Old 01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by post toastie View Post
Heres a couple of pics of the 4 bbl automatic 67 wagon I used to own. It is a Fremont built car gold and gold. It also had a 3:55 gear and ride and handling package.
Mine was originally this exact same color, and even had the same wheels and hubcaps. Mine has the Custom series trim strip, and of course is a '66 instead of a '67, but looked pretty much like this for its earlier years. (Mine also came with the 326/2 speed)

Old 01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
If you look at the quarter panels at the end where they meet the tail lights, they still resemble a 66 Lemans & GTO. Just taller. Ill even bet the bumper is the same.

Bumper is actually a little different, but looks the same. Good observation on them being close though. The difference is in the height. The wagon bumpers are about an inch shorter (the bottom is where the extra height (or depth) comes in. I thought they were the same even having the car. I had a two door bumper laying around (sold it years ago) that I "installed" so I would have a bumper on the car while I sent mine away to get triple chrome plated. (turnaround was about a month and a half, and I wanted a bumper on the car). Anyways, the bumper extended about an inch under the car and my trailer receiver was even pushed up against it. Also is solid behind the license plate due to the gas tank door being on the lh quarter panel.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Senior Chief

goatwgn,

I believe the trim you are speaking of was dropped on the 67's. It appears that Post Toastie's wagon and mine are both Tempest Customs.

Toastie, Do you know where your old wagon went? It would be neat to keep track of it. Hopefully no one GTO'd it! (sorry guys)

Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Heres a couple of pics of the 4 bbl automatic 67 wagon I used to own. It is a Fremont built car gold and gold. It also had a 3:55 gear and ride and handling package.
That's one of the ones I have on file, pictured above as well.

I also remember the HPP "Factory Freak" write up;
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...rmula_455.html

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 03-08-2015 at 08:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Hamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintbird View Post
goatwgn,

I believe the trim you are speaking of was dropped on the 67's. It appears that Post Toastie's wagon and mine are both Tempest Customs.

Toastie, Do you know where your old wagon went? It would be neat to keep track of it. Hopefully no one GTO'd it! (sorry guys)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Als Car 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	348496 The trim I am referring too is on "coke bottle" body line that runs the upper length of the car. I left mine on there when I "GTO'd" it. Glad I did. It keeps some of the original look of the car the way it originally was. As a matter of fact, if I did it over again, I would still have added the GTO hood and grills, but left the Tempest Custom emblems on it and inserted Pontiac lettering into the grill. I did this car over 20 years ago, and it was popular at the time to make them look like GTOs. Same thing with "442 Vista Cruisers, etc. HPP magazine about two years after I had repainted mine and added the GTO trim, did the same thing on a '65 Tempest Custom wagon. They made theirs a 389 tripower and added bucket seats. I kept mine a bench seat, but I installed one out of a '72 Skylark with a center console and headrests, and covered it in a '66 Lemans type pattern. One thing the '67 wagon linup had that they didnt have in '66 (to my knowledge at least )(I may be wrong here), Is the 23539 Tempest Safari trim package. These cars were well equipped, had Lemans level trim, and usually had woodgrain on the sides. Some even had vinyl tops. I wish Pontiac had been allowed to use the longer wheelbase extended "A" wagon Vista Cruiser and Sportwagon roofline. That would have made for an interesting looking car.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, didnt that '68 use the 250 CI? Too bad they didnt use this engine and keep refining it up until the late '70s, early '80s. I wonder if it would have fit into something like a '78-'80 Grand Am? I know it would have gone into mid '70s Lemans and '77-'81 Catalinas

Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SIDE BODY TRIM

Correct in '66 it was Tempest Custom that had the upper side body moldings Vs.
Tempest which did not. '67 as stated it went away.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the confirmation Jeff. I am still learning about the A Bodies.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Jeff, didnt that '68 use the 250 CI? Too bad they didnt use this engine and keep refining it up until the late '70s, early '80s. I wonder if it would have fit into something like a '78-'80 Grand Am? I know it would have gone into mid '70s Lemans and '77-'81 Catalinas
Yes '68 was the introduction of the larger 250;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Hamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Correct in '66 it was Tempest Custom that had the upper side body moldings Vs.
Tempest which did not. '67 as stated it went away.
And although the side sheetmetal was different, the '64 and '65 Custom series had the upper beltline moulding as well. Another tidbit- the windshield in the '66-'67 wagons are the same as the '64-'65 wagons (as well as the 4 doors). The 2 doors and convertibles received a slightly taller windshield in 1966. Like all the old literature Jeff Keep it coming. The only one I had was the one with the red wagon on it.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Red '66 wagon was/is from a large dealership window card.
IIRC I think it was also used on postcard mailer as well.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes '68 was the introduction of the larger 250;
This is such a cool thread. I can't remember that I've ever seen one of these in the flesh.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Appears qtr panels are the same on the 67 as they are on a 66. Not the case as we all know with a 2 door.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Red '66 wagon was/is from a large dealership window card.
IIRC I think it was also used on postcard mailer as well.
The one I have is on a postcard. Picked it up at Carlisle, PA in a box of stuff years ago. A little of topic, I remember there was a movie called "Dead Heat in a Merry Go Round" (I beleive that was the title) made around 1966 that had a white '66 Tempest Custom Wagon with a burgundy interior that was filmed somewhere around LAX. Don't remember much about the movie, but I remember the car in it.

Last edited by goatwgn; 01-06-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Appears qtr panels are the same on the 67 as they are on a 66. Not the case as we all know with a 2 door.
Quarters are the same. The diecast quarter panel extensions that house the tailights are different, but they are interchangable with 4 studs and nuts that come out with a seal around them. I actually have a set of '67 quarter extensions, as well as a spare set of '66 ones. Tailgates are the same for all '64-'67 "A" body wagons, regardless of make. Trim items are all different. I wonder if any of our Canadian members have seen this vintage "Beaumont" wagons lately. Not as much chance of survival of those rare cars up there due to (of course) the salt on the roads.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Very Low Numbers

WOW, I was just looking again at the Production sheet and 47 made is amazing.
So out of that we know of 2.
Holy Crap this wagon is more rare than I thought.

Would love to find a SAFARI

Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Quarters are the same. The diecast quarter panel extensions that house the tailights are different, but they are interchangable with 4 studs and nuts that come out with a seal around them. I actually have a set of '67 quarter extensions, as well as a spare set of '66 ones. Tailgates are the same for all '64-'67 "A" body wagons, regardless of make. Trim items are all different. I wonder if any of our Canadian members have seen this vintage "Beaumont" wagons lately. Not as much chance of survival of those rare cars up there due to (of course) the salt on the roads.
That makes sense.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
WOW, I was just looking again at the Production sheet and 47 made is amazing.
So out of that we know of 2.
Holy Crap this wagon is more rare than I thought.

Would love to find a SAFARI
Id love to know one still exists. We should post in the Lobby asking if anyone has seen one. And maybe even a call to POCI to see if they know of one.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only 8 Safari models with the manual trans and the 230 OHC. The Safari was a very classy looking model IMO. I would like to have one as well.

Last edited by goatwgn; 01-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Production figures of all the "A" body Pontiac wagons is lower than the rest of the "A" body line in most cases. Seems when people wanted a wagon (or needed one) they usually sprung for the "B" body line. Plus the fact that most wagons were used for what they were (Utility vehicles), they got run into the ground and then scrapped. Mine was well used as well, but my stepdad always did proper care and maintenence, and when I bought it from him in the early '80s, I continued to do the required maintainence, etc, on it. Did drive it hard and carry heavy loads with it though. For the last 25 years, though, it has been a sunny day, weekend cruiser.