Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just want to toss out USAA for vets. I never knew that I was eligible from my time in service in the early seventies. Mine is basic insurance for my 68 as I rebuild. I was insured with Liberty for forty years and usaa came in with a price that saved me a lot of money and on top of that you can pass eligibility to children. Rated as one of best company to deal with , which is the most important part when it come to insurance. I would strongly recommend them to any veteran. All you do is call them and they run your SS number and if you have time and honorable discharge your going to save. I know this thread is more about stated value but I saved a lot of money giving all my plans/ homeowners/ and auto . Doug

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD
Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been with USAA since 1980, and they made me take my classics off their policy about 8 years ago....said they were too old. They still insure my '72 motorcycle and '83 Toyota, but my 4 other classics are now covered by American Collector. Shame, because I have my properties insured by USAA as well, and wanted everything in one basket.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been driving 1st Gen Birds since 79. I had a newer car (2000) but the trans went out and it's hard to justify $2800 for a rebuild. For now I'm back in my 69 T/A. Yeah it's a little scary putting the miles on, but usually people just "thumbs up" or rubberneck and ask what it is at stoplights.I even drove it from Grand Canyon to San Jose for a regional show, then all the way down Pacific Coast highway to L.A. and back to Grand Canyon. Miles of smiles.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Been with USAA since 1980, and they made me take my classics off their policy about 8 years ago....said they were too old.
They won't "make" you take them off, but they just won't do anything but liability or absolute lowest full coverage (no "agreed upon" value). They have been pretty good with me about not forcing me to use someone else, but I think I'm going to start because my '72 has too much work on it and the '73 & '67 are going to be downright impossible to replace.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
No mileage limit but one 'use' restriction as far as what they told me....You can't use it as your daily commuter. That's why I asked about what insurance everyone was using since the thread is focused on 'Daily Drivers'. To me, that means driving it to work every day.
The only other requirement that Hagerty mentioned was that it be kept in a garage.
Sorry O.P. I did not mean to hijack the thread!
I'm good.....It seems relevant to me.

I don't work but as I've stated the only car I own is my Luxury LeMans. I just carry liability with add-ons for getting hit by an uninsured idiot..... I use Allstate.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
I just carry liability with add-ons for getting hit by an uninsured idiot.....
Problem is with liability only if your car gets wrecked you're on your own. And it getting totaled doesn't necessarily need to require another driver!

My only roadworthy car at the time was my '72 Lemans as well and it became a mad scramble to get something else to replace it.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^ This is the whole reason I brought up the insurance question in regard to daily drivers. I don't know where your basic, non-collector insurance companies get their values from but if it's from someone like your local DMV, they don't put much value at all on a 50 year old car.
Maybe something like $800 for a '68 GTO? Not sure about that though....

Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Problem is with liability only if your car gets wrecked you're on your own. And it getting totaled doesn't necessarily need to require another driver!

My only roadworthy car at the time was my '72 Lemans as well and it became a mad scramble to get something else to replace it.
I know how insurance works. My car is worth $10000.00 Why would I get insurance that covers it but costs more than it pays out? Some cars are not worth insuring........

Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely in the daily driver camp with my 71 TA. That's what I bought it for. Nothing like that feeling when the car is running sweetly and you know you're in the coolest car on the commute.

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have my son's Bonneville on our regular USAA policy- liability only on his car. No way it's worth paying for comprehensive/collision on a car that we only paid a couple of grand for. Before my son had his license I had it on my Hagerty policy- it only added about $40/year! As an aside- Hagerty will insure classics for teen drivers. They just have the same requirement that they have for everyone else- the teen must have a regular daily driver.

As for the daily driving part- It was about -5* here yesterday. My son's '77 Bonnie started right up for the trip to school at 6:30 am. His car's got about 37,000 miles on it now. It's amazing how well these things work when they haven't been messed with.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

72 cat 4dr here 400 4bbl daily driven

Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
.... It's amazing how well these things work when they haven't been messed with.
Well, they were daily drivers at some point!

Just keep in mind, you can argue the value of a car with the insurance companies, you don't have to accept the 'book' value. Granted, they 'try' to settle with a claim as cheap as possible, but that doesn't mean you have to take it. And I say this from first hand experience.

Save your receipts, take pics every now and then, and it makes it much easier to dispute the value. If you're that concerned about it, maybe even have it professionally appraised, that's very difficult for an insurance co to dispute.

I used to insure with Allstate, had one claim over the years, wasn't my fault, and needed a pair of fenders, core support, hood, and misc trim, as well as paint. Parts weren't available from the 'regular' parts sources, so the insurance co totaled it. I argued the value for about 2 months, they finally accepted, paid me out on the appraised value, and I fixed it for half of that.

I'm with USAA now, war time vet, and they haven't told me I can't insure with them. If that time comes, I will have to figure something out, but that's the first time I've heard that a company will drop if it's too old.

Salt. Undercoating, POR-15, rinse often, and make sure the drains are clear so it doesn't hold water. I go through touchless car washes for that very purpose, to rinse the salt off, since you can't really turn on hoses in the cold weather. I even add drain holes in some areas to help it drain. If it's a driver, you generally aren't as concerned about being an OE resto, so things like this don't matter as much.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like I'm not the only one at work driving something a little rare and tasty as a daily driver...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-24 16.06.55.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	445872  

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod