Old 03-08-2014, 01:19 PM

The 'Judge Prototype' poster is from a company in the late '70s/early '80s called 'Bookman Publishing' from Maryland. The Prototype poster is actually a mailer sent out to advertise there 'Pointiac Store' book selections(on back side of folded poster) with an offer to purchase an unfolded poster(see offer in photos).
If you look at Jeffs framed photo , it has the same folded crease marks as my still folded mailer.
The photo was an original PMD photo and given credit by Bookman Publishing in lower right cormer along with there description as a 'Judge Prototype'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0apont1.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	355963   Click image for larger version

Name:	0apont2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	355964   Click image for larger version

Name:	0apont3.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	355965   Click image for larger version

Name:	0apont4.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	355966  

Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that's Tom Bonsall's company - that was his name, right?

Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got my issue of HPP today. Rocky – Great info on this subject!

One of the most interesting:
I have seen the Sept. 68 bulletin calling the new GTO model “Judge” due out in Jan. 1969, but have never seen the October 31 1968 press release stating that in November there will be a new yet to be named car “similar to the GTO” but with a 350 HO, special right side hood scoop that matches the hood tach, accent fender stripes,….…

So in 9/68 a factory notice calls out a future GTO called Judge, but in 10/68 a factory notice calls out the 350HO non-GTO version. Either one group in Pontiac was not talking to another group or for a short time, both versions were going forward to release.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as what I noticed and dislike in the ET photo the first thing is those god awfole cornering lamps, who would want those on a muscle car? On a luxury car hell yah but on a muscle car?
Next is how bad the chrome bumper is fit to the rest of the car like the didn't even try.
Lastly for now is the stripe, no good to me, the Judge striping is much better.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Given the odd combo of stripper postie with cornering lamps and power antenna I suspect the car was some kind of pilot car for assembly which had those options to finalize sheet metal fitting. Maybe it was for fisher body.

The Pontiac skunk work guys probably grabbed it because it was the only example available of that 1969 model-bodystyle available before production started.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 03-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of us who were buying new cars back then were on a budget. I know because I was one of them.

I ordered a new car in '69. Not a Pontiac as I worked for another dealer. The package car was over $4300. Two years later I ordered the T-37 as I figured out with the first car that
I did not want a car that garnered unnecessary attention (Police). If I had it to do over again I would have ordered the '69 differently but got caught up in how cool or hot it looked. I guess I have never been a one after that for glitz and glamor.

I even ordered the post car vs hardtop for that reason. The final on the T-37 was $3800 including a $150 special delivery charge. Saved money and had more go.

Even today, IF I were to buy a new car I still dislike the idea that I have to buy a 'package' to get the big engine. Don't get me wrong, I do like the GTO and the Judge, I just always wanted to do like it was before '64 and get the big engine in the lower model. I guess that maybe I am a 'darksider' masquerading as an A body fan. LOL
JMO.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

so what was the car you bought in 69

Old 03-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a '69 Ford Torino GT Fastback, 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, 3.90 gears and posi.
Dealer never ordered it but ordered a similar car with different engine/trans. He did not want to deal with possible warrenty work so he never ordered it. He ordered other options that I did not order.

I had sold my car and was driving the shop truck. My father in law had passed away and I was sweating when the car would arrive. I received a song and dance about when the car would arrive. Then this one came in. I needed a car so I took it and he said he would have to cancel the order on the other car. Of course, I found out later he never ordered it.

New car was gulfstream aqua/black interior/which stripe.. Beautiful car but it was a LEMON. 351/2v/FMX. Back window leaked in the right corner. Had to take it out and and try to fix it 4 times. Trans was rebuilt 5 times in the first year. Engine never ran right. A real slug. Dash fell off, T handle came loose the first day, console lid broke the second day, there was a rattle in the drivers door that was never fixed.

As soon as I went to work somewhere else, within 3 months I ordered the T-37. Almost $600 cheaper and what a pleasure to drive. NO PS, PB or much of anything else. Did order carpet, AM pb radio and vinyl seats. All others were GO goodies.

Okay, now back to the subject at hand. Anyone read the story in one of the mags back in the day about entitled, "Does the Tiny Tiger's Growl Equal the Road Runners Beep Beep?" 350HO Tempest w/Bob Cat package vs stock 383 RR. Tempest won.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the story on the 350 HO you mention. Ran faster than the RR with a Royal tuneup. Mag is in storage so I can't get it.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, it sounds like the Ford dealer got stuck with a bunch of warranty work on the car he ordered instead of the one you wanted. Guess he was probably second-guessing his decision somewhere in the middle of all that!

BJ

Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Overuld,
Yep. It was a mess. Only had the T-37 in for one thing. Wrong tube for positive battery cable from battery to starter. Had to replace it and the cable. Shorted out on the exh. manifold and would not shut off w/o letting clutch out and then disconnecting the battery. Thankful for spring ring clamps.