Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer
Default Lane Automotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr HEMI View Post
I can't believe nobody's talked Lane Automotive into building
a 1/18 of that 'Bird......They have the mold.
Jim Wangers a few years ago must have had a conversation with them and it must not have turned out well. Lane had introduced the '67 Tin Indian Firebird race car and some soild color ones also. I think they even had a soild black. I remember it was at Norwalk. There was a display of their cars and Jim told me to keep an eye out and see if they come out with the Black Bird. He wanted to make sure they had contracted with me for royalites.

So, I think the thought of having to pay a few pennies per car to GM, Jim Wangers and me scared them off.

I do have a sh-- load of ERTL Geeto tigers and selection of '69 Bobcats and '66 Bobcats. This is because I held some Trade Marks. So I got several die casts of each model plus a royality. I must have ended up with over 250 ERTL die cast. I have them stored away. I have a few from the now defunct Classic Metal Works.

It was more trouble and lawyer fees then it was worth going after frauds.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 07-24-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer View Post
...I'm sure you have some photos of his above the garage "Man Cave" to share.
I love the Penta Star ski light.
Of course I do........

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Harold's man Cave

Quote:
Of course I do........

Now this is a place to get away from everyone. Refridge and all as you walk in and take one of these seats. Then the lower level with the TV wall, bar and pool table.....Not to forget the "theater" room too!

Then there is the entrance way and garage court yard!? Hidden closer to the main door on the left is my '68 GTO Verdoro Green Bobcat convertible. On the left I'm the fifth car in just past the black 442.(now how did that sneek in there?)

Too bad I can't locate all of the other pictures from that day. First at Steve Gordon's then onto Harold's.

Now if I could only figure out how you guys do this big picture stuff. I think it was quite an accomplishment to figure out the "thumbnails". But this takes all night...LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001MA18558919-0002.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	292182  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 07-24-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Gapp and Roush

Oh, here is the Wayne Gapp/Jack Roush Pro-Stock Mustang II with the 351. It set the low ET at 8.88 at 153.06 mph on it's first time out at the 1974 Gatornationals.

As I said they built a Mustang II for Joe Ruggirello with a 505 twin Turbo. It was built to street rules...NO RULES!

May be Tenney can post the the 1976 article on Detroit street racing by Brock Yates. I can't seem to find it with Joe's sister car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07-24-2012 04;09;11PM.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	292183   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-24-2012 04;10;33PM.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	292184   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-24-2012 04;12;08PM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	292187  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 07-24-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Note:
John "Cheater" Politzer and I are planning on go to Norwalk Friday afternoon to visit with Jim Wangers and watch a little racing.

May be we will see a few of you there...Sorry, but we are not going to bring the Black Bird.

But I will be bringing the Black Bird out Dream Cruise week. Tuesday at Duggan's in the afternoon. Than on Saturday August 18th, Dream Cruise day, I'll have it parked with the Royal Pontiac Club some where on Old Woodward in down town Birmingham.

Since I don't bring the car out much any more. Thoughts of selling the car have recently crossed my mind. Maybe I should lie down and think this idea over!?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"Thoughts of selling the car have recently crossed my mind. Maybe I should lie down and think this idea over!?"
You must have a touch of "Heat Stroke"
This thread is an on going story of the who's - who of the good old days !
I check it almost everyday for any new posts. I would miss your great stories of the street racing era.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile Heat Stroke!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
"Thoughts of selling the car have recently crossed my mind. Maybe I should lie down and think this idea over!?"
You must have a touch of "Heat Stroke"
This thread is an on going story of the who's - who of the good old days !
I check it almost everyday for any new posts. I would miss your great stories of the street racing era.
I said I was thinking about selling the car, and all of it's extra parts, not getting a lobotomy. LOL

Oh, so you know how hot it has been here in Detroit? Oh, my. In this high 90's low 100 degree days the car ran cool but the driver has gotten too old for this! LOL

It could be heat stroke....or I've been getting used to my more modern muscle, Z06 with air more. Besides just to go out to Woodward, which is only a 15 minute ride, costs me abotu $50.00 in racing fuel. $7.50 a gallon kind of takes the fun out of using the car. I've only had the Black Bird out a couple of times Memorial Day weekend to clean the garage. It never hit the street.

In the evenings and our Saturday morning gathering's I'll take the '68 GTO Convertible. It gets a little better gas milage and I mix the 110 octane racing fuel with 93 octane no lead.

Boy the heat is really getting to me. Hey, Politzer please pass me that Arnold Palmer.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

This the one, Eric ...?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RuggirelloMustangCarDriver1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	292341   Click image for larger version

Name:	RuggirelloMustangCarDriver2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	292342   Click image for larger version

Name:	RuggirelloMustangCarDriver3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	292343   Click image for larger version

Name:	RuggirelloMustangCarDriver4.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	292344  

Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RuggirelloMustangCarDriver5.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	292346   Click image for larger version

Name:	RuggirelloMustangCarDriver6.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	292347   Click image for larger version

Name:	RuggirelloMustangCarDriver7.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	292348  

Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Joe's Mustang II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenney View Post
This the one, Eric ...?
Tenney,
Thank you. Yes this is the article from 1976. The article is prior to Joe adding the twin turbos to his 505.
This car is currenly under going a complete restoration by its owner in Florida and should be completed soon.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to remind Fred Formen to send me copies from the old "Thunder Am" magazine. They featured Jim Wangers' red '74 T/A and his silver '77 T/A. They did not mention Jim's name, as per his request. Jim hid behind Frankie Ulbrick and Milt Schorneck as owner and builder...again. Jim was consulting and building cars for the big three. The last thing the conservative exexcutives in the ivory towers needed to know is that their adviser was out doing his market research by street racing..LOL

Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is a great poster you must also get by David Synder who takes editoral license and modifies Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac lot. I like the picture because its and great and it features my 1968 Verdoro Green GTO convertible parked on the street in front of the dealership. It is actually a perfect look at how I, and other's, would park our cars on Main Street and walk the lot and see what is going on.

In the back ground David used the cover from "Popular Hot Rodding" with Dave Warren and Milt puting a 428 into Arnie Beswick's friends 1968 GTO. That car was recently restored and sold. They made a change to round port heads in the restoration.
Mid lot is Jim Wangers' 1969 Judge with the hood up. What is funny is that David used pictures of the Judge I took care of for Jim over the last 17 plus years as the subject.

How do I know? Well, Jim Wangers' and I didn't want to ruin the Judge strip and put the Bobcat emblem on the doors on top of the Judge stripe, which is how they had been placed in 1969. Instead I placed the Bobcat emblem on the sail panels behind the rear quarter windows. (just another little secret) You see this Judge in both of Dave Newhardts books. The giant red "Complete Pontiac GTO" andhis green cover Performance and Supercar dealership book. My GTO is in his GTO book and the Black Bird is in the dealership book. Back in 1969 Jim's Judge was the faster GTO and the blue Ram Air IV Bobcat was the chase car.

Bobcats
http://www.davidsnydercarart.com/dsResour/bobcats.jpg

Getting the "Royal" treatment meant you had one of the most feared Pontiacs on the street. It started with a visit to Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac in Royal Oak, Michigan. "Performance Sales Manager" Dick Jesse would go over the list of options you needed-including ram air induction, dual free flowing exhaust and a four speed manual linked to a limit slip rear end.

Chief mechanic Milt Schornack would oversee the installation of these go fast parts. Your new Pontiac would then receive the "Royal Bobcat" decals and you would become a member of the Royal Racing Team.

"Bobcats" is reproduced from an original painting by Automotive Artist David Snyder. Only 500 signed and numbered Limited Edition Prints and 50 signed and numbered Artist Proofs are available. The prints and artist proofs measure 17" x 34" and are printed on high quality acid free stock trimmed to 17" x 36".

Limited Edition $95.00
Artist Proofs $130.00

Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK, who is putting these guys up to this. Yes, I'm trying to clean out my garage but...what the heck!?

I got an offer from Barry Kluczyk, past editor of "Pontiac Enthusiast" magazine who now contributes to "Corvette" magazine is interested in buying my Z06. AND one of my friends just called telling me a friend of his wants a C5 Z06 in yellow and is mine for sale.....Really!?

Hey, I only mentioned the Black Bird....LOL

Old 07-27-2012, 07:09 AM

Anybody up there in Detroit know Ed Salas or Bill & Rita Schultz?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM

From the mid-70's....When we used to race at Norwalk.

This was, without a doubt, the meanest sounding Pontiac I ever heard.

WARPATH......It was one C R I S P Y. K R I T T E R !

Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Anybody up there in Detroit know... Bill & Rita Schultz?
Yes.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yes.

K
Ibid...

Eric

Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Anybody up there in Detroit know Ed Salas or Bill & Rita Schultz?
Haven't met Ed. Cool folks, Bill & Rita.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Any Cars & Coffee type deals up there?

Last edited by Dr HEMI; 07-27-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Saturday Morning Gatherings

Quote:
Any Cars & Coffee type deals up there?

Yes, we have a few dozen....LOL....every night. There are weekly and monthly car gatherings all over the metro Detroit area. Chrysler Museum has a by weekly, bowling alley's, shopping center's etc.

The "Breakfast Club" on Saturday's in Rochester is where many of the Michigan Hot Rod Assc. guys will show up with their Hot Rods. George Delorian, John's brother, and Bob Larevee, Auto Rama and Motorcity Dragway promoter gather. Alot of guys from the auto industry also attend.

From there we have the Steve Pastiener's Auto Zone Book store gathering at 8 - 10AM on Woodward just north of 14 Mile Rd in Birmingham. You will run across, Keith, myself, and many retired and current guys from the auto industry. Hot rods, classics, rat rods, muscle cars, and engineering evaluation cars for the different companies. Keith can tell you more about this. Steve was a GM designer that left and opened his own company. He built the 1953 Corvette Body that goes on the C5's and he has this book store that his son's run. Auto Zone Hobbies has a web site. Try different combinations to find it. Auto Zone hobbies, Pastiener Auto Zone.

Every Sunday there is a big one, approx. 1,000 cars comming and going, at Baker's in Milford near the GM proving grounds. I beleive they have a web site. On may Saturdays they will have different marques. GM F-Body, Mopar, Ford, Car Craft Magazine and so on.

I'm not sure you can get Crus' News on line. But they list all of the weekly cruise spots and car show events.

Then we have a pace called Woodward in the suumer that get action on Friday and Saturday. A lot of guys will park at "Sam's Shell" gas station on Woodward above 13 Mile Rd.

Just too many to list.

I send Tenney pictures of some of the stuff that shows up at Pastieners' almost every weekend.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 07-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.