Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-22-2017, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=slowbird;5777463]Anything is possible but since Victor had shorter runners and more taper im guessing highly unlikely. But if the same time and money was put in to the BOP then it would be better im sure.[/QUOTE

Ok you are saying your motor liked shorter runners then, which lends to a higher rpm peak?

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 08-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes and the increased taper

Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you both might have the opportunity to find out if the change alters the result.

Arrange a temporary swap.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Yes and the increased taper
What did the victor peak at?

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ
Old 08-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
A friend of mine has a set and his head guy is doing them.Tom
Did he have them sent to his house or a porters shop. They have a long history of getting very offended at certain people getting their high end heads wanting someone else to do extra port work. I know of porters getting heads and doing them. But they dont like it at all.
And have cut people off cold that were in good standing with them, just for wanting their stuff done by top notch head people. Straight up turned their backs on them. Its their head, they should be proud to have the best of the best port them. Its how you learn more, working with other people.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most Porter's prefer not undoing someone else's work. Conversely they don't appreciate someone undoing theirs.

I can also see where KRE would be very reluctant to release a raw casting unless they were very comfortable with who might port it.

I've personally seen work pieces ( and complete sets) of various heads(not just cvs btw) and some not so good a work from folks I thought better of.
Also not necessarily Pontiac heads or people but people that other brand lovers think are good.

In a niche market like ours and possibility of customer blaming product vs their "guy" I'd be selective myself.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Selective ? More like being worried that another shop that did not make the head will do better than the guys who made the head. One company can not be the best at everything. (BES might come close) What do you want to bet All Pontiac would be happy to have their heads done by, Barton, Gabby, Marcella, Robbertson. I know they like some of them for a fact. They like Wilcox for sure. And I am positive others I forgot to mention.
The should be proud of their head and more than happy to have the best give it their best. It only helps them in the long run.
Look, anyone who is anyone knows the big "Pontiac" shops are not the best at head porting. Its the truth.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
What did the victor peak at?

Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Look, anyone who is anyone knows the big "Pontiac" shops are not the best at head porting.
When I sent my E heads off to have a chamber fixed I was offered a 330cfm CNC port job for one heck of a price because "The place that did these actually hurt airflow and I can't take send them back to you without at least offering to fix them."
So basically i paid to have a Pontiac shop screw up the port work AND the machine work on my new block. Was even told that what happened to the block "could never happen".
What's even sadder is that it was only a 300cfm head to begin with.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Sounds like you both might have the opportunity to find out if the change alters the result.

Arrange a temporary swap.
What?

Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
what is the csa at the plenum port openings? I already have the csa at the flange since it was port matched to your heads.

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ
Old 08-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
what is the csa at the plenum port openings? I already have the csa at the flange since it was port matched to your heads.
Sorry not sharing that

Old 08-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
As is was when I got it from you, It was port matched to your heads. But not blended far enough into the runners....bottle necked. If he would have went on up and had a uniform taper it would have probably kicked the mega buc victors butt..
So now that the manifold is "fixed", how much power did you make with it and what was peak rpm?

Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless the runner lengths are the same using the same csa area at each end from one manifold to the other will produce a different tapper (In degrees).

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
So how would you make over 2.4 HP per ci N/A from 428 ci's?

Stan
... RPM and properly sized heads and manifold ...

Old 08-23-2017, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Bruce, I like you and all. But who are you to tell me that. If Mike Leech, who knew what I wanted to build and has accomplished more than ANYONE has with NA E heads says it will choke them, you can take it to the bank it will choke them. I doubt there is a person who will put all that effort into a E head NA build in the future. They will just get a better head. No one is going to build a 1250HP NA single 4 Edelbrock Performer head Pontiac.
Mike did the Victor thing and moved on.
Now I have Gabbys E heads. They are 90% or thereabouts of Mikes heads. Better for me in a way since they are 63ccs vs Mikes 54-53 ccs. John told me Gabby has a nice intake port. Has worked with his heads. Now I have to be careful telling what John says to me. Precisely because people like you try and drag his name into whatever "CV" bullpile is going on that day. Not going to allow it.
But I will tell you this. I get so much intake/head knowledge thrown at me is a short phone call it makes my head spin. I have to sit down afterwords and think about it, take it in. Its very valuable to me to get that kind of info that just rolls out of his mouth like you and I talk about the weather.
The intake is going to rock, you can take that to the bank. I mean, and this is your quote. Who do you think I am dealing with ? "ESPECIALLY ported by someone truly knowledgeable". They know that its going to have a .800+ lift 55mm SBrown cam, 408cfm E heads with all the best ti valves, 11.5-11.75 CR , big 1250+cfm Dale Cubic Dominator on top a big bad Tiger intake. What do you think its going to make Bruce ? I will not hold back on the cam or whatever spacers the intake needs. Scoop will be built around it. You think for one second myself, John and Scott will not make sure all the parts work together ?
Quote:
Why, so you can make them your "next victims" ?
Quote:
Bruce, you want align yourself with certain people/products, you get what you get. Sure, I like Pontiac engine and heads. Its sort of like the underdog mentality. Knife to gun fight. People who like Pontiac either like them for their looks. Because they were almost always the best looking cars of the era. All the comparable Pontiacs year for year, model for model out classed the chevys in the looks department. Then you have the guys who like Pontiacs but will shove a chevy under the hood. I have a problem with that. But sometimes I get it.
Or they love the whole car, especially the engine and would NEVER even consider putting another make in their car. I like them people. Use their brains to beat the BBCs into submission at their own game. We have come a long way. Close, maybe not their yet, maybe never will be. But fighting the fight is part of the whole thing. If you are like me you love that 70s poster of the Rat that is giving the Eagle the bird as he is swooping down on it with talons out. Think it was called "Last act of Defiance".
So. I was sort of worried that this new Fordish canted intake valve was going to blow my beloved inline Pontiac heads out of the water. They had their chance now, but did not listen. My fears, thankfully have not been realized.
That was my big thing, putting a canted valve head on a Pontiac sort of making it a "mini BBC" in a way. Joining them at their own game. Giving in. But my fears were put to rest. I am ever so grateful for the stubbornness of the people behind that head to not listen to the smart people. At least they were not dumb enough to go ahead with that Ford exhaust. They did have enough sense to listen to your "troublemaker" then or his head would have not even gotten off the ground. DOA. He did try and point them in the right direction. If he was listened to the head would not be in last place. Well maybe just in front of the Super Chiefs, maybe.
They could have had a head better than anything currently out there had they listened to one real expert. Boy am I glad they are stubborn. Have not made more NA power than Tigers,(let alone the CVJuan) High Ports or even the aluminum RAIV head, the Edelbrock RPM. If you are gong to give in and lay that intake valve over it had better beat the inline Pontiac heads with 4 bolt Pontiac valve covers.
They had their chance.
And Bruce, I start threads because I either want to learn something and while I am learning others can learn right along with me. Or hypothetical questions.
I like to talk Pontiacs, its why we are all here. I dont like the Cv or Twin shoved in my face. You are who your friends are.
Go over to PZ if you want to talk, come on, I dare you.
I love this site. But I do not like having to "post on eggshells". You want to hear what I really think, come on over.
... CV Bull Pile ??? ... from what i've read here you're the only one posting that sort of thing ... and when Bruce mentions the CV-1's or me for that matter, it does not read like he's throwing it in your face, he's simply doing the same thing you have done many times, commenting on his preferences to heads and head porters, what's wrong with that ?? ...
... i almost never post here and yet here you are still talking like you're at war with me or the CV-1 heads, where is your anger coming from ?? ...
... you are taking things way out of context with some of your comments actually, and daring Bruce to go to PZ to have any kind of debate is simply retarded, everyone here seems to know that except you, why ?? ...
... i also see you've referenced your cylinder head ranking list again, which is wonderful by the way ...
... i've also noticed that you are very much on the side of Mike Leech, deserved obviously, but the reason i bring this up is because you've stated his word is gold basically and what he's told you can be taken to the bank, so i think you would be surprised to know just what Mike and myself had discussed many times just prior to his previous Norwalk appearance ?? Many things actually of interest, starting with his thoughts on my CV-370 (CV-1 Top End) going on his 565-572c.i. E-Head engine, and yes he believed it would make more power, and another interesting part of our discussions was him running my 572 CV-1 engine in his car, which according to Mike i missed my window by about 6-7 months, had he not be well into the next combo he was working on Mike said he would certainly be interested in running that engine ... So maybe you can add that to your Mike Leech deposit the next trip to the bank ...

Last edited by Anderson Port Development; 08-23-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You want to get into it Twin, start your own thread, or get your guy Bruce to do it for you. Stans thread, even though we do not always see eye to eye deserves better. Just be prepared to answer questions honestly.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You want to get into it Twin, start your own thread, or get your guy Bruce to do it for you. Stans thread, even though we do not always see eye to eye deserves better. Just be prepared to answer questions honestly.

... fire away genius ...

Old 08-24-2017, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
So now that the manifold is "fixed", how much power did you make with it and what was peak rpm?
I didn't say it was "fixed". It is still like I bought it from slowbird.
My point is making a comparison between a 1 hr port matched/bottlenecked raw casting and a bells and whistles intake is more than a stretch and not fair to the maker of the bop. By the way is a dedicated Pontiac enthusiast.

Someone reading this stuff, New to the hobby could be swayed not to purchase a product because of this faulty info.

It's the same bs the cv head people have had to put up with, although on a far less scale.

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ
Old 08-24-2017, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sorry not sharing that
Lol, bet u don't know.

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ