The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm more old school also. The old shields are cheaper and easier to maintain IMO. I do have an autodarkening shield but very seldomly use it. I use the auto shield only if I'm in confined spaces.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think i have made up my mind on the miller 180, now to decide on an auto darkening helmet.

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:46 PM

Hey Jim,
From one welder to another, stay away from the Miller helmets. I bought one last year and used it for 3 days before it went on Ebay. They are by far the worst helmet I have ever used. The arc sensors on them are poorly placed and they don't pick up the arc well at all. I was constantly having problems with the lens turning off because the sensors were missing the arc. I tried adjusting all the settings and nothing helped. I called our local supplier and they even admitted that they discourage anyone from buying the Miller helmets. The one I had was the top of the helmet. After I sold it, I bought a Speedglas. It works fantastic! However, it offers very little in the way of protection for the head, as it is small. I TIG weld all day so this is not an issue for me, but if a person were MIG or stick welding, you might get your head burned. I also have an Optrel Sattelite at home. It works just as well as the Speedglas, but offers more protection for your head because of it's size.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sheet, now you tell me :-)

I was bored and impatient over the Holiday ( we are away for Christmas ) and purchased via ebay a Miller Performance model auto darkening. Of course with the input from Redta, I'm now regretting my itchy fingers.

In my own defense, I will say that my many searches on the net and over at chevelles.com yielded positive feedback on the Miller helmets, but I do appreciate your personal experience RedTa. I'll post back my experience one way or the other so others can learn from it.

Hard to believe I only posted yesterday about the helmet topic and in just a day, I'm too damn impulsive and go and 'buy it now'. I kind of wanted the joy of having the UPS box waiting for me upon my return. Yes, I'm a child at heart.

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM

The hood that you got might be ok for MIG or stick. The experience I had was all with TIG. I weld aircraft parts of various metals and thickness (aluminum, Stainless, Titanium, Magnesium, etc....anywhere from .015 to .030 thick). Everything was low amp. I was just shocked when I called our supplier (who is a Miller dealer) and was told the helmets are not any good. Hope you have better luck than I did.