Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebo View Post
i think its funny that now that the tables have turned and everyone is clamoring for the hi way gears that yesteryear we just pitched for a set of 4.11's--now we all want the 3.23 or numerically higher gears and are pitching the 4.11's...lol years ago you couldnt give for scrap a rear end with anything less that a 3.23 or 3.42 ratio---now even on epay the hi way gears are commanding a big premium over the race gears--especially since many of the ratios have been discontinued. example: i have a 2.23 ring and pinion from a 79 seville and a 2.14 ring and pinion from a mid 80s cutlass that i snagged years ago from a now closed junkyard..thats right..a 2.14..no typo..not a 2.41.....they also had 2.29 ratios in those cars too..with overdrive..lol..you can go 90mph at 1400rpm...hee hee!
I think you bring up a good point about our changing generation.

Between getting older, gas prices, being spoiled by new cars, going to big car event out of town rather then local cruising of the strip, things have just changed a lot.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Rohrt. Things have changed. I think if new cars never had flush glass, good brakes, or overdrive trannies, we would still be content with 3500 rpm at 65 mph and lousy mileage. But we got older and wiser. We know better now. We have choices to make (thank goodness!). As for top speed, at least with the early GTO's, my maximum seems to be 130-ish. At that speed, the car begins to lift and float in the front end, and feels very, very, light....like it's going to take off. Scary. But these cars are not aerodynamic...not the early A bodies, anyway. I was in my '67 competing against a guy in a 2.41 geared '74 Firebird with a 455 and 2 quadrajet carbs and a 4 speed (yes, that's correct), and we were at 125-130 mph and he could not pass me.....he was stuck. Until he decided to shift down into 3rd gear. He did that and walked me. I later went 145 mph in that car ('74 Firebird), which is the fastest I've ever been in a Pontiac. His car had spoilers, good suspension, etc, and felt glued to the road, in contrast to my ancient goat. These cars need more than a salt flat gear ratio to be able to go fast safely. The neat thing is being able to cruise at 90-100 mph as easily as if it were 65 or 70mph, IMO.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The neat thing is being able to cruise at 90-100 mph as easily as if it were 65 or 70mph, IMO.
Not a 2.56 story, but a overdrive story...

My 67 Tempest Coupe had 2.56 then I went to 3.23. The car took off like a rocket after the swap, but on the highway keeping up with NJ traffic I was revving 3-3500K with 4 speed at 1:1.. Noisy and after awhile got really annoying.
Installed the Tremec 5 speed. Out on RTE 80 cruising. Looked at tach and I saw 3200 rpms. I was like?? WTF??? Where is this extra cruising RPM drop??? Yeah I was doing 120.. For awhile. Like a real long time. From getting on 80 West from 287 to Exit 34B. So 10 miles or so. The funny part was traffic was moving so it didn't feel like 120.

The Burb Files
Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 PM

I just finished swapping the 3.55 rear in for the 2.56 in my 400/4 spd Bird. Replaced the old tired springs and bushings while I was at it. I love it! It's like a completely different car. I was always kind of disappointed in how it drove with the 2.56's. It just didn't have the get up and go that I thought it should. Now it's a lot more fun to drive and a lot easier too since the gearing much better matches the power curve of the engine. Definitely not a highway cruiser but that's not what I do with anyway so I'm pretty pleased with my decision. The OD tranny would be great but this car is #'s matching (except for the rear) so I think I'll probably just keep her as is.

'69 Firebird original 400/4 speed
'72 Chevy Blazer 4X4 350 TPI/ 4 speed
Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rownbike View Post
I just finished swapping the 3.55 rear in for the 2.56 in my 400/4 spd Bird. Replaced the old tired springs and bushings while I was at it. I love it! It's like a completely different car. I was always kind of disappointed in how it drove with the 2.56's. It just didn't have the get up and go that I thought it should. Now it's a lot more fun to drive and a lot easier too since the gearing much better matches the power curve of the engine. Definitely not a highway cruiser but that's not what I do with anyway so I'm pretty pleased with my decision. The OD tranny would be great but this car is #'s matching (except for the rear) so I think I'll probably just keep her as is.

Did you put in an Eaton or Auburn?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb350 View Post
Did you put in an Eaton or Auburn?
I wish No, just a full rear that I picked up from another forum member. As tempted as I was, I wasn't ready to fork out that kind of $$ right now.

'69 Firebird original 400/4 speed
'72 Chevy Blazer 4X4 350 TPI/ 4 speed
Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,a TKO goes in a 69 bird with virtually no cutting.Just put one in mine.Tom

Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location really dictates what people like for gearing! Here in So. Cal. where gas is $$$ and mostly highway 2 series gears work really well.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
FYI,a TKO goes in a 69 bird with virtually no cutting.Just put one in mine.Tom
What about the drive shaft and the cross member? Which TKO did you put in? Thanks

Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a X member from Hurst Driveline and bought a driveshaft off of Ebay that was in a Camaro with a TKO,had to change the rear U joint.You can just get yours cut and buy a yoke from them also.I have done a couple of the TKOs and not a big deal for a first gen bird.GTOs and big cars take floor work.Tom