Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love a great story - thanks for sharing!

That car is perfect - don't change a thing!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 PM

I love the documentary of your trip home. I think I may eventually do some sort of interstate-cross country trip like that. the pictures are what really are getting me excited with the car in the foreground. kind of like a family trip

Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Senior Chief

Default Day 4 – Taos, NM to Page, AZ

The route I took across New Mexico left Taos and crossed the Rio Grande Gorge before wandering through the Carson National Forest.

Although not at rugged as around Taos, the road is smooth and wanders through some sparsely populated land full of forest service roads and trails. It’s mostly BLM land, so you can ride motorcycles, camp, fish, & all kinds of other good things. I stopped about lunch and parked in a meadow to change some badly worn rear shocks. The peaceful scenery and tinkering was a good break from driving. Sometimes I forget to stop and smell the roses.

Eat More Chicken!

Once again on route 64 (I see a trend here), I drove through an Apache Indian reservation and came out in Farmington, NM. From there, my plan was to go to the Grand Canyon across some long, empty roads. Mid-course, I changed my mind and ended up in Page, AZ for the night. It’s a neat little town beside Lake Powell and it looked like a lot of people were having a lot of fun. I may have to go back sometime and find a boat to rent.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default Day 5 – Page, AZ to Zion National Park

I’m typing this from the upper Emerald Pools in Zion National park. Overrated, in my opinion. If you want to see a neat lake, hike up to Hanging Lake off I-70 sometime. Anyway, I’d never been to Zion and it’s a peaceful break. I stopped at a campground along the road and changed my front shocks. Better…but still a boat.

I digress. Getting back to chronological order, Lake Powell looks pretty cool. My grandpa told me about a place where you could climb some pitons from the water and see a cave with old Indian relics. The water level is much lower now and he wonders is its still accessible.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sometimes I forget to stop and smell the roses.
I really think that's not an accurate statement!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

I agree. In other words, (you lucky sh!t).

Absolutely awe inspiring pictures!!!!

John.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Trailwing,

Excellent Posts and Pics! I've got a great idea, why don't you turn that '72 back around in a couple of weeks and bring it to Norwalk!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Home at last

It was 108 at lunch. I must have been in the desert.

Oh look! I must be in Paris.

It was cold at dinner. I must be home. Now I have a big green car that barely fits down the driveway or in the garage. What have I done?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Trailwing,

Excellent Posts and Pics! I've got a great idea, why don't you turn that '72 back around in a couple of weeks and bring it to Norwalk!
I try to take one good vacation a year or so... usually on a motorcycle. Everybody wonders why it took me so long to get 3/4 of the way across the country when I was only supposed to be driving a car back.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Senior Chief

Oh yeah... Take that Mr. buzzkill. Just kidding. Some of my friends advised me to have the numbers and locations of all the U Haul dealers along the way. I wouldn't doubt that some bets were made against me.

That 350, although kinda slow, ran so smooth that it made me rethink any future engine upgrades. I still want more power but would like it to be just as reliable and not get too much worse gas mileage. I drove 2800 miles total and mpg ranged from 15.9 to 20, with a solid average of 18. I wonder how efficient any of the Ponitac heads really are? This would be the perfect candidate for a fuel injected 350 that would accept an overdrive transmission. Too bad I already gave the go-ahead to start building my short-block. Darn those Pontiac parts are high!

Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gorgeous car. Great thread, I really like the pics from your road trip.

By the way did you happen to run into two long haired guys and a hippie looking gal in a primered '55 Chevy Gasser along those back roads?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TLB.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	211722  

Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door View Post
Gorgeous car. Great thread, I really like the pics from your road trip.

By the way did you happen to run into two long haired guys and a hippie looking gal in a primered '55 Chevy Gasser along those back roads?
I saw several places that looked like they might have been from Two lane Blacktop or Smokey and The Bandit. Funny note... If you watch Two Lane Blacktop, there's a scene towards the end where they stopped at a diner. I thought the road/diner looked familiar and am pretty sure it was filmed at Deal's Gap, above Robbinsville, NC where my dad lives. I mentioned this to my stepmom and she said she used to love to drive that road in her black '69 Mustang with a "hood she loved". She had to trade it in (with 13,000 miles on it) because a baby seat wouldn't fit in the back.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Senior Chief

OK... This is wierd. I just Googled Two-Lane Blacktop and realized there's a GTO in it and parts of it were filmed in New Mexico. I haven't watched it since the late '90 before I joined the Air Force. I lent it to a friend who never gave it back.

I now own his LeMans... So, Johnny, "where's my movie".

Although I haven't tested jets in a couple years, that dude sure would have known what 500 ft-lbs meant if he was for real. I must, however, give him credit for being "online" before Al Gore invented the interweb.

Last edited by trailwing; 07-13-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: I screwed up
Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the virtual "ride-along" and great story/pics. Glad you and the car made it safely home and keep us posted on your plans/upgrades for the car.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
I saw several places that looked like they might have been from Two lane Blacktop or Smokey and The Bandit. Funny note... If you watch Two Lane Blacktop, there's a scene towards the end where they stopped at a diner. I thought the road/diner looked familiar and am pretty sure it was filmed at Deal's Gap, above Robbinsville, NC where my dad lives. I mentioned this to my stepmom and she said she used to love to drive that road in her black '69 Mustang with a "hood she loved". She had to trade it in (with 13,000 miles on it) because a baby seat wouldn't fit in the back.
Deal's Gap - the infamous "Tail of The Dragon" claimed to have 318 curves in 11.1 miles! Awesome road a bike or sports car!

BJ

Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Deal's Gap - the infamous "Tail of The Dragon" claimed to have 318 curves in 11.1 miles! Awesome road a bike or sports car!

BJ
Agreed. I've done it on a bike (4 yrs ago) and in a car just a month ago (2007 Acura tl type s).

If you are into high performance driving/riding, I highly suggest this road. If you are into sight seeing, I suggest the Blue Ridge Parkway or somewhere other than the "Dragon".

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Chief

I've got engine questions... Should I post here or start a new thread?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Start a new thread on the topic, great story here! and great car!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hit the "Street Section" and do some searching. There is a huge amount of information here and of course you can always start a new thread for your specific application. Look through the "sticky" at the top for engine build combinations.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal70lemans View Post
From what I understand the '69/'70 GTO Judge was the only A-body car with RII's that originally came without beauty rings - they look better without them IMO. My chrome RII's are from Specialty Wheels (15x7 front - 15x8 rear) that I just put on this year.

The GT cars also came without the rally rims.

PS congrats on your new find, looks great, I love the stripes.