Old 08-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

I think the tanks are Pontiac only and I have never seen one for sale. They are 26 gallon tanks. Others may be made to function, but I have never heard of anyone making a switch.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's surprising. You'd think that'd be one of the things GM would make one type of for any given generation of body type.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't they do that with many, many parts? So many parts could be the same from year to year, model to model, but got changed regularly. I never understood it either, but that's how they did it. And it would have cut costs!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They did indeed do that with many parts and you'd think a gas tank would be one of them.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
They did indeed do that with many parts and you'd think a gas tank would be one of them.
They didn't standardize the big car lineup until 1971. Before that things varied from one car line to the next.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

I replaced the fuel pump yesterday and put in another new cartridge in the in line filter . I was able to drive it a couple miles without having to tow it back home and the filter is staying pretty clean so far . So I think I'm finally over the hill on filtering out the tank. The last time I had the tank down I put in a couple small shovels full of # 2 crushed stone and tumbled the tank around the yard side to side and end for end that loosened up a whole bunch of garbage and those stones really looked pretty nasty when I dumped them out . If anyone runs across a fuel sending unit for a 70 please PM me . Here again is another situation when I wish I had never scrapped that other 70 Bonne without totally disassembling it . I did take a lot of things off but didn't really realize how hard it is to find parts for these cars . The A bodies are a cake walk compared to the B bodies . I'm really going to enjoy this car though .

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 08-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

X2 on that one. I bought a 70 Bonne 2 door less the 455 and THM400 back in the late 80s, mostly for the bumpers. I took a few other parts, but most of it went to the crusher. Most of my components are pretty good, but replacement parts for 69-70 are very hard to find.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes they are!! I have been lucky in that I had a local junkyard that has a number of '69's and a couple of 70's. Still there are certain parts that are almost impossible to find in good to great condition. But boy do these cars look great. Style, and more than a little performance all on pushrod, analog, carburetor technology.

2 more to go :-)
Old 08-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Really getting frustrated

Had be towed home again yesterday . New one piece 3/8 supply front to back , new 1/4 return line front to back , new fuel injection gas line used for connection points , second new fuel pump , tank has been out several times now as well as sending unit , vent tube is clear , two in line clear fuel filters with changeable cartridges one before fuel pump one before carb both are clear and there is no fuel discoloration . The tank is clean , the fuel pick up is clean with new sock . I can disconnect the supply line by the fuel pump put air in the filler neck and gas streams out the line . I'm going to drop the tank once again pull the sending unit and check it once again for possible pinholes from that point everything is new . It will sit and idle I can drive it up and down my 900 foot driveway and around the front yard as soon as I take it out on the road it QUITS , open the hood and both fuel filters are empty let it sit crank on it and it will again pump fuel but only for a minute or two and quit . It's like it's sucking something into the line and blocking it of but as I previously mentioned I've blown the line both ways flushed the take a dozen times or more now . I'm at wits end with this . I just want to drive it , summer is passing bye way too fast . Thoughts , help , what am I missing ? I know I'm older now and the lights come on slower now but give me a break .

Old 08-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You said the fuel pickup sock is new, right? It sounds like something is blocking the sock. After it sits for a couple minutes the "stuff" could drop off and let fuel pass again. I had that exact thing happen to me years ago, but a new sock cured the problem. Any chance a label or a piece of trash is still floating around in the tank?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It still has the old pick up but put a new sock on it . I have the tank out again , the new sock is plugged full of rust dust . Cleaned that out flushed the tank several time again it's coming out clear but I'll probably end up having to coat the inside or have a bladder put in . It's just frustrating I can't get a gas tank for it . My neighbor is having the same problem with a 73 Grand Am he just bought . It had been parked for years but he's got a new tank coming for that .

Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I assume you have contacted the south western to Texas auto salvagers for a replacement?

Old 08-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no I haven't don't really have any idea who to contact .

Old 08-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

www.dvap.com

Desert Valley Auto Parts, and how about Steve Barschak (spelling)

www.ctautoranch.com

Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is probably a better link for Steve Barcak-
http://www.pontiacheaven.org/

Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Some salvage yards have access to nation wide search engines for specific parts for cars. Not sure I worded that correctly....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally , she's running like she should , got the duals on it Thursday, dropped the tank again over the weekend , spend most of the day Friday working on the quadro-puke . I hate them it almost got a tri power put on it . New points rotor and cap set the dwell and retimed it yesterday. She squats and gets now . Surprised a couple people with it already . I 'm happy now , love driving it . I've only had it out the past couple weeks and to one show and a cruise in , already been asked if it was for sale . Sunday we went to the local soft serve and a young lad came out stopped had a big grim on his face . " I know that car , that was up to BOCES ". I helped weld on the frame " . I asked him how he felt seeing something he worked on out and about . He said it made him feel good . I complimented him on the work that had done and how they had saved me a lot of time and aggravation .

Old 09-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can remember 30 yrs ago driving my 70 bonne. I saw a souped up cutlass so I waved him in into a lot. He right away said you wanna run it. I said yeah but at a roll. He said he liked that better anyway. We pulled on to the 5 lane got up to about 25 and I left him behind me for about a mile. We pulled over he said man what do you have under the hood. I said a stock 455. Air cleaner and all. He said he just put out a bunch of money having his engine built. I think he was a little humbled. Guess I'll go get that 455 out and take it for a ride. Only its in my 72 now.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Suspended

3 duce 64, The Q-Jet is one of the best carbs out there. When you get them tuned in & you have to know what your doing with them they will out perform just about any carb on the market today & yesterday. If the Q-jet is put together correctly you won't find a better carb. Thats why a lot of us still use them, not just because there the stock carb for our cars.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

X2 on the Q-jet!