THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Senior Chief

He could play every instrument.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure he could play 30+ instruments.

Anyway.. the story will unfold like this ... he has had a long term serious illness, that was just getting to the point it was effecting his quality of life ... so, in fitting with his persona, he decided it was time to go. His first attempt failed, his second one didn't.

For the most part he has been a crusader for a clean life, and Christianity for many years.

I can't imagine Prince growing old and gray ... and I don't think he could imagine it either.

Remember ... don't hate him just because YOU have no talent

Old 04-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Try doing it with non celebrities if you want to see a long list. We'll find a lot of our own family members and children on it. People make mistakes. Sometimes they become addicted to bad things and it's not all recreational in nature. Sometimes doctors get people addicted.
Either way, and this is not directed at anyone in particular on this thread, but if a person dies of a drug overdose and that causes you to disdain their memory, why not keep it to yourself? Why throw darts at the person's memory?
The way I can see this headed, it reminds me of those Westboro Baptist Church folks who show up protesting at veteran's funerals because they hate the military.
Very well said Greg.

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Pretty sure he could play 30+ instruments.

Anyway.. the story will unfold like this ... he has had a long term serious illness, that was just getting to the point it was effecting his quality of life ... so, in fitting with his persona, he decided it was time to go. His first attempt failed, his second one didn't.

For the most part he has been a crusader for a clean life, and Christianity for many years.

I can't imagine Prince growing old and gray ... and I don't think he could imagine it either.

Remember ... don't hate him just because YOU have no talent
Exactly right, he was very anti-drug/alcohol and never smoked either. I remember back in the early 80's I thought he was nothing special but his talent grew on me, he was actually a very talented musician and he also was very accomplished songwriter and wrote many, many songs for other artists and it was not publicized...

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:43 PM

Default lonnie mack

Lonnie mack passing more important to me. yes. thanks bob.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been reading this quote all over:
There are multiple reports that Eric Clapton was once asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player alive, and he responded, "I don't know. Ask Prince."

Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was in my late teens early 20s back in the early 80s and never really thought he was all that great...but now i'm in my 50s and always crank the radio up when I hear his songs and think, Oh cool, Prince.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure I saw Lonnie Mack in a blues bar in the 70's but it was just a blur, so I'm not sure.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Prince was much more than a song writer and musician. He was a visionary and understood what he wanted musically while still a teenager. Imagine that, as a kid right out of high school he was ready to implement his career from top to bottom. Also a philanthropist, he worked with kids, especially the under privileged. And he encouraged many other artists to achieve their dreams. Regardless of the circumstances of his death, Prince was that extremely rare and talented individual who really lived his life to the fullest.

RIP

Old 04-23-2016, 01:07 AM
Suspended

As far as being in pain I can 1st hand tell you about it. I take a large amount of prescribed meds so I can just get up & walk around. If I'm without my meds for more then 24 hours I end up in the ER so they can shot me in the back with something strong to get me home. I have 3 damaged vertebra. & it has developed arthritis in 6 other vertebra & without my meds I can only lay on my bed & cry. I know what he may have been going through, BUT I take what I prescribed & it works. When the rich do it they can get just about any quantity because they usually have a doctor on call that is for them only & when they ask for more they get it. It the dumb ones that abuse it & end up dead. I understand to a point possibly what he may have been going through but there is no reason for anyone to end up dead if the use their meds the way they are suppose to. We now have 2 great artist that have died for taking to much & they paid the ultimate price fro being to rich , to stupid. & having it to easy to get the drugs & the doctors giving up the drugs because their famous.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a good friend that was an LEO, got in an accident on the job, hurt his back, got hooked on pain killers ... when it got to the point where he was going to wheened off of them ... he hung himself.

He tried to OD two weeks before, ended up in the ICU, my wife (nurse) taking care of him. I saw him a week later ... he asked me "Does you wife work in the ICU?" I said yeah she does he said "I thought so, but I didn't want to say anything because she was putting in a catheter at the time" .... he was a stand up, great guy, volunteered with kids in his off time, had a wife and two children ... hung himself a week later.

He was a 40 year old, big, strapping, healthy guy, all American, John Wayne sort of guy. Addiction can F up anyone, absolutely anyone, from any demographic. Not everyone is the same when it comes to addiction. Had freakin nothing to be with being "dumb" My guess is Prince was more intelligent than about 99% of the people here ... myself included.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Visionary indeed.

After getting home from work yesterday morning, I jumped into a mini-tribute on my guitar. Lots of improv solo shredding in Bb, major and major pentatonic. I think you can guess which song.

Prince, thanks for creating a small part of the soundtrack to my life. RIP.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, I found this on the 'tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-8h2FwEFQ8

If Gilmour does an instrumental cover of your song, it is most likely a work of genius. Great stuff.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb What sets the great ones apart ?

This hit me like David Bowie's death

Out of nowhere
Like a ton of bricks

What sets the " great ones " apart ?

Respect earned for talent from those who did not necessarily appreciate
the music.

Beyond the commercial hits - Prince wrote really beautiful simple ballads
about the life we all live.

Listen to " Another Lonely Christmas " or just read the lyrics ...

Godspeed Prince

Jim

Old 04-23-2016, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

funniest prince storey of all time.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e748yj...e---uncensored

Old 04-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
funniest prince storey of all time.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e748yj...e---uncensored
Excellent skit ... and I'd be willing to bet Charlie Murphy's story is almost completely true.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Prince later said in an interview that Charlie Murphy's story was true. He also used a picture of Dave Chappell from that skit on the cover sleeve of a single.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have a hard time buying he died from drug abuse. Maybe something silly like sleep medication like MJ but I just dont see Prince dying of a crack OD.

Dude was bat**** insane but a street drug guy? I dont see it.

We had him at the Rio for a brief period when I worked in the Poker room there. Didnt last long. The amazing ones are always a bit crazy and Prince was no exception. He lived in his own world. Late or No shows for the gigs there often, it was a mess. Breach of contract and all that.

Absolutely a brilliant talent though, crazy or not. I enjoyed Kevin Smith talking about going to shoot a documentary for him that never saw the light of day. It was on an Evening with Kevin Smith 1

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RIP - my teenage years and early adulthood was during what I consider his best music. A true talent who will be missed

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Pretty sure I saw Lonnie Mack in a blues bar in the 70's but it was just a blur, so I'm not sure.
He played a lot in Cincinnati. Saw him at a few venues there in the 70s. He was from a small Indiana town just up the river.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts