THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the on-site report Mcronk.
Sounds like its really hustling and bustling out there.
Amazing what some cars will bring at these events
Let the good times roll !

Old 01-08-2023, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are any of these cars restomodded or just nice originals? Seems like these days, unless they are desirable/rare cars, a well done restomod with quality upgrades tend to be bringing better money if done right.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 01-08-2023, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Are any of these cars restomodded or just nice originals? Seems like these days, unless they are desirable/rare cars, a well done restomod with quality upgrades tend to be bringing better money if done right.
It is surprising that for the most part these cars represent unmodified cars. I have seen many GTO restomods and some bring well over six figures. So far the ones listed are not that type of car. In fact I don't believe any of them have LS swaps. There are a couple of Firebird restomods and some other Pontiacs built that way. But it seems for this auction they have focused on more factory type builds for GTOs.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Write-up on the RAIV TA. Interesting that they say only 6 still retain their original drivetrain, I figured that number would be up around 20-21’ish. With a car like this they have probably done some pretty extensive research on the subject.

https://barnfinds.com/1-of-55-1969-p...am-ram-air-iv/

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 01-09-2023, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn’t want to be buying a resto mod. Today w the pier and drivability of Tesla plaids and lucid airs and other cars coming out. Resto kids will not do well IMO.

However I might convert a 69 bird to a Tesla power that would be cool. I’m sure this post will meet opposition but I’d bet that it’s from
People who don’t own a Tesla plaid.
Now an original rare car has a differnt thing going for it so that may hold up like an original painting does time will tell with that too.

I live my Pontiacs rare and otherwise but the power of these new electrics is unbelievable . We are just seeing the tip of the iceberg because most people have never been in a Tesla plaid .
I’m a die hard ICE guy been racing them
Since 87 but it is hard ti argue with these things for drivability power and usefulness.

I think these resto mods will go the way of pro streets in short order.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 01-09-2023, 07:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Write-up on the RAIV TA. Interesting that they say only 6 still retain their original drivetrain, I figured that number would be up around 20-21’ish. With a car like this they have probably done some pretty extensive research on the subject.

https://barnfinds.com/1-of-55-1969-p...am-ram-air-iv/
All I can say is believe nothing you read or hear at an auction without confirming it yourself. Mecum has a legal disclaimer that all information they use is provided by the owner and Mecum has no liability as to the representation of the cars. So basically the owner can say what they want.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcronk View Post
All I can say is believe nothing you read or hear at an auction without confirming it yourself. Mecum has a legal disclaimer that all information they use is provided by the owner and Mecum has no liability as to the representation of the cars. So basically the owner can say what they want.
And most "only x left in existence!" claims are complete, made-up BS.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 01-09-2023, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
I wouldn’t want to be buying a resto mod. Today w the pier and drivability of Tesla plaids and lucid airs and other cars coming out. Resto kids will not do well IMO.

However I might convert a 69 bird to a Tesla power that would be cool. I’m sure this post will meet opposition but I’d bet that it’s from
People who don’t own a Tesla plaid.
Now an original rare car has a differnt thing going for it so that may hold up like an original painting does time will tell with that too.

I live my Pontiacs rare and otherwise but the power of these new electrics is unbelievable . We are just seeing the tip of the iceberg because most people have never been in a Tesla plaid .
I’m a die hard ICE guy been racing them
Since 87 but it is hard ti argue with these things for drivability power and usefulness.

I think these resto mods will go the way of pro streets in short order.
There are already some conversions of classic musclecars to electric power. Hot rodding has always been about self expression and innovation. Some trends come and go and some come back in popularity. IMO a musclecar is more than just speed and looks. It is the sound that is unmistakenable and evokes a visceral reaction. You can have the speed and looks but it is like your favorite recipe without the "secret ingredient" if you don't have that sound.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mcronk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There are already some conversions of classic musclecars to electric power. Hot rodding has always been about self expression and innovation. Some trends come and go and some come back in popularity. IMO a musclecar is more than just speed and looks. It is the sound that is unmistakenable and evokes a visceral reaction. You can have the speed and looks but it is like your favorite recipe without the "secret ingredient" if you don't have that sound.
Correct but until you e experienced the sound of an electric car making 1000+ hp how can you know you won’t like it better? I do. But you and I won’t be the MEW Market buyers of these cars. They will be the scooby doo drivers of today and Tesla drivers buying next .

While I love the sound of my Pontiacs and my hellcat the Tesla draws no unwanted attention it is stealth as stealth gets.
After racing Pontiacs w mufflers in loud open header staging lanes since 1987 the lack for obnoxious noise is welcomed not to mention tracks will no longer close due to noise complaints .

Life evolves and while the classics likely survive I doubt restomods will because they have no heritage no provenance but only time will tell .

Yes I’ve seen many conversions but none are significant in power levels that Ive seen .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 01-09-2023, 11:03 PM

Indeed hot rodding is a very personal thing, proof is there is ALOT of builds out there that I consider absolutely tasteless but who cares since the beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

My point is people shouldnt try to build what is "trendy" in hopes it will increase the value of the car once done and hoping to recoup the investment if you sell...

If you dont want to lose money or just want to break even on a car project, then dont spend like crazy on it, make it a nice driver, something that fills you with joy, love the thing until you dont anymore.

That actually stands for everything in life. Do what makes you happy and dont give a F*** about about what other people think.

I drove numerous Tesla's ,actually its part of my job, I drove the first Fiskers, Lucids, Polestars, Vinfasts, Rivians ,Tesla's from the Lotus bodied ones in 2008 to the latest Plaid, and fastests e-tron GTs

My take on stupid fast electric cars is very personal so take it with a grain of salt.

They are the car equivalent of a vibrating dildo, Sure, you can multiply orgasms , they are extremely effective, battery operated and made of plastic.

The Plaid will give your instant gratification, with its launch controled accelerations , silly fast and useless quater mile times but all completely devoid of sensory stimulation.

All the new sheetmetal electric or not thats coming out now is base its marketing aon crazy Quarter mile times , 0-60 times and who puts the most stupidly sized flat screen TVs stuck in the middle of the IP.

Like a jetski, after goofing doing circles in the middle on the lake on your own and jumping a couple waves to impress your dates, you end up realizing iit is really boring...

I dont care how fast the car is, as longs as its involving to drive, sensory overloading me and making me smile when I look at it...

But again thats just my take, and you guys really shouldnt give a F*** about that and put that Electric Motor in a GTO if that tickles your fancy!

Peter

Last edited by besserspat; 01-10-2023 at 12:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to besserspat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fantastic analogy

Old 01-10-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I agree,,,,I dont care if they make a EV vehicle go 0-100 mph in 2 seconds....big deal. Nothing compared to a classic musclecar overall. They ooze cool unlike some modern cars. Guess Im just nostalgic.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:21 AM
Senior Chief

Nothing compares to standing near a top fuel dragster during a warm up! Your body reverberates with the concusion of each cylinder explosion. The smell of nitromethane and the sound is one you never forget.

That said I have raced dirt bikes the last 15 years and have seriously considered an electric dirtbike for several reasons. A lot less maintenance, no air filters to clean, gas/oil to mix, top ends to rebuild. The power is there and if in the same chassis as a piston driven dirt bike the same "feel". The biggest detractor is battery life and cost of replacement. I could ride the electric dirtbike in places I could not with piston driven because it is so much quieter.

Getting back to the discussion about the auction it is intertesting to note some trends trying to make a comeback. I have seen a few of the 70s van conversions that were so popular back then at the auctions and at cruises/shows. Basically people are nostalgic about musclecars and any other item from that era. These items take them back in time and evoke memories and feelings. It is the closest thing we have to a time machine. I am always amazed at the high end cars of the 30s (movie star/celebrity cars). They are huge and very well put together. I think they are neat but I would not want to own one.

It seems there are many niches in the car hobby. Restomods have their place for those who want the musclecar look but driveability and reliability of modern technology. There are a fair amount at the auction but strangely most of the Pontiacs are more traditional builds this year.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm 64 and still ride my dirt bikes ... I'd go electric ... as you say, way less maintenance and when I'm out in the woods I kind of like the quiet, moreso as I got older.

Plus, hey, getting old, I usually only do a few laps around our 3/4 mile trail so I don't think the battery would be a problem.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'm 64 and still ride my dirt bikes ... I'd go electric ... as you say, way less maintenance and when I'm out in the woods I kind of like the quiet, moreso as I got older.

Plus, hey, getting old, I usually only do a few laps around our 3/4 mile trail so I don't think the battery would be a problem.
I grew up racing dirt bikes before moving to race cars ...I wholeheartedly agree that I would get into E-dirt bikes but they would have to be as sustainable as my gas powered ones. That means no chinese made crap that onces it breaks it can't be fixed, it means also spare parts supply for decades to come .

A Honda XR100 is still selling for as much as it was selling brand new 40years ago. I can still find all replacement parts for it at the dealer and they are literally bulletproof.

Get me an e-dirt bike that can do that and im buyin...

Now THATS sustainability... keeping our old stuff running and not buying new stuff is what will save our planet.✌️

Last edited by besserspat; 01-10-2023 at 02:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to besserspat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the little XRs, know them inside and out ... built one for my wife to ride, got all the manuals and parts books on the shelf behind me. We road raced vintage Hondas for 15 years, then did SuperMoto on more modern Hondas for five or six years. Up into the 2000's a person could still find NOS parts for 40 year old Hondas pretty easy.

Here is the wife racing a little SL70 based road racer that I massaged to within inches of it's life. We also ran two late 60's 175 Twins.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest-1-small-800.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	604894  

Old 01-10-2023, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ANOTHER THEAD OFF iN THE WEEDS!

The original post was about the dozen or so RA4 GTO's, GTO Judges, & at least one '69 RA4 Trans Am up for sale at this weeks Mecum Auction in Kissimmee, Florida!

Old 01-10-2023, 09:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
ANOTHER THEAD OFF iN THE WEEDS!

The original post was about the dozen or so RA4 GTO's, GTO Judges, & at least one '69 RA4 Trans Am up for sale at this weeks Mecum Auction in Kissimmee, Florida!
Forgive us old guys as our minds tend to drift! LOL You can catch up on the Mecum auction on this site. I have been posting updates. Heading back on Thrusday and Friday when all the top shelf GTOs/Judges/RAIV cars are going across.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/suns...gtoassociation

Old 01-10-2023, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2 1970 Ram4 Jverts , and even probably the 69 TA Ram4, are cars that will probably never see open road use again .
Unless they become extremely devalued in 20-30 years.

I like the Blue Jvert better, but the OO is likely going to bring more money.
Mcronk if you are able to view them both, could you let us know if the Blue car is on par with the quality of the OO car.

I know the OO car is pretty much top notch.
And so is the 69 TA

Do they keep all these cars indoors during the whole event ?

How does the parking/storage work for auction cars during the event ?
Is indoor parking an extra cost option ?

Are these cars on-site for viewing for the whole duration ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car I am most curious about what it brings is the Blue 68 GTO Ram2 car.
Have never seen a 68 Ram2 GTO bring what I felt they should in finished form.
Maybe I have missed a couple of their results though.

If Aegena Blue doesn't strike a big number at this event , it never will.
Its money should be just a little under a Ram4 Judge.
Higher than a Ram 4 GTO

Immensely rare from the word go, and with ultra ultra low survival ratio.
GrandDaddy of the RoundPorts

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post: