Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RCD had nothing to do with any of it...I did.

I approached RCD to make one for my project, and they weren't interested, so I made my own, using one of theirs as a "template".

I managed to sell a few of mine, with Scott being one of my customers. I also sent my first one I made to Bob Caciotti for display use at the PRI show one year. Bob basically took mine, which was essentially an RCD design "stretched" to fit our Pontiac engines, and then put it on steroids to come up with AP's version, which was designed to be a bolt-on for the AP block. Mine's designed to work with any block using a front engine plate.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default mount

Well Brian Thanks to your work You made my idea possible too. Look foward to see our cars together at a Event someday. ;-)

Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Suspended

Bob and i spent hours fitting and modifying your support to the block because nether one of us felt bolting it to a motor plate was the best method..... difference of opinion. My set up proved to work flawless.... glad to see you are bolting it to the block!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Bob and i spent hours fitting and modifying your support to the block because nether one of us felt bolting it to a motor plate was the best method..... difference of opinion. My set up proved to work flawless.... glad to see you are bolting it to the block!
Bob's bracing on the AP unit is overkill (hence my steroids comment). This adds weight. The bracing on mine is identical to RCD's design, which has irrefutably been proven over and over for the last 20 odd years or so.

Attachment to block:

An engine plate is obviously a compromise, as attaching directly to the block like the AP unit does is optimal. The issue with mounting it direct to the block however is that there aren't a sufficient amount of timing cover mounting holes in the block with the right location and spacing near the crankshaft centerline to accomplish it, and any timing cover would cause fitment issues with the base of the support, hence the reason for AP's template for drilling mounting holes to the outside of the timing cover. The only drawback then is breaking into the water jackets through the front bulkhead, which if running a dry block, is of no concern. I've no qualms about the engine plate being used to attach it, as other non-Chevy Brand-X combo's running RCD units have been doing it for years without issues.

The support on the Dirty Bird indeed worked flawless, as it should have with all of the over-engineering that went into it. I just wanted to set the record straight as to what originated from where and who was involved, and it certainly wasn't RCD...they did squat for us.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
...I just wanted to set the record straight as to what originated from where and who was involved, and it certainly wasn't RCD...they did squat for us.
Amen! Bill Takanabe's build up using Brian's crank support system...

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't wait to see Bill's car running...but it looks like it's mocked up upside down.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:54 PM

Any updates on this thing? I'm getting ready to start building my new setup now...

Old 02-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Luhn Performance did a crank support for Brian H, Mike.

(Based on parts from a bunch of parts Cooper bought at one time but never used. Pics from Brian H are on the PY site)

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 PM

Picking up my Vortech Billet Xi on Monday then over to Chassisworks to get the ball rolling on the gear drive setup. Someone really needs to buy my YSi brackets I have in the for sale section to help the causeI! lol.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default back from a break myself.

well guys good to see the Pontiac community is alive and Strong!!!!!!
had a ruff few years, finally took the project out of the trailer few weeks back and going thru it all. To see were I am at and what i need to do to finish it off. Got some long awaited parts to resolve some issues. Hoping the next few weeks will allow things to come together. And see if i cant get my combo to fire off.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default motorplate ???

ok my old engine combo had the motorplate mounted to the timing cover. Now that im using BOP's belt drive it mounts to the block which moves it back a few inches. Me like a dummy at first just transfered all the bolt holes. but after installing engine found lower mounting bolts interfere with upper A arm bolt, so need to redo mounts. Couldnt stand the idea of extra holes in the the plate so just got my new plate from BOP and gonna start transfering holes over. Guys that know my project. Wondering should i add the 3 headbolt holes and use them also to give me extra rigidity since i have so much weight out front. ?? what you guys think??

you can see where i tied in all 3 on drivers head. was thinking about making a support to go from both the upper head bolts(the one is out on pass. side) to front of the suppercharger mounts for extra support. also

Last edited by bryansMtngto; 03-06-2016 at 07:22 PM.