Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting thread and you have to love looking at the pictures. It's Pontiac race car engine jewelry. I love building engines of this caliber, but there are very few people I know willing and able to pony up the investment to make this kind of power. And you HAVE to have parts of this caliber if you want it to live. Looks like DLC coating on the wrist pins?. The micro-polish on the crank is beautiful. I understand the rod choice to extract the absolute maximum HP vs aluminum. Can't wait to hear about the pistons and rings. Keep the info coming!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes DLC coating on the pins. So we're on the subject of connecting rods let me save some poor bastard the unfortunate experience of assembling an engine putting on an oil pan....only to find the engine will not turn over after the cam is installed due to 4 connecting rods hitting Cam lobes. With the LS firing order you're going to have to clearance connecting rods three, four, seven, and eight. The stuff is that close. It's best to use a zip tie as they are about .050 thick. If it fits your good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	424682  

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.

Last edited by mike leech; 03-27-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as Pistons go. This is another area where I chuckle when I talk to people. Everyone wants to make big power, but they want to have cheap parts that are on a shelf. 1/16 inch ring packs and 3/16 oil rings are just plain gross.

Expect to pay twice as much at least for pistons as you think you are going too. You're not going to use regular parts. You're going to have to try a lot harder than that.

As far as rings go with cool guy stuff will cost you twice as much as you think Pistons are going to cost. Like $1300 as a starting point for the cool guy stuff. But even come in their own individually wrapped packages and in plastic bags inside of those packages.

I am on purpose not supplying a photograph of the top of the piston. We have worked out a dome design specific for my heads. It wouldn't do any one else any good anyway. And the point of this thread To be a little bit detailed but more general. Not just give away a recipe.

My wrist pins weigh about 190 g. They are heavy, but they also need to be. It's part of the deal. And you can get a lot cooler Pistons than what I'm currently running. But there's a budget for everything. Maybe someday I will get billet pistons. For now forged Will do.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	333
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	424683  

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.

Last edited by mike leech; 03-27-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Thanks again Mike.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

QAs camshafts go. You're not going to buy some used cam for $300 that's going to work just as good. You're also not going to get it done with a standard cam journal or standard lifters. It's time to put your big boy pants on. 55 mm roller cams and 904 lifters minimum. Absolute minimum. Expect to pay more to have your lifters rebuilt every season then you think they should cost new. It's just the way it is $1400 or more for Jessel the lifters. And camshaft upwards of $1000. Yes we are running an LS firing order. There's a lot more to camshaft technology than just numbers at .050 or .200. Acceleration rates play a big part in part Life.

And another thing if you want an engine like us to stay running and not beat the lifters out of it you better get over spring pressure. 400 on the seat and over 1100 open psi. Just the way it is. No spring pressure does not break parts. Lack of spring pressure and parts bouncing around uncontrolled breaks parts.

Again we're not giving away our current recipe. But for sure Scottys got a handle on the valvetrain.
We are currently running a new camshaft in this combination. I'm not going to disclose numbers or events other than after deflection I will likely only be lifting the valve .900. We are .940 gross before lash and deflection. So you don't need to be over 1 inch left to make power.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	303
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	424684  

Last edited by mike leech; 03-27-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry if it looks like a ebonics. I'm using talk to text. And it likes to change sentences every once in a while. Anyway Scott gave me a cam card to post.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	306
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	424685  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the oil pan.... I made/ designed one and made it. You can buy them for around a $1000.

Some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	337
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	424686  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One at a time
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	326
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	424687  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	298
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	424688  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	319
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	424689  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	215
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	424690  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	243
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	424691  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	274
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	424693  

Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep up the great work Mike. Dig the thread. Wish I lived closer to see it more myself. Keep it coming.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...out/index.html
86 Grand Prix
535 High Port 8.93 @ 153
65 GTO
433 High Port 12.04 @ 113
Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 PM

Mike, thanks greatly for sharing some of the investment realities of the high quality components that are needed in order to play in the very competitive heads up racing that you do. In addition, the high quality specialized machine work, and very high quality components, along with the correct combination of all the parts, makes for a collective whole, that is flat out one bad %*# PONCHO.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
As far as Pistons go. This is another area where I chuckle when I talk to people. Everyone wants to make big power, but they want to have cheap parts that are on a shelf. 1/16 inch ring packs and 3/16 oil rings are just plain gross.

Expect to pay twice as much at least for pistons as you think you are going too. You're not going to use regular parts. You're going to have to try a lot harder than that.

As far as rings go with cool guy stuff will cost you twice as much as you think Pistons are going to cost. Like $1300 as a starting point for the cool guy stuff. But even come in their own individually wrapped packages and in plastic bags inside of those packages.

I am on purpose not supplying a photograph of the top of the piston. We have worked out a dome design specific for my heads. It wouldn't do any one else any good anyway. And the point of this thread To be a little bit detailed but more general. Not just give away a recipe.

My wrist pins weigh about 190 g. They are heavy, but they also need to be. It's part of the deal. And you can get a lot cooler Pistons than what I'm currently running. But there's a budget for everything. Maybe someday I will get billet pistons. For now forged Will do.
A little confused here -- I have had to run flat top for years and still do some wiggle to stay in the mid 15:1 range --- the current "project" has a dish in it for that 15.2 is the chamber still that big to require a dome ???

Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oil pan looks like a big project. As far as pistons and rings. Looks like a .990 pin? Are you using aluminum buttons to support the oil ring or a steel support? Hard to tell from the pictures, but looks like no gas porting of any type. We don't do that either. We do use a .017 dykes top ring for some additional help with our high cylinder pressure. Looks like the top ring is about .170-.200" down from the piston head? You are right, the pistons don't look particularly exotic from the underside. Look to have good support in the skirt area. I have built 1 engine with billet pistons so far. Very expensive as you mentioned, Don't have any real feedback as to whether they were worth the cost yet. It was a late model Hemi build. Appreciate the posts!

Old 03-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
A little confused here -- I have had to run flat top for years and still do some wiggle to stay in the mid 15:1 range --- the current "project" has a dish in it for that 15.2 is the chamber still that big to require a dome ???
It is very small dome. And large valve releifs

Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Oil pan looks like a big project. As far as pistons and rings. Looks like a .990 pin? Are you using aluminum buttons to support the oil ring or a steel support? Hard to tell from the pictures, but looks like no gas porting of any type. We don't do that either. We do use a .017 dykes top ring for some additional help with our high cylinder pressure. Looks like the top ring is about .170-.200" down from the piston head? You are right, the pistons don't look particularly exotic from the underside. Look to have good support in the skirt area. I have built 1 engine with billet pistons so far. Very expensive as you mentioned, Don't have any real feedback as to whether they were worth the cost yet. It was a late model Hemi build. Appreciate the posts!
I built the pan in about 30ish hrs over 4-5 days.
The ring is there due to the depth of the valve releif. Where the ring land comes close to the valve pocket. We would like it higher. But....

.927 pin.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cool