THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Opinions on affordable luxury sports cars. Wanting to do something different.

Im waiting on a wire transfer to go through, but it looks like I have sold my 1964 Galaxie. I looked around my garage and just kinda felt I had multiple cars that did the same thing. So the Galaxie got put on the market.

Now Im looking at adding something a little different to the stable. I want AC and overdrive for sure. Im such a fair weather drive with my current cars, I would like something a bit more versatile. Which I could add those to a muscle car, but its a PITA so Im kinda looking at buying something newer. Im even leaning.........European. Ill pause for everyone to finish their gasps.

Budget is going to be about 25-32k. I could maybe stretch that to 40 if some things break right, but Im definitely more comfortable at $28k than I am at 38k.

Ive found that there are a shocking number of what are sorta borderline supercars from the 2000-2015 year range that fall in that price range. Cars that cost well over 100k and have just hit bottom. I like the idea that like buying a classic Pontiac, you might have an appreciation over time with these as opposed to me buying a 2017 Challenger and watching it further depreciate.

What I am afraid of is getting into something and not being able to afford to fix it if it breaks. My dad's buddy owns a shop and says that some of the independent warranties actually pay out and arent scams. So I may look into that. Buying used cars is always a gamble but I would like to try and mitigate it.

My leader in the clubhouse is a 1999-2008 Porsche 911. They have the IMS issue but most on the used market have it documented as replaced. And compared to other models I'll list Porsche seems to have a reputation as being reliable. There are more independent shops for them, and while parts are cheap. They arent brutal. Porsche people also tend to keep pretty good service records. There also seem to be more places that do Professional Porsche Inspections than other brands.

2009ish Maseratti Granturismo. Shockingly affordable. Ferrari built engine which is cool. But calls for a $2000 service per year. Even assuming you dont break anything. Do you REALLY need to replace belts every year or is that just Maseratti bilking the idle rich?

Jaguar F type. This would be the newest one I could afford. Ive seen them in my price range as new as 2015.

Early Dodge Viper. I havent looked hard at this yet. The first couple of years seem affordable, but I would probably want a second gen as they had standard AC and airbbags. There seems to be a price jump there that might not be affordable to me.

Porsche Panamera Turbo. I actually really like these and would probably easily be the fastest of the bunch. The problem I have with these if they are only available in the PDK automatic. The Galaxie was my last manual ride. While Im not a 4 speed elitist, I struggle with the idea of being a car guy who doesnt own a single standard shift transmission.

Several Mercedes Benz AMG models. I like the V12 Bi Turbo cars the best, but it doesnt seem they have the best reputation for affordable maintenance or reliability. Also not often found in manual trans.

I had a c6 before, so Im also considering a Z06 C6 or maybe an early C7. CTS-V too would be on the list. I trust the repair costs on these more, but Im kinda looking for something I havent owned before. The other corvette issue I have is I take my dog for rides all the time. Im not sure if she would ride in the hatch area and my GF wouldnt enjoy being told she couldnt come. This is partially why the 911 is a leader. Fold down the back seat and its a perfect dog pad.

Im open to realistic opinions on ownership, driving, maintenance cost of some of the models because I have ZERO real world experience with any of them sans the Corvette. Also open to other considerations.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 12-01-2021 at 03:54 PM.