Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by uforacing View Post
Mine. Sold her in 01.
And I bet yer still kicking yerself. That was one sweet wagon.

That is the one thing I'd like to do to a 66 wagon.... GTOise it. Bucket seats, 4speed console, and all the rest. Even make it a GTO sedan delivery wagon.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=uforacing;4764604]Mine. Sold her in 01. QUOTE]

That profile shot with the body colored Rally IIs is what I always aspired my wagon to look like. I've had that image on my computer for YEARS... That is one of my all time favorite shots....

Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[quote=Teej;4772748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uforacing View Post
Mine. Sold her in 01. QUOTE]

That profile shot with the body colored Rally IIs is what I always aspired my wagon to look like. I've had that image on my computer for YEARS... That is one of my all time favorite shots....
Thank you. I need to re scan the original prints or transfer the negatives to digital. I have quite a few good pic's from when I was done.

Quote:
And I bet yer still kicking yerself.
Yes I am. Out of all the Pontiac's I have owned this was one that after I sold it I cried. The vision started in the late 80's before HPP ever did the GTO wagon. I bought the car with a blown up 326 in 92. It was finished in 95. The Rally II's started without trim rings but needed them. In all I had about $4000 in it when I was done and it was a joy to drive.

The best complements I ever got was from some gals at a car show one time. They all agreed that they hated wagons but they loved mine. Another shot in a different light. The color would change from blue to turquoise depending on the light.

The car went to the east coast. I keep thinking RI.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.

Last edited by uforacing; 11-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love all these wagons they are sooo cool.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Hope this works...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	314363  

Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I must admit...I've been driving my wagon much more than my GTO since getting it a few months ago. It gets more looks too

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
I must admit...I've been driving my wagon much more than my GTO since getting it a few months ago. It gets more looks too
I would be driving the 4 spd as well!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Tempest Custom looked exactly like yours GTO XL on the outside for about 4 years back in the mid 1980's, until I could afford to get it painted. People used to tell me the car looked like a "Hearse" LOL> when I had it black like that. Evidently they couldn't tell the difference between the 1965-1968 Cadillac Superior Hearse/ Ambulance,and the 1966 Mid sized Pontiac. Both had stacked headlights. Anyways, cool picture, and thanks for posting.

Last edited by goatwgn; 02-25-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
My Tempest Custom looked exactly like yours GTO XL on the outside for about 4 years back in the mid 1980's, until I could afford to get it painted. People used to tell me the car looked like a "Hearse" LOL> when I had it black like that. Evidently they couldn't tell the difference between the 1965-1968 Cadillac Superior Hearse/ Ambulance,and the 1966 Mid sized Pontiac. Both had stacked headlights. Anyways, cool picture, and thanks for posting.
Yep, definitely have been called a hearse before!! That's why it's going to be silver. Glad you like.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Attachment 279570 Here is another more recent photo. Two months ago or so.
Looks great in red!!! Contemplated that color on mine...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO XL View Post
Looks great in red!!! Contemplated that color on mine...
Thanks! Red on Red would look nice on yours. But I am biased. White or Black would go well with your interior color as well.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook1 View Post
Tempest wagons are also easier to restore, thanks to the GTO aftermarket following.
Easier to restore? not easier than a LeMans or GTO that for sure. Yes, you can get alot of the parts that they have in common with a GTO. But the parts that are wagon specific thats another story. There is weather stripping available. And there are interior parts available (door cards, headliners) that are "custom" made. But no seat covers, no covers for the rear area, no rubber mat for the rear area and no electrical stuff. I redid a 65 wagon, not to original but close. I had to make some of my own stuff. And there is stuff that seems to always be bad. Stuff that you will never find a decent used one. On the other hand there is some NOS stuff floating around at time that you can get cheap. I got the Die Cast Pontiac piece that goes on the tailgate for $50. But usually the NOS stuff is priced ridiculous and it doesn't sell. On one hand its rare, but on the other hand there are not many people out there that want it or are willing to pay GTO prices for wagon parts. So the parts never sell.

In the end fixing one of these things up has to be a labor of love because the value of even a really nice original one isn't much.

I wish I would of bought a nicer one that didn't need almost everything to get it going down the road. I could enjoy it more that way. So my advise to anyone that wants one, wait till you can find a really nice used one that needs very little. They do pop up every now and then and they go cheap.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
Easier to restore? not easier than a LeMans or GTO that for sure. Yes, you can get alot of the parts that they have in common with a GTO. But the parts that are wagon specific thats another story. There is weather stripping available. And there are interior parts available (door cards, headliners) that are "custom" made. But no seat covers, no covers for the rear area, no rubber mat for the rear area and no electrical stuff. I redid a 65 wagon, not to original but close. I had to make some of my own stuff. And there is stuff that seems to always be bad. Stuff that you will never find a decent used one. On the other hand there is some NOS stuff floating around at time that you can get cheap. I got the Die Cast Pontiac piece that goes on the tailgate for $50. But usually the NOS stuff is priced ridiculous and it doesn't sell. On one hand its rare, but on the other hand there are not many people out there that want it or are willing to pay GTO prices for wagon parts. So the parts never sell.

In the end fixing one of these things up has to be a labor of love because the value of even a really nice original one isn't much.

I wish I would of bought a nicer one that didn't need almost everything to get it going down the road. I could enjoy it more that way. So my advise to anyone that wants one, wait till you can find a really nice used one that needs very little. They do pop up every now and then and they go cheap.
I agree they are a labor of love. Mine never really needed a whole lot (although I eventually replaced a lot of things anyways, because it was my 'daily driver" up until 1987, in which case it became my weekend fun/hot rod car. I also agree for a person wanting one, it is best to find the best example you can. This is true of pretty much any old car IMO. The front end, suspension, drivetrain, electrical and mechanical being shared with the 2 dr models does help doing one of these compared to a lot of other types and brands of station wagons, however. A lot easier than fixing up say a 1971 Buick Estate wagon as an example. The "A" body chassis is a big plus as well. Some El Camino parts interchange as well (tailgate hinges, gas door, gas tank, etc.)

Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They never made a GTO wagon. If they made one wouldn't it be a 2 door like some of the early Chevelle wagons? It would take some real craftsmanship but it could be done. You would have to use the longer doors from a 2 door and maybe the quarter panels from a 2 door.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's in a wagon but it's only a Tempest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5974.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	314766  

Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

I had looked at doing mine as a 2 door wagon. Decided against in the end. I had found a couple of chevelle wagons in the junkyards that were 2 doors and after looking at it I decided a 2 door wagon would be a PIA to drive and use. Harder to fold back seat down, harder to get at back seat and rear cargo area. I use my wagon, I haul stuff in the back, its a daily driver as much as possible in the decent weather. One thing for sure as much as people don't like or want older 4 door cars they are much more user friendly. That's why there are so many 4 doors out there in new cars.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K View Post
They never made a GTO wagon. If they made one wouldn't it be a 2 door like some of the early Chevelle wagons? It would take some real craftsmanship but it could be done. You would have to use the longer doors from a 2 door and maybe the quarter panels from a 2 door.
What are you talking about? Seems to be quite a few GTO wagons on this thread!
On a serious note, i think we all know there were never any legitimate GTO wagons produced, but there were a few Grand Am wagons produced in 73.

Would y'all consider the Monkee mobile a sort-of GTO wagon?

That makes me think of something else, how the hell would you put in a 3rd row seat like the big Pontiac wagons sometimes had? That would be a very cool addition, you could scare even more people in it then!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Red on Red would look nice on yours. But I am biased. White or Black would go well with your interior color as well.
Oh it came in white, but I don't care much for white cars. It's gonna be silver, red, or black, but I'm tired of people calling it a hearse. Right now I like the stealth black look, but I probably like it more than I would if I could afford to paint it! Having a big red wagon would be awesome, and if I ever restore my GTO go kart back to red, it'd look pretty nice in the rear cargo area.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't say that I ever gave the monkee mobile ANY serious consideration at all.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO XL View Post
That makes me think of something else, how the hell would you put in a 3rd row seat like the big Pontiac wagons sometimes had? That would be a very cool addition, you could scare even more people in it then!
I've been on the lookout for a third seat for my Safari. I believe I have the mounts already., not that it came from the factory with a seat, but almost looks like it was prepped to just add one. Missed one by a few months on another forum, didnt have the car yet. Right here in the same state

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC