Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-17-2024, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think of Tesla's remote control boat from time to time. Also think about "The Turk". Especially when contemplating the purchase of products with amazing claims and/or demonstrations. Caveat emptor!!!

https://usvmyg.org/history-articles/...ntrolled-boat/

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th...re%20in%201854.

Old 05-17-2024, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine oil is such a funny subject.

Has anyone here driven their car a couple thousand miles, sent in an oil sample with their magic additive and compared that to an oil sample without additives that has the same mileage on it?

I think I'll reserve judgement on any of that stuff until someone here provides a side by side sample comparison so we can all see real results on paper from a chemical lab. Lets see if engine wear is any better one way or the other.

I mean if guys are truly that passionate about what they believe, then it doesn't seem like too much to ask and quite honestly as harsh as you guys get I would have thought one of you would have done this by now just to prove your point lol. Would do the forum some good rather than have these silly discussions that honestly prove nothing.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Engine oil is such a funny subject.

Has anyone here driven their car a couple thousand miles, sent in an oil sample with their magic additive and compared that to an oil sample without additives that has the same mileage on it?

I think I'll reserve judgement on any of that stuff until someone here provides a side by side sample comparison so we can all see real results on paper from a chemical lab. Lets see if engine wear is any better one way or the other.

I mean if guys are truly that passionate about what they believe, then it doesn't seem like too much to ask and quite honestly as harsh as you guys get I would have thought one of you would have done this by now just to prove your point lol. Would do the forum some good rather than have these silly discussions that honestly prove nothing.
Personally I think Pioneer is the best.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car amps, I am a bit of a amateur audiophile. I have a collection of USA made amps PPI, Soundstream, Lanzar, Fosgate, stuff like that.. Even the "good stuff" is made in China now. Kind of sick to see a company like JL Audio selling out, but they did.
You can head the difference in a very robust, overly built old school USA amp.
Speakers, I am partial to German made MB Quart.
Home stuff is Sonic Frontiers, B & K, Paradigm and Marantz.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Along the lines of the thread, what’s preferred preference on anti sludge additives? We run a 3valve 5.4 ford service van. These motors are notorious for sludge buildup and low service life.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 05-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension... I clearly said my experience (and many others) was based on facts & results of using it for a couple decades... yet you have never used it but try to claim its bogus or lucas is pulling a fast one on everyone... LOL!
The common sense part was pertaining to the ridiculous statements implying lucas was out to scam everyone by putting bogus oil, or not oil, in their displays. I dont use it in my cars because the engines are healthy and its not needed... if I had an older car that burned or consumed oil or other things lucas might help with, I would use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought everything you said was factual based on your experience. Now it's common sense. It's uncommon sense BTW. XOXO

Just to show that I'm not closed minded, I will try the fuel additive. Not putting the oil additive in anything I own. Might put some in the neighbors mower! LOL! I'll put some fuel additive in my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD. It has 180k on the clock. Original engine and transmission. Runs like a top. Doesn't smoke or burn any noticeable oil between 5k intervals. Use Valvoline high mileage 5w30.
So lucas is bad but you will use 50w oil & STP or motor honey... LOL!

Quote:

I had a '55 Chevy Sedan Delivery. It had a 235 straight six, three on the tree, and factory 4:10 gears. That thing burned oil almost as fast as gas! I would buy the thickest oil I could find. I think it was straight 50w. Then I would pour in STP or Motor Honey (whichever was cheaper). Ran like a top though!

Old 05-18-2024, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Car amps, I am a bit of a amateur audiophile. I have a collection of USA made amps PPI, Soundstream, Lanzar, Fosgate, stuff like that.. Even the "good stuff" is made in China now. Kind of sick to see a company like JL Audio selling out, but they did.
You can head the difference in a very robust, overly built old school USA amp.
Speakers, I am partial to German made MB Quart.
Home stuff is Sonic Frontiers, B & K, Paradigm and Marantz.
Im also a amateur audiophile since I was like 13 years old, I hate that term so I just consider myself an audio nut, car & home. As much or even more than a Pontiac nut!

back in the late 80's & through the 90's & early 2000s I had a pretty elaborate system in my 78 TA, almost competition level, had lots of PPI amps as well as lanzar, alpine, earthquake, clarion etc. Speakers were alpine, MB Quart or a smaller high end brand called Cliff Designs that were awesome, and lanzar competition 12", had it all on 4 way electronic crossover. Could hear me coming from blocks away, especially with the T tops off! Still have a lot of that gear stored away in boxes, vintage car & home audio prices have exploded in the last 5-10 years.

Home audio Im even more of a nut, have a house full of speakers & amps, I also do mid level audio repairs, just finished fixing a vintage Sansui integrated amp, diagnosed & fixed a dead channel then did a full recap/restoration on it replacing over 50 caps with modern audio grade caps. I use Adcom amps, Onkyo receiver & components running vintage Klipsch speakers including their top of the line Klipschorns or Korner horns as they are usually called, have a couple other higher end brands too for home theater use. For 2 channel music I like vintage Sansui or Marantz.

Last edited by 78w72; 05-18-2024 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
I think STP had a TV commercial where you dip a screwdriver in STP then try to hold on to the tip without it slipping out. Does anyone remember that commercial about 50 or so years ago. I can remember doing just that, I remember STP passed the test and I couldn't hold the screwdriver. I was a believer in STP after that.
Andy Granatelli, then CEO of STP, did those ads on TV (STP: The Racer's Edge).

I used to use "upper lube" in my cars, but have strayed from that practice in recent years, for this reason or that.

In my newer engines, I typically run Mobil 1 (I was always a Valvoline guy, but so it goes). In my 350-or-so-miles-on-the-rebuild '63 389, I've dumped the oil once, and used the Lucas classic oil (full organic). This is my first experience with Lucas, so we'll see.

Back in the day, I ran Valvoline 20/50 in that engine. Probably too heavy, but after the last rebuild (which was apparently just an upper job, from the looks of the lower end coming apart - and all the rings blown...or "shattered," more precisely), the blow-by was palpable, and the 20/50 helped with oil consumption.

Anyway, I do use Marvel Mystery Oil in the tanks of all cars from time to time (I had a sticky injector in my supercharged 4.4L Northstar in my '06 STS-V, and managed to clear it with a couple tanks of fresh gas and Marvel Mystery. Go figure.

Use what works for you. If an additive doesn't do as advertised, don't use it. The market will adjust, the product won't sell well, and it will go away.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-18-2024, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All this audiophile talk is bringing out the sonic nerd in me.

Car wise I was always cheap…either factory or at one point I rocked out with a top self sparkomatic head unit, realistic 8 band whatever EQ amp and clarion speakers.

Home was different story, got the hifi bug in early 2000s. Sunfire, krell, marantz and aerial acoustic speakers. 2 channel SACD of dark side of the moon was quite enjoyable. Got a pair of klipsch kg4s while in college, still have them, and they still sound great.

Old 05-19-2024, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension... I clearly said my experience (and many others) was based on facts & results of using it for a couple decades... yet you have never used it but try to claim its bogus or lucas is pulling a fast one on everyone... LOL!
The common sense part was pertaining to the ridiculous statements implying lucas was out to scam everyone by putting bogus oil, or not oil, in their displays. I dont use it in my cars because the engines are healthy and its not needed... if I had an older car that burned or consumed oil or other things lucas might help with, I would use it.

So lucas is bad but you will use 50w oil & STP or motor honey... LOL!
I read and comprehend just fine. There’s very little, if any, facts presented here. Except that you have good luck running Lucas in your clapped out lawn mower. It burns oil and makes bearing noise as I recall. Sounds like Lucas works well. Did you read any of the threads that I posted about how Lucas oil stabilizer is basically gear oil and garbage? The little gear display proves nothing. It was designed by a brilliant con-man IMO. So keep paying $18 for a bottle of gear oil and dump it in your engine. To me oil is like a cake recipe. All of the ingredients have a purpose. Go dumping something else in and you have no idea how it’s gonna affect the cake. Oil is the same way. Unless you’re a petroleum design engineer, buy a complete oil recipe and leave it alone.

I owned the ‘55 Chevy when I was 19 years old. The engine rings were worn out. I didn’t have the money to rebuild it or replace it. So I was desperate to minimize oil consumption. So I ran the heaviest oil I could find. Thick oil slows consumption. Kind of like putting gear oil in your engine. The difference is., even at 19, I knew it was a stupid thing to do. You, on the other hand, still believe it’s intelligent.

Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what the outcome is, he’ll strut around the board, $h!t all over, and act like he’s winning. LOL!

Old 05-19-2024, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PIONEERTTFMF's!

Or Blaupunkt or ......

Old 05-19-2024, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I read and comprehend just fine. There’s very little, if any, facts presented here. Except that you have good luck running Lucas in your clapped out lawn mower. It burns oil and makes bearing noise as I recall. Sounds like Lucas works well. Did you read any of the threads that I posted about how Lucas oil stabilizer is basically gear oil and garbage? The little gear display proves nothing. It was designed by a brilliant con-man IMO. So keep paying $18 for a bottle of gear oil and dump it in your engine. To me oil is like a cake recipe. All of the ingredients have a purpose. Go dumping something else in and you have no idea how it’s gonna affect the cake. Oil is the same way. Unless you’re a petroleum design engineer, buy a complete oil recipe and leave it alone.

I owned the ‘55 Chevy when I was 19 years old. The engine rings were worn out. I didn’t have the money to rebuild it or replace it. So I was desperate to minimize oil consumption. So I ran the heaviest oil I could find. Thick oil slows consumption. Kind of like putting gear oil in your engine. The difference is., even at 19, I knew it was a stupid thing to do. You, on the other hand, still believe it’s intelligent.

Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what the outcome is, he’ll strut around the board, $h!t all over, and act like he’s winning. LOL!
LOL! I know you are but what am i...

Old 05-19-2024, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling money pits View Post
All this audiophile talk is bringing out the sonic nerd in me.

Car wise I was always cheap…either factory or at one point I rocked out with a top self sparkomatic head unit, realistic 8 band whatever EQ amp and clarion speakers.

Home was different story, got the hifi bug in early 2000s. Sunfire, krell, marantz and aerial acoustic speakers. 2 channel SACD of dark side of the moon was quite enjoyable. Got a pair of klipsch kg4s while in college, still have them, and they still sound great.
Those KG4s are great little speakers, Ive owned a couple pair, kind of the entry into the vintage Klipsch sound.

A popular thing to do now that they are 30+ years old is to refresh the crossovers with new capacitors, very easy to do & low cost depending on the brand & quality of capacitors. Capacitors fall out of spec after age or abuse and replacing them will bring them back to sounding new or better. I just recently did the crossovers on a set of KG4s for a customer, if you're interested I would be happy to help give some suggestions on how to do it... if you can do basic soldering its very easy to do yourself!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9231.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	633893  

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
LOL! I know you are but what am i...
Touché…

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kidz!

Old 05-19-2024, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's go baby!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OilAdditives.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	633894  

Old 05-19-2024, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Started a thread to post up the stereo stuff if anyone is interested: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=873813

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only station I get is WPMD.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-20-2024, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
Along the lines of the thread, what’s preferred preference on anti sludge additives? We run a 3valve 5.4 ford service van. These motors are notorious for sludge buildup and low service life.
Had a buddy who used to make good coin changing out engines on these back in the day. He said the trick for squeezing extra life out of 'em was changing the oil every 3K miles using full synth oil. May help running a product like Seafoam in the crankcase right before an oil change every 2-3 oil changes.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
Answer is Shaefers oil. They got 1,000,000 + miles out of one of those things and it looked new inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDF1zcaxrNU