Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I think the drag racing, at least for the local type, is mainly the camaraderie with the other racers and families.

When we race, it's not just my family, we watch everyone, helping anyone that needs it.

About like having a picnic in between runs.
A social event.

The whole family is involved, at least where I have raced.
(wife races, the kids race, brother races, etc)

That's how my Nostalgia group rolls. Great group of guys to hang out and race with.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I described it a couple weeks ago up at Musclepalooza as a group of friends, hanging out eating & drinking, telling stories, occasionally interrupted by runs down the track.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
My thoughts about the popularity of drag racing:

1) Accessibility - anybody can go to their local strip with the family minivan and give it a try. The addiction builds from there. Most other motorsports require that you have some sort of competition vehicle before you can even try it.

2) Drag racing can be really cheap to get started (I'm thinking slower bracket racing that doesn't require a bunch of safety equipment, special fuel, etc).

3) Drag racing is the least likely motorsport to "trade paint" and is therefore more palatable to folks with a nice car.

JMHO,
Eric
Agree, In other forms of racing, road racing for example, you need to get your car and your safety equipment inspected (really inspected, not a hand wave deal) for every race.
You need a license, not just a signed waiver saying you will not sue the track.

You need actual training and track time (practice sessions) before you can race.
Drag Racing, anyone can put on the other guys suit and helmet and get in the car and go down the track, even if they have never made a pass down the track ever. About as close to street racing as you will get. Maybe that is why many like the SO show so much.

Road Racers for the most part are very professional as a group, both in verbal and written communications. Drag racers for the most part seem to feel it is all about them and their drag car, and beer drinking, and hanging with the boys. Norwalk is a bit different as it caters to a family atmosphere for the most part. Clean Bathrooms, showers, camping spots, car shows, etc. Again for the most part, a lot of street talk vs be a PRO and do your own thing. There are some like Joe Zajac and Larry Kauffman who are always very professional and courteous.

Tom V.

The Baja Guys celebrate After the race. The Bonneville Guys work so hard they typically crash each time and rarely party except for a organization dinner.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To get started in Road Racing the best way is to sign up for some track days or HPDE. First few times out they’ll put an instructor in the car with you and classroom sessions are required and provided. A street car is fine, just need a helmet.
You’ll get check rides into the next level, HPDE in NASA goes from 1-4, other sanctions have similar groups, all start with an instructor. (we call these the crack pipe sessions, get’em hooked)

Typically you’ll need about a year to progress into 3 or 4 and qualify for comp school. For that you’ll need a purpose built race car. Comp school is typically a 3 day weekend, mock races, instructors and volunteer racers purposefully trying to rattle you on the track, tight side by side, drafting within inches, dive bomb passes, it can get intense, but it really is a mock race.
Safety equipment is paramount and there is rarely a “just fix it before next time” pass.

You can go to a school like Skip Barber or Bondurant, but they are pricey and you’ll need some previous HPDE time to make the best use of it.

Most new racers start with a Spec car, BMW E, Porsche 944, Miata, Honda, etc… some opt for a Fox body Mustang which are cheap since they’re outdated or 3rd gen F. Rarely does anyone start with a big dog like a Super Unlimited or older stock car, COT’s are popular since they’re relatively cheap for a well built car.
Older Z06 Corvettes are extremely popular.

Vintage racing is a whole other genre. There is no HPDE for them, you’ll need a full license and experience with some sanction even before approaching them, then you’ll need a period correct race car of some sort. Safety is a tad looser but not much, and getting tighter every season.
SFI 2010-2015 helmet, Hans, suit, gloves, socks, shoes, balaclava, update belts every few years, fire bottle every 2, certified fuel cell, etc…

Most race weekends are Sat-Sun but some events are Fri-Sun, while a select few are Thur-Sun, with Thursday being an optional practice day.
Entry fees range from $400-$600+ for a weekend. Sanction membership is yearly and varies, $75-$200 and most of us run multiple sanctions.
Medical physicals are required every 2 years, must be signed off by Dr and turned in to Sanction.

A set of R compound tires will run about $1200 and last 2-3 events if you’re lucky and don’t mind losing to someone that can afford stickers for every event, I figure on two sets of tires a season, depends on which tracks you run.
Carbotech brake pads can run into the $300+ range and last a season, sometimes two, at least for me, again, depends on the tracks, rotors 3-4. Castrol Brake fluid is $75 a quart, bleed/flush after every race weekend. 10 qt oil change every 2 events. $750 clutch rebuild every 2 seasons.
Fuel is the biggie, run a V8 on race fuel it’s $10 a gallon and roughly 35 gallons a weekend. Run a 4 cyl or pump gas engine and it helps a lot.
Travel expenses are what they are, most camp in trailers or motorhomes to save some.

Some sanctions are great with the comradery, cookouts, nighttime entertainment, etc… while others are very clique’ish. It’s best if you can sustain a regular group, but difficult to do. 5-8 years is about when the financial and time burnout factor starts. I’m at 10 years now and not a single one of the group I started with is still running.

Overall, for a hobbyist it’s one of the best, and I think purist forms of motor racing, but it’s one of the most challenging in terms of discipline, time and expense.
No money is won, some sanctions don’t even give trophies, hit another car and you’ll be suspended, but get on track and none of that matters, it’s getting by that car in front and keeping that other one behind you while hitting all your marks lap after lap.
Run an hour race and you’ll be jacked up like John Force, yet totally exhausted.

Yeah, it’s fun.

Last edited by ho428; 06-08-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
To get started in Road Racing the best way is to sign up for some track days or HPDE. First few times out they’ll put an instructor in the car with you and classroom sessions are required and provided. A street car is fine, just need a helmet.
You’ll get check rides into the next level, HPDE in NASA goes from 1-4, other sanctions have similar groups, all start with an instructor. (we call these the crack pipe sessions, get’em hooked)

Typically you’ll need about a year to progress into 3 or 4 and qualify for comp school. For that you’ll need a purpose built race car. Comp school is typically a 3 day weekend, mock races, instructors and volunteer racers purposefully trying to rattle you on the track, tight side by side, drafting within inches, dive bomb passes, it can get intense, but it really is a mock race.
Safety equipment is paramount and there is rarely a “just fix it before next time” pass.

You can go to a school like Skip Barber or Bondurant, but they are pricey and you’ll need some previous HPDE time to make the best use of it.

Most new racers start with a Spec car, BMW E, Porsche 944, Miata, Honda, etc… some opt for a Fox body Mustang which are cheap since they’re outdated or 3rd gen F. Rarely does anyone start with a big dog like a Super Unlimited or older stock car, COT’s are popular since they’re relatively cheap for a well built car.
Older Z06 Corvettes are extremely popular.

Vintage racing is a whole other genre. There is no HPDE for them, you’ll need a full license and experience with some sanction even before approaching them, then you’ll need a period correct race car of some sort. Safety is a tad looser but not much, and getting tighter every season.
SFI 2010-2015 helmet, Hans, suit, gloves, socks, shoes, balaclava, update belts every few years, fire bottle every 2, certified fuel cell, etc…

Most race weekends are Sat-Sun but some events are Fri-Sun, while a select few are Thur-Sun, with Thursday being an optional practice day.
Entry fees range from $400-$600+ for a weekend. Sanction membership is yearly and varies, $75-$200 and most of use run multiple sanctions.
Medical physicals are required every 2 years, must be signed off by Dr and turned in to Sanction.

A set of R compound tires will run about $1200 and last 2-3 events if you’re lucky and don’t mind losing to someone that can afford stickers for every event, I figure on two sets of tires a season, depends on which tracks you run.
Carbotech brake pads can run into the $300+ range and last a season, sometimes two, at least for me, again, depends on the tracks, rotors 3-4. Castrol Brake fluid is $75 a quart, bleed/flush after every race weekend. 10 qt oil change every 2 events. $750 clutch rebuild every 2 seasons.
Fuel is the biggie, run a V8 on race fuel it’s $10 a gallon and roughly 35 gallons a weekend. Run a 4 cyl or pump gas engine and it helps a lot.
Travel expenses are what they are, most camp in trailers or motorhomes to save some.

Some sanctions are great with the comradery, cookouts, nighttime entertainment, etc… while others are very clique’ish. It’s best if you can sustain a regular group, but difficult to do. 5-8 years is about when the financial and time burnout factor starts. I’m at 10 years now and not a single one of the group I started with is still running.

Overall, for a hobbyist it’s one of the best, and I think purist forms of motor racing, but it’s one of the most challenging in terms of discipline, time and expense.
No money is won, some sanctions don’t even give trophies, hit another car and you’ll be suspended, but get on track and none of that matters, it’s getting by that car in front and keeping that other one behind you while hitting all your marks lap after lap.
Run an hour race and you’ll be jacked up like John Force, yet totally exhausted.

Yeah, it’s fun.
This is exactly why I stick to the pro-touring type events and I only intend to do 1-2 track days a year. What you do would be my absolute dream. Competitive wheel to wheel vintage racing would be the ultimate for me but if we are being honest a guy could go broke just on wear items if you're actually trying to win. I'm budgeting for 1 set of RE71 Bridgestones a year and some hawk HP+ brake pads. After that its one or two oil changes, set the valves and drive. I also have 0 delusions that i'm going to be competitive, as I simply don't have the money or time to be. For me its all about having good time with friends iv'e made doing this stuff, improving my skillset, thrashing on my childhood dream hotrod, going fast and pretending to be a racecar driver like i'm 7 .

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 06-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
.... Drag racers for the most part seem to feel it is all about them and their drag car, and beer drinking, and hanging with the boys. .....

Tom V.
I won't waste a lot of my time here, Tom, except to say you have no clue. You need to spend more time at drag races if you really believe this BS you wrote.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I won't waste a lot of my time here, Tom, except to say you have no clue. You need to spend more time at drag races if you really believe this BS you wrote.
X2!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to the NMCA event at Atlanta Dragway, to me it looked like a variant of our races at Road Atlanta, groups of guys, families and the single milling about their rigs and cars. You could spot the money guys by the rigs and cars, down to the grassroots racers with tents and open trailers.
The biggest difference was the cars and downtime, everything else was similar.

I didn't stay after dark but I assume after the races most do partake in an adult beverage, but if you want to see some serious drinking go to a NASA-SE event after dark. I actually quit running with them it got so bad, loud parties to the wee hours, hung over drivers on track the next morning.

The Vintage sanctions aren't like that, maybe a few small groups sitting around telling yarns, but for the most parts it's dead after 9-10:00
In general Vintage racers are an older crowd, I won't say mature, just older.

Last edited by ho428; 06-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
I went to the NMCA event at Atlanta Dragway, to me it looked like a variant of our races at Road Atlanta, groups of guys, families and the single milling about their rigs and cars. You could spot the money guys by the rigs and cars, down to the grassroots racers with tents and open trailers.
The biggest difference was the cars and downtime, everything else was similar.

I didn't stay after dark but I assume after the races most do partake in an adult beverage, but if you want to see some serious drinking go to a NASA-SE event after dark. I actually quit running with them it got so bad, loud parties to the wee hours, hung over drivers on track the next morning.

The Vintage sanctions aren't like that, maybe a few small groups sitting around telling yarns, but for the most parts it's dead after 9-10:00
In general Vintage racers are an older crowd, I won't say mature, just older.
Norwalk has its share of Higher $$$ Rigs too but for the most part most people do not pay much attention to that deal. The Butler Tow Rig (Made from a Diesel "Over the road" Truck) can sleep 10 people who are working the event. That is not "Flaunting It" but saving a lot of $$$ on Hotel Bills for the crew and David B.

Drinking is rare on State Land like the Bonneville Salt Flats deal. Inside the Motor homes not an issue.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Stuff like that doesn't happen after hours at the dragstrip......Unless your BADDTA, he chases Paul Blart around. Bad Hombre.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Boost Engineer

A couple of other comments about this thread and other threads:

1) Do not believe there has ever been a rule against copying and pasting a quote or sentence posted by a member in a thread they started.

2) Posting false medical info or any medical info about a person is against federal law (especially if the person has not given permission in writing to do so). Accessories to a federal crime are treated the same as the violator of the crime.
So I would ask again that Members keep their mouth shut and no longer post false info about me.

3) I personally have little use for Norwalk, did not go for 5 years, and only went last year to pick up a part from David Butler. Do not include me or your opinions/comments in your posts and I will not include you in my posts/comments.

4) Copying a Members "I AM S*****" comment, (basically to remind me who I was dealing with) was wrong. Difference is he actually posted that info for the whole board to read. In the other case, false info about me was posted in several posts on the board.
I am requesting that the moderators monitor this federal violation more carefully in the future.

Tom V.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post

Jim
Ditto.......just saying!

GTO George

Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Suspended

AS for teching at a Drag Strip, the quicker you go the more intense the car check is. I need a physical an a EKG just to renew my license. At the track they always check the safety belts, chassis cert, helmet, license and other safety items so there is no WAND of the hand!

GTO George

Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure if this link will work or not since it's a facebook link, but this is my run group. Pretty impressive group of cars.

Morning practice at Sebring, being unfamiliar with Sebring I go out behind everyone for clear track to figure out the line, shift and brake points.

https://www.facebook.com/HSRrace/vid...0550412008067/

Old 06-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Stuff like that doesn't happen after hours at the dragstrip......Unless your BADDTA, he chases Paul Blart around. Bad Hombre.
That made me lmao!! 😂

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 06-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HO428, Great insight share, thanks.

My foray into Autocrossing with the rare 69 SPRINT left me knowing at the time that i coudn't afford the needed tires. Geez and it felt like Vintage racing because the open-wheel cigar cars were there, along with the "MainLine" exotics. A couple T/As (1971 & 1979) were top competitive because they were purpose-built to be STIFF chassis.

So, after a couple autocross attendances/participations, i quickly realized the 1/4 mile advantage was that body panel gaps stay put. Autocross thru road-racing really requires a stiff tube frame, otherwise ya fooling youself with clapping-out a stock A-body or F-body.

So, even the 68 GTO looks long-toothed for 1/4 mile. I'm motivated to part-it-out, to build something nice.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
After which hour ? I recall a pic of your motorhome with empty beer cans spread all around it. Granted it wasn't at THE dragstrip but close. Linders lot.

And you kept me out till 2 AM under a big rainy tent one nite, or did I keep you out ??

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 06-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
After which hour ? I recall a pic of your motorhome with empty beer cans spread all around it. Granted it wasn't at THE dragstrip but close. Linders lot.

And you kept me out till 2 AM under a big rainy tent one nite, or did I keep you out ??
It was way past 2... Remember the deep fried homemade donuts with hot sauce and powdered sugar????

Someone else left all their cans by the Minnie.....

Old 06-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It was way past 2... Remember the deep fried homemade donuts with hot sauce and powdered sugar????

I recall a few rocks mixed in with the donuts after dropping them a couple of times.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis??

Brian

Boobs & bacon