Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Did you just wake up HIS?...You seem to be trying to catch up on your posts in a lot of threads in a short period of time, videos and everything.....Tom V.
Thought i had something to say.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks HIS. It is a very disceiving 4 cyl. Faster than most think it is LOL. Thanks Rusty

Blown 4cyl's to the front
Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's more to life then drag racing?

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Too bad they don't have a pill for that one, huh George.

Tom V.
But they make an App!!!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can appreciate the work and engineering involved in other forms of Motorsport but drag racing is the only one I love. I don't even like 1000ft nitro cars.
Doing any Motorsport is hard work it's even harder if it's Pontiac based. Kudos to you that push your Pontiacs

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
There's more to life then drag racing?
Yes, there's Bowling. Scratch, Brackets, side pots, and tournements (Local, State, National).
Good traction even when Raining.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
I can appreciate the work and engineering involved in other forms of Motorsport but drag racing is the only one I love. I don't even like 1000ft nitro cars.
Doing any Motorsport is hard work it's even harder if it's Pontiac based. Kudos to you that push your Pontiacs
I appreciate the work that goes into a well built drag car, I just have a hard time getting over the time and expense for the extremely limited seat time. All the downtime, staging lanes and wait times seem like it wouldn't be worth it, but seeing how many do it I have to wonder what all the hub-bub is about. I'm trying to get something to start hitting the local strip from time to time.

Comparing what I'd consider an equal build caliber FGF I can see upfront build costs possibly being higher in a drag car, but operating costs are considerably higher in a Road Race car.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with your drag car assessment. It is unexplainable th eamount of time and money is spent to only spend less time in the driver's seat! But it is fun especially when you do most of it yourself.
Your sport would be of interest if there was something closer to me. Not sure i would choose a poncho for it though. My old boss is in a circuit, where he goes to limerock and a few other road courses in an old busch gran national thunderbird. He loves it and probably has less into it then my car but its a different type of racing. Still racing against a clock though.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Can u two give it a rest!!! It's really getting old!
One thread out of thousands a year, so piss off Brian.
Go read the other 90,000 threads that are out there.

I started my own thread, George FOLLOWED ME to this thread and continues to stir the Chit in this thread and other threads that I post in that he has no knowledge of. If I made a thread on Le Mans Racing and its History with my former company He would follow me there and stir up the chit on that thread too.

George does two things every year starting in June and continuing until Norwalk:
Makes a lot of posts to get his name out there for the Norwalk crowd and starts a chit stirring deal with me. He thinks it puts some life into a dull race section. Some others agree. I play along, as many times George does STUPID things, that give me a lot of ammo to use messing with him. George is NOTHING. George made a mistake on his battery. George made a mistake tightening up his cog belt too tight, (got away with it for years though due to a great crank). No need to repeat the other ones.

Everyone makes mistakes. It is normal stuff if you do something right or wrong or make a bad decision. Ray Cox and others have cracked blocks because they guessed that it would not get as cold as it did and they had water in their blocks/heads. So you post up the info to save others from (hopefully) the same bad decision down the road.

But I forgot, you have never made a mistake or at least posted about it.

So if George wants to continue the Tradition to put his name out there before Norwalk, so be it. He never makes posts to help others so if he did not continue "the tradition" who would know about GTOGEORGE. Had his deal figured out years ago.

I post in a lot of threads, try to give the best info I can. Rarely brag about racing unless I am involved. Baja, Bonneville, Le Mans as I have personal experience with those.

Some post a new best et or mph for their car. Others post a best HP number for a engine they built or had help building.

So I post a thread on "Other Forms of Racing" George has never done any racing (to my reading of his posts) but Drag Racing, so why is he sticking his nose in my thread? TRADITION.

Why do I change my footer and repeat over and over Georges actual thread starter line I AM STUPID ... TRADITION. I could give a chit about George and his drag racing deal otherwise. He obviously does not want info about boosting. He is getting really good at running low 8s as a Bracket Racer.

So stay out of this one, stop complaining (as you are a man and should know better), and let George get his name out there for NORWALK.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can add me to the dirt track racing list, though its been a whole lot of years since I hung up my helmet.

I ran a 72 Lemans and then a 68 GTO on the dirt back in the 80's with a heavily tweaked Pontiac 350. Just about always finished in the money in a class that typically fielded 30+ cars. It was great fun putting those SBC's in their place!

Nobody ever questioned my build though they all wondered how I was able to do it with a Pontiac.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the drag racing, at least for the local type, is mainly the camaraderie with the other racers and families.

When we race, it's not just my family, we watch everyone, helping anyone that needs it.

About like having a picnic in between runs.
A social event.

The whole family is involved, at least where I have raced.
(wife races, the kids race, brother races, etc)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 AM

I do a bit of Autocross and Road course racing.... Here a few pictures from last weekends Optima Street Car Challenge race at the National Corvette Museum and Motorsports park...

Old 06-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned, the upfront cost can be nominal or out of this world for a drag car with so many cost factors to consider along the way. Doing the work yourself is gratifying as well as sometimes the only way anyone can afford to actually build a car! For the money spent compared to actual seat time, its can make you scratch your head why you do it, but drag racing is a terrible illness. Once you get that taste of speed, competition, whatever, its nearly impossible to kick. You might get on the wagon for a little while, taking a year off or two but all of a sudden you fall back off that wagon. I keep it fun for me by being lucky enough to go rounds and get a win from time to time, keeping me coming back and also keeping my car somewhat streatable to a point that I can jump in it and go for a small drive if I feel the need. Both my car and the wife's (especially hers) are built that way.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hell, I almost considered buy/building a "hornet" stock race car a couple of years ago because we have several roundy pounder track so close by. Figured that would end in divorce....

Last edited by Rob B; 06-07-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Quote:
One thread out of thousands a year, so piss off Brian.
Go read the other 90,000 threads that are out there.

I started my own thread, George FOLLOWED ME to this thread and continues to stir the Chit in this thread and other threads that I post in that he has no knowledge of. If I made a thread on Le Mans Racing and its History with my former company He would follow me there and stir up the chit on that thread too.

George does two things every year starting in June and continuing until Norwalk:
Makes a lot of posts to get his name out there for the Norwalk crowd and starts a chit stirring deal with me. He thinks it puts some life into a dull race section. Some others agree. I play along, as many times George does STUPID things, that give me a lot of ammo to use messing with him. George is NOTHING. George made a mistake on his battery. George made a mistake tightening up his cog belt too tight, (got away with it for years though due to a great crank). No need to repeat the other ones.

Everyone makes mistakes. It is normal stuff if you do something right or wrong or make a bad decision. Ray Cox and others have cracked blocks because they guessed that it would not get as cold as it did and they had water in their blocks/heads. So you post up the info to save others from (hopefully) the same bad decision down the road.

But I forgot, you have never made a mistake or at least posted about it.

So if George wants to continue the Tradition to put his name out there before Norwalk, so be it. He never makes posts to help others so if he did not continue "the tradition" who would know about GTOGEORGE. Had his deal figured out years ago.

I post in a lot of threads, try to give the best info I can. Rarely brag about racing unless I am involved. Baja, Bonneville, Le Mans as I have personal experience with those.

Some post a new best et or mph for their car. Others post a best HP number for a engine they built or had help building.

So I post a thread on "Other Forms of Racing" George has never done any racing (to my reading of his posts) but Drag Racing, so why is he sticking his nose in my thread? TRADITION.

Why do I change my footer and repeat over and over Georges actual thread starter line I AM STUPID ... TRADITION. I could give a chit about George and his drag racing deal otherwise. He obviously does not want info about boosting. He is getting really good at running low 8s as a Bracket Racer.

So stay out of this one, stop complaining (as you are a man and should know better), and let George get his name out there for NORWALK.

Tom V.

JUST YOUR thread.......DAMN last time I checked this is America! All I did was AGREE with someone else post (post #3) and YOU tuned YOUR thread into one BIG pile of SH_T!
P.S...........I post ALL year, not just from June to Norwalk.

GTO George

Old 06-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Hell, I almost considered buy/building a "hornet" stock race car a couple of years ago because we have several roundy pounder track so close by. Figured that would end in divorce....
Yeah I ended up having to choose between racing and the wife back then. It was great fun but the dirt track is very tough on cars. The work it took all week getting it fixed and ready for the next race was a deal-breaker... lol

Old 06-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I appreciate the work that goes into a well built drag car, I just have a hard time getting over the time and expense for the extremely limited seat time. All the downtime, staging lanes and wait times seem like it wouldn't be worth it, but seeing how many do it I have to wonder what all the hub-bub is about. I'm trying to get something to start hitting the local strip from time to time.

Comparing what I'd consider an equal build caliber FGF I can see upfront build costs possibly being higher in a drag car, but operating costs are considerably higher in a Road Race car.
My thoughts about the popularity of drag racing:

1) Accessibility - anybody can go to their local strip with the family minivan and give it a try. The addiction builds from there. Most other motorsports require that you have some sort of competition vehicle before you can even try it.

2) Drag racing can be really cheap to get started (I'm thinking slower bracket racing that doesn't require a bunch of safety equipment, special fuel, etc).

3) Drag racing is the least likely motorsport to "trade paint" and is therefore more palatable to folks with a nice car.

JMHO,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 06-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontGuy View Post
Yeah I ended up having to choose between racing and the wife back then. It was great fun but the dirt track is very tough on cars. The work it took all week getting it fixed and ready for the next race was a deal-breaker... lol
My first wife made the mistake of telling me "Either that car goes or I do". My reply was "That's really unfair of you to give me that ultimatum" followed by," I guess you know where the door is". I kept the car and she didn't leave for over 20 some years later. In hindsight I would have been better off if she had kept her word and left after she delivered the ultimatum many years earlier.

You are 100% right about all the work it takes to keep a dirt car ready for each weeks racing, Guys that race 2-3 nights a week have it even worse. I've always likened it to having a full time job without a paycheck in addition to the one that you get a paycheck from. The one you get a paycheck from many time funds the unpaid job/hobby. About 40 hours of work each week on average, and more if you wreck it. My buddy that ran 2 cars had painted on his car "WORKIN FOR THE WEEKEND. Laypeople sitting in the stands have no idea whatsoever the time and money demands a dirt track car place upon the owner/driver.

I cringe when someone finds out I raced/spectate at a speedway and they ask me if there have been any good wrecks lately. If you own and/or have to fix a race car, there are NO GOOD WRECKS!!!!!!!

I had a buddy that ran a Late Model and a Limited Late Model for about 3-4 years, he practically lived in the garage even with friends and family helping out whenever they could. Volunteers and their families quickly learn about how much time a race car gobbles up and most fall by the wayside quickly. Most people I know that own race cars are lucky if they can squeeze out time to mow their own lawns during racing season. See an unmowed yard, look in the backyard or garage and chances are you'll see a race car/hauler on premises.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife never gave me an ultimatum, actually she was quite supportive. I had a good crew weekday nights helping to get the car in shape and she would feed everyone and hand us beers. But it gradually took a toll. Maybe if the race seasons were a lot shorter...

I always gave her my winnings checks to spend however she wanted. Now that she liked!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 78 TA spent many years autocrossing first in stock classes then just using different heads and a different cam bumped us into C Prepared so we threw road race slicks on it. Way better stick then even the autocross compound radials. Then the old NMCA came out with car show and drag racing at the same events so it got converted back to drag race. then picked up a cheap fairly gutted 79 Camaro(getting the IA 500" now) got one of the machine shops 383 SBCdyno mules and autocrossed a few more years in CP.
Even bought parts direct form the Herb Adams Monterrey CA on Cannery Row "show room" when I lived in N CA and autocrossed at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds a lot.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs