Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
+1 on that.

My '71 LeMans Sport came from the factory exactly the same as your '70.

I did the power disc upgrade and it made it a different car.

So worth the time and money.

Sweet ride
Power disc brakes are definately on my list of upgrades. Along with some 15" Rally II wheels, one of those RediRad Aux input things, and true dual exhaust w/ some Flowmaster Delta Flow 40's.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good find. Just goes to show that there are some "little old lady" low milage cars still out there in 2009.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Still waiting on an update from my mechanic on how the Lemans is doing. I talked to him on Saturday, he said he found a wire loose from the distributor! Boy that'd be nice if that's all it was! I'm going to drive by the shop tomorrow and see how it it.

I ordered one of those Redirad Aux port things today, two of them actually. They've got a discount going on right now, I got a total of 13% off!

I also found a couple more mods to add to the Lemans. I'd like it to have a tach, I read through some threads and found that most people weren't happy with the in dash repro tachs due to bad back lighting. So a hood tach is the way to go, plus they look awesome! If I go with the hood tach, I'll add the in dash clock probably. A local GM wrecking yard has a steel repro GTO hood I've got my eyes on too.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's70Lemans View Post
Still waiting on an update from my mechanic on how the Lemans is doing. I talked to him on Saturday, he said he found a wire loose from the distributor! Boy that'd be nice if that's all it was! I'm going to drive by the shop tomorrow and see how it it.

I ordered one of those Redirad Aux port things today, two of them actually. They've got a discount going on right now, I got a total of 13% off!

I also found a couple more mods to add to the Lemans. I'd like it to have a tach, I read through some threads and found that most people weren't happy with the in dash repro tachs due to bad back lighting. So a hood tach is the way to go, plus they look awesome! If I go with the hood tach, I'll add the in dash clock probably. A local GM wrecking yard has a steel repro GTO hood I've got my eyes on too.
Your car (except the color, of course) is identical to mine. It's at the body shop right now having the repop GTO hood and hood tach installed (check out all the other upgrades I've done in my signature notes) and I can't wait to see how it looks (the repop hood will need a lot of work to look good). If you have any questions about anything send me a PM and I'll be glad to help (by the way, the dash clock can be an absolute nightmare to install without the right tools). You can check out some pics of my car in the photo album section.

Awesome find on your part, you will LOVE that car when you start driving it.

Just a suggestion... but if it turns out not to be the timing gear, replace it anyway and maybe the water pump too.

See ya,

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM

I got a update on the Lemans. I think I mentioned before my mechanic found a loose wire going to the distributor. He also did a compression check and it's good, also checked the timing and it's good. It acts like it wants to turn over he says, but keeps back firing up through the carb, and the carb is leaky. He doesn't think it's the cam gear, but it could be a flattened cam lobe? Time will tell, I know if it needs a new cam I'll get a new 4bl intake manifold & carb while I'm at it.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal70lemans View Post
Your car (except the color, of course) is identical to mine. It's at the body shop right now having the repop GTO hood and hood tach installed (check out all the other upgrades I've done in my signature notes) and I can't wait to see how it looks (the repop hood will need a lot of work to look good). If you have any questions about anything send me a PM and I'll be glad to help (by the way, the dash clock can be an absolute nightmare to install without the right tools). You can check out some pics of my car in the photo album section.

Awesome find on your part, you will LOVE that car when you start driving it.

Just a suggestion... but if it turns out not to be the timing gear, replace it anyway and maybe the water pump too.

See ya,

Scott
Thanks for the feedback Scott! I would like to see some pics of your car after the new hood & tach are on. Once my cars running I'll start going through it, and getting it dialed in with new stuff. I'm excited to see it in my driveway soon. I can imagine adding the in dash clock would be a bear. I rewired the complete underdash in my 67 Camaro with console guages and that wasn't fun.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Scott! I would like to see some pics of your car after the new hood & tach are on. Once my cars running I'll start going through it, and getting it dialed in with new stuff. I'm excited to see it in my driveway soon. I can imagine adding the in dash clock would be a bear. I rewired the complete underdash in my 67 Camaro with console guages and that wasn't fun.
I hope to have it back by the weekend, but not counting on it. I used to own a '67 Camaro, too (RS, 327-2v, powerglide, Granada Gold w/ gold interior, bought in '88 and sold in '01)... looked cool, but drove/handled like crap, the Lemans is a waaaay better car to cruise than that thing was.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I hope to have it back by the weekend, but not counting on it. I used to own a '67 Camaro, too (RS, 327-2v, powerglide, Granada Gold w/ gold interior, bought in '88 and sold in '01)... looked cool, but drove/handled like crap, the Lemans is a waaaay better car to cruise than that thing was.

Scott
Crazy! Mine is a 67 RS/SS 350 that was originally Granada Gold w/ Black Standard interior. It also handled like a pig so I put tubular control arms, full Hotchkis suspension, Baer Brakes all the way round, and 17" wheels. Here's how it looks now...

Old 10-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

NICE! I still have a soft spot for those cars.

It took me a few minutes to find an old pic of mine. This was one of the last pics I took before I sold it.

Scott

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
NICE! I still have a soft spot for those cars.

It took me a few minutes to find an old pic of mine. This was one of the last pics I took before I sold it.

Scott
Wow, it's cool to see how my car is supposed to look. Minus the black vinyl top mine originally came with. I bet yours looked sharp with the gold interior, don't see that to often.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just a thought...

Quote:
It acts like it wants to turn over he says, but keeps back firing up through the carb, and the carb is leaky.
Just went through this on a car that I purchased which had basically been setting for the last 15 years...IT WAS THE OLD STALE GAS AND CRAP IN THE TANK!

Car actually backfired so hard that it split the brand new muffler apart. I dropped the tank, replaced the tank and sending unit, replaced the plugs, and it purrs like a kitten now.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice car Jay! I think yours is in better shape than mine but I found mine under similar circumstances with 78K on the clock and in good condition. I've always been a first gen firebird guy but when I scored my Lemans it felt great to have an A-body, and 70 has a one year only front end so it's very unique. Mine is not a Sport though and I noticed yours does not have the "P O N T I A C" emblem on the decklid. Mine is a post car also. Does anybody know about which cars did or did not get that emblem?

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 10-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know why or why not but that PONTIAC is the largest set of pot metal lettering I have ever seen. I measured them at 19 1/2" wide. Every time I look at them I think they are going to break in front of my eyes.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver97ta View Post
Very nice car Jay! I think yours is in better shape than mine but I found mine under similar circumstances with 78K on the clock and in good condition. I've always been a first gen firebird guy but when I scored my Lemans it felt great to have an A-body, and 70 has a one year only front end so it's very unique. Mine is not a Sport though and I noticed yours does not have the "P O N T I A C" emblem on the decklid. Mine is a post car also. Does anybody know about which cars did or did not get that emblem?
I'm pretty sure my Lemans is supposed to have the PONTIAC emblem on the trunk. The lady I bought it from said she was at the store when someone bumped the rear left fender a lil. You can see the repair in the trunk, nothing major. But the trunk did get repainted so my guess is they decided not to put it back on.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

Did you get that car running and home yet, Jay?

Talked to the body shop today hoping that the hood and hood tach were done... no dice, looks like next weekend (I hope) before I can get some pics up.

Scott

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Did you get that car running and home yet, Jay?

Talked to the body shop today hoping that the hood and hood tach were done... no dice, looks like next weekend (I hope) before I can get some pics up.

Scott
Hey Scott! No luck for me either. My mechanic is pulling the valve covers today to get a closer look at the cam/valve action. Hopefully he'll get it fired up soon.

Question for ya Scott, besides the hood & tach itself what else did you need to get to make the hood tech work?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great score on that '70 Jay, cool ride.
That thing has heaps of potential. Looks like you totally SCORED