearly as sad as I was!!! There were four VERY sad individuals walking around the shop on Monday...the two engine builders from next door, my business partner and myself...oh well...trying to stay positive, just a minor setback, right? The engine DID sound great, check it out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bovqoZ-xAIA

I've also got video of running it up to 3500rpm - she sounded GREAT - I'll post that later...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul - did you leave the torque converter hanging on the tranny when you pulled the engine ? Usually it destroys the front seal -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Paul, it was a blessing in disguise, you had all those leaks that would do nothing but damage in the long run, best to take care of it ALL now and have peace of mind later.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Paul - did you leave the torque converter hanging on the tranny when you pulled the engine ? Usually it destroys the front seal -
Why yes Brad, I did...now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVEYANT View Post
Paul, it was a blessing in disguise, you had all those leaks that would do nothing but damage in the long run, best to take care of it ALL now and have peace of mind later.

Actually, it looks like it was just leaking around the rear of the oil pan, the seal looked good - it was dry around the end of the crank. The tranny wasn't leaking, the yo-yo I bought the yoke from didn't seal it cause it's vented or whatever. I swear, the driveline guy starts talking to me telling me this and that - I cut him off and said "ok, so this song is in Cmin, it's a I V IV progression, but the solo modulates up to Dmaj, you can solo using your D pentatonic - do YOU know what I'm talking about? Alright - YOU call the transmission people and YOU figure out what happened..." when I called him back a few hours later he said bring it down, he'll fix it...

The motor's apart, I need four new pistons - two of them are WASTED, I'll post pix tomorrow - and the machine shop next door will shave the heads or whatever in the next day or so. Just a minor setback, that's all...we didn't scratch the engine bay taking the motor out, so that's a GOOD THING, RIGHT??!?!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 PM

Keep you chin up, man. It could have been a LOT worse.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Keep you chin up, man. It could have been a LOT worse.
After all the problems I've had with my Firebird....this is NOTHING more than a speedbump - a small hiccup! I'm good, I'll be up in a week or two...thanks anyway!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The motor's apart, I need four new pistons - two of them are WASTED, I'll post pix tomorrow - and the machine shop next door will shave the heads or whatever in the next day or so. Just a minor setback, that's all...we didn't scratch the engine bay taking the motor out, so that's a GOOD THING, RIGHT??!?!

Although the new pistons will probably be the same dimension check the piston/side wall clearance just to be sure. Don't assume they will be the exact size as the old ones.
These days the piston size is much more consistant, years ago you honed the bores to the final size with the pistons there so you could test fit them. Again, probably won't be an issue, but check it anyway.
Be sure and check the cylinder walls for nicks/scratches, and have the valves checked for straightness just to be safe.

Workin' on this '55 for the Ventura; shooting for the 11s and trying to keep it looking as stock as possible.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.

Last edited by 455Grandville; 10-05-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Although the new pistons will probably be the same dimension check the piston/side wall clearance just to be sure. Don't assume they will be the exact size as the old ones.
These days the piston size is much more consistant, years ago you honed the bores to the final size with the pistons there so you could test fit them. Again, probably won't be an issue, but check it anyway.
Be sure and check the cylinder walls for nicks/scratches, and have the valves checked for straightness just to be safe.

Workin' on this '55 for the Ventura; shooting for the 11s and trying to keep it looking as stock as possible.
Will check the new pistons, thanks for the heads up. The #8 cylinder has a nice scratch, that'll get taken care of and the heads went back next door to check the valves and have those nicks from the washer cleaned up. Need to remove the torque converter, right?

Why don't I just send my stuff to you??? Are you feeling charitable?