Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
I was told by a machinist that the small ends on the rpm floating rods are manufactured slightly tight so that they can be accurately fit to the pins depending on the application. True or not? Just what I was told.
I think this is a reasonable assumption by your machinist. We are generally talking about .0001-.0003". That's a stroke or two on a rod hone and once set-up, takes less than a minute per rod. It is MUCH easier to hone a big or small end just a touch than to make the hole smaller. Making the ends smaller is a whole ordeal and with aftermarket rods, usually means returning them for replacements. If special order and you have already waited weeks for them, the shop will generally fix them. It can take two hours to fix a full floating rod if the big end and small end are both too big. Removing the bushing, pressing in a new one, de-burr, chamfer, re-hone the ID, it all takes time. The big end, take apart, remove guide bushings if cap screw, grind both parting surfaces, de-burr, clean, re-assemble and hone is allot of work. If really screwed-up, the center to center of the repaired rod will be off a little when done. That's just the way it goes. A street engine will never know the difference. A race engine running a super competitive class like NHRA Stock or Super Stock, it could cost you a HP or two. I always recommend buying the very best parts you can afford and then have them checked anyway.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Butler has gone up to $349 + shipping, for the 5140 Pontiac rods. They're calling it a "Sale" price.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-3164...tegory:1234812

To me, that makes the $400 RPM H-beams an even better buy, as compared to the eagle 5140's.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-16-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Butler has gone up to $349 + shipping, for the 5140 Pontiac rods. They're calling it a "Sale" price.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-3164...tegory:1234812

To me, that makes the $400 RPM H-beams an even better buy, as compared to the eagle 5140's.
Ponyakr looks like the new list price is going to be $389.95 for a 5140 press pin rod. They just priced them out of the market. Go h beams 4340 comes with a bushing to float the pin ( no installing charge ) plus shipping. HOPE butler and manufactures read forms.